CRS Newsletter Fall 2013
NEW Outlook App for Smartphones
NOTE: The app is FREE for iOS devices, but there is a cost for the Droid version.
What's Going on in the Lab?
Kindergartners wrote autumn stories using Clicker.
Fifth graders used Pixie to make comic strips that told the story of Jamestown.
5th Grade Creates Storyboards
To create their comic strips, the 5th graders started with a storyboard to help them plan their project.
Protect Your Teacher Laptop
- Close the lid of your laptop at the end of each day. Dust can get into your laptop and choke up fan.
- If your laptop looks dusty..dust it off.
- Unplug your laptop at least once a week and let the battery run all the way out. Then plug it in and recharge the battery.
EDuTechs Meeting - A User Group for Teachers to Learn About Technology
Tuesday, Nov. 12th, 3:15pm
Cooke School - Computer Lab
November 12 - VoiceThread (all grade levels)
Nov. 19 - Clicker 6 (best for grades K-3)
Nov. 26 - ActivInspire - Tips & Tricks (all grade levels - Come learn something new)
Dec. 3 - Web 2.0 Tools for Teachers (all grade levels - time saving tools)
Dec. 17 - PhotoStory 3 (best for grades 2-5)
Technology Users Survey
Survey Link - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/H3YVJBD
Checking Out Laptops & iPads
- ALWAYS check out the equipment -even if you are only using 3 or 4 laptops for FasttMath. The calendars are our only way to monitor equipment use.
- Be prompt when picking up and returning equipment. There are often teachers waiting to pick up equipment.
- Usually teachers check out equipment for use in the AM (8:00 am - 12 noon) or PM (12 noon - 3:00 pm). Fourth and Fifth grade teachers can sign out equipment for a full day so that they can cover both classes.
- Check out the same equipment for up to 3 days in a row. If you need it longer than that, check with the CRS.
- Always report damaged or equipment that is not working to the CRS, as soon as possible. Use the ETT Service Request form.
Equipment Check Out calendars - https://schools.vbcps.com/sites/ECK/calendars/default.aspx
Thanksgiving on the Web
The First Thanksgiving - http://www.scholastic.com/scholastic_thanksgiving/
Student Teachers & Long Term Subs
Student TeachersThroughout the school year, some of you might have the opportunity to work with a student teacher or practicum student. Since these students are not employed by VBCPS I am unable to check out or assign a laptop to them. They are supposed to have access to the "teacher" laptop in order to use the Promethean board. We do not have extra laptops to provide to teachers who are supervising these students. You will need to share. Student teachers can access printers, the internet and software programs by using the generic log in.
Long Term Subs
If you are ever out on long term leave, remember that you must leave your laptop in your classroom so that the long term sub is able to use the Promethean board during your absence.