September 24, 2021
Picture day is scheduled for Tuesday, September 28, 2021. We will have photos taken during the school day and your student will be able to bring home their ID card as a keepsake.
Picture packets were sent home this week. You can also order pictures online at: https://www.dorianstudio.com/
If for some reason your child is absent, we have picture retakes scheduled for November 9, 2021.
Please contact the office if you have any questions.
Virtual Open House
This year’s Machias Open House will be held virtually on the evening of Thursday, September 30. Your child’s classroom teacher will hold a Zoom meeting and share important information with you about your student's class.
To accommodate families with multiple children, teachers will hold four sessions. Each session will share the same information, so choose the session time that works best for you.
Look for communication from your child’s teacher with step-by-step directions regarding how to access the Zoom meeting. This communication will include the classroom teacher’s Zoom link, as well as your child’s login information. If you have questions related to Skyward/Family access, please call the office.
We look forward to seeing you on Zoom for the Machias Virtual Open House.
Sixth Grade Band
Mrs. Forbus, Band Instructor
Would your family benefit from two different FREE assistance programs this year?
1. Operation School Bell - Operation School Bell provides clothing to students who demonstrate financial need and attend school regularly. We will gather information from the form below - send that to School Bell - and will be distributed to your child to bring home when it arrives.
a. PLEASE FILL OUT THIS FORM FOR EACH CHILD: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdB69sTQqvVIz0iAqcuEpSKSWPAzUyCircH035txdTHbsOCgg/viewform?usp=sf_link
2. Backpacks for Bobcats - We provide weekly backpacks to each student who could use a little extra food in the pantry. We would distribute backpacks every Friday. Other arrangements can be made if that time does not work. Backpack delivery will start on October 15, 2021.
a. PLEASE FILL OUT THIS FORM FOR EACH CHILD: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfITtkknuLPw2ilMM2iX6YHtY5pDwXdXJRq-BuPWOFabbkajw/viewform?usp=sf_link
Please feel free to reach out to the office if you have any questions.
Student Calendar for 2021-2022
Bus Transportation Information
Please use our eLink/Versatrans online tool to find your student’s eligibility for bus service, Individual student bus routes and schedules can currently be accessed through eLink/Versatrans.
- Login: (student 7 digit ID# with 0 ) Example 0911111
- Password: (8-digit birthdate-no spaces) Example 02222021
Posted bus routes and pick-up and drop-off times are approximate. Please remember that traffic, weather and other unforeseen circumstances may cause some routes to be early or delayed. Also, as students choose not to ride or to ride the bus during the school year, pick-up and drop-off times are adjusted. For example, the elimination of just one bus stop (because students no longer ride or are absent from stop on a particular day) can affect a route by 2-3 minutes. It is recommended that parents and students arrive at their bus stops at least 5 minutes prior to the published times.
It is our district’s practice that kindergarteners will not be let off the bus unless the student’s parent/guardian (or designated adult) is at the bus stop at the time of student drop-off. Kindergarteners whose parent is not at the bus stop will be returned to the student’s elementary school where the parent (or emergency contact) will be called for student pick-up.
Please continue to check eLink/Versatrans on a regular basis as student schedules and routes may be adjusted through the first few weeks of school. If you notice an issue with your child’s transportation information, parent/guardian transportation assistance is currently available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. by calling 360-563-3525 or emailing email@example.com.
For more information about our district’s Transportation Department, please click here.
Machias Parking Lot Plan
Like most schools, Machias experiences large back-ups at both arrival and dismissal. Due to the space we have, there is no easy fix, but we have worked with Snohomish County to address safety concerns in our parking lot and know the guidelines below will help expedite the process:
1. Due to COVID, we ask for parents/guardians to stay in their car/line to drop off and pick up their child.
2. When students leave their car, we ask for them to wear a mask, so we know they have a mask before entering the building.
3. When entering the row of parked cars, split to form two lanes. This will continue through the parking space area.
4. Using two lanes will continue until the lines curve to the left. At this point, they will converge to form one lane again through the actual pick-up area. Cars from the two lanes will alternate as they merge into one. Please remember to be courteous and wait for your turn.
5. As students are loaded into cars by our staff, those cars may pull to the left and leave the pick-up area and parking lot. Cars still in line should pull as far forward as possible so that we can load cars efficiently.
6. Please do not “cut” into line or speed so we can ensure safety for all.
7. If you want/need to enter the building, please park in designated parking spaces.
8. Refrain from talking/texting on the phone. This creates an unsafe situation for our students.
9. Please do not turn around in neighboring driveways (use Beach Dr, north of the school).
10. Do not drive onto the grass beyond the paved shoulders.
11. When arriving, please do not drop your student off before 8:25 am.
12. School begins at 8:35 am – students should be in their classrooms by this time.
13. When dropping off, please do not stop at the crosswalk area – pull all the way forward to fully utilize the large sidewalk area for students to enter the building.
14. Dismissal is at 3:15 pm (1:15 pm on Fridays).
We appreciate your patience & respect for our students, parents/guardians, and the dismissal team!
Any balances remaining your student’s food service account from the previous school year will move forward to the new school year. If your child has graduated, funds are automatically transferred to a younger sibling's account. If you child has graduated and there are no younger siblings, or if your child is no longer a district student, a refund of any remaining account balance can be requested by contacting Food Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-563-7357.
Kindergarten and New Student Registration
Online registration materials are available at www.sno.wednet.edu/newstudentenrollment. We encourage families to utilize the online student enrollment and registration available at that site. If needed, paper copies of the new student registration packet are available in school offices or can be downloaded at the links below. Packets can be returned at the school the child will attend.
- Click here to download a complete packet of new student registration forms (English).
- Click here to download a complete packet of new student registration forms (Spanish).
- Click here to download a complete packet of new student registration forms (Russian).
The Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP) is a child development program for children aged 3 or 4 and their families. Children who experience poverty, homelessness, or are living in foster or kinship care, or are adopted from foster or kinship care, as well as children receiving special education services with the school district, are prioritized. Although it is uncertain what the opening of school will look like for the fall, ECEAP is still enrolling students and offering family support coaching, teacher check-ins, resources, educational activities, as well as online family support groups and informational classes to help ready your child for school. Please call 360-563-4641 for more information or 360-563-4636 for more information in Spanish.
Please call the office if you have any questions. 360-563-4825
Machias Contact Information