Feb. 20th, 2014
From the Desk of Teacher Quality
- Interested in presenting at the Summer PLS in Athens?? Use the following link to submit your proposal by Friday, April 4th: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pA_LDVHIdOQuCLvTO3hiVbhXT0AlWsdyhV6_24atqU8/viewform
- Summer PLS Hotel Information will be relayed in the coming weeks
- The 2014 Master Teacher Application can be found at the following link:
If there are any questions please email Rich Copeland email@example.com
February Professional Development
Thursday, Feb. 27th, 7:30pm
This is an online event.
TheSIS - It's HERE!!!
- Production-Sat., Feb. 22 – We go LIVE!!!
- Our website will be down for production beginning Sat., Feb 22 @ 8am - Sunday, Feb. 23 @ 10 pm. Please plan accordingly.
- A Tutorial site will be available for tutorials and directions.
- TheSIS Q&A session will be held on Tues., Feb. 25 from 7:30 pm - 8:00 pm with our very own Instructional Technology team.
- To set up a new account:
· Go to gavirtuallearning.symbaloo.com
· Create an account with the Georgia Virtual School email address (@gavirtualschool.org).
· Only teachers and staff should create an account.
· This will allow your account to automatically appear under the Georgia Virtual School branded solution and you will receive any updates to schoolwide webmixes when they are added.
· You should immediately see two webmix tabs (Teacher Resources and Student Resources) after creating an account. These webmixes are still being updated, so you will see new items and changes being made over the next week.
· Instructions will also be shared to help you use Symbaloo with your class and within your department. You are welcome to go ahead and try out creating webmixes on your own as Symbaloo is easy to use. If you have any questions, please contact Kelli Robinson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Late Work Policy applies as follows:
- Work submitted after Wed., Feb. 19, midnight but before Thurs, Feb. 20 at midnight- 10% deduction
- Work submitted after Thurs. Feb. 20, midnight but before Fri, Feb. 21 at midnight- 20% deduction
- Exception: Special Education students whose accommodations allow for 2 extra days. Assignment due date is extended until midnight Friday, February 21st.
- Monday, Feb. 24 at midnight – 10% deduction
- Tuesday, Feb. 25 at midnight – 20% deduction
- After Tuesday midnight – Grade will be a 0
- If a student/parent requests a change of schedule
- All students are allowed one schedule change per semester
- The decision to make this change is up to the discretion of the instructor and simply needs to be documented in the communication log. Instructor can contact DC if he/she has questions but this is not required.
- Schedule changes do not have to be consistently made across all classes if a student is enrolled in multiple classes with us.
- If an instructor feels that a schedule change might benefit a student the instructor can recommend to student and parent that the schedule be changed. If the parent/student agrees this should be documented in the communication log.
Teacher pay will be pulled and invoices sent out next week once TheSIS is live. Instructors will receive email reminder to sign invoice. Instructors will not see message as a reminder to sign invoice. If you have questions about pay, contact Amanda Williamson
Orders due by end of Feb. Send checks payable to Margaret Thomas to Margaret at 153 Arlington Way, Brunswick, GA 31523.
Check D2L homepage.
So grades are showing for all students.
Continue to send student information at website form in Teacher Toolbox.
Where do you GaVS??
Tell us - #WhereIGaVS
Even More Teacher Reminders
- SPED Accommodations-Alan Hendrick has joined the SPED team and will be sending out special accommodations for students.
- GaVS-Winter Break-GaVS does not have a winter break. Students should stay on the GaVS schedule.
- Creating and Sharing Documents-Use the HELP icon the the homepage when providing help information to students.
- Transfer Students-Watch for emails sent regarding transfer students. Contact and welcome new students. Help transfer students determine schedule to follow and update gradebook with transfer grade.
- Make sure all students are in a group.Any student who has not selected a schedule should be enrolled in the 12 week group.
- Refresh the gradebook (open gradebook and allow it to fully load) daily so all grades will populate correctly.
Please share the following information with your students.
- Extra opportunity for students who are particularly creative and a potential opportunity for differentiation in classrooms
- Google is asking K-12 students to create their doodles based on the theme “If I Could Invent One Thing to Make the World a Better Place...” To enter the competition students download the application form, print it, doodle their version of the Google logo based off this year's theme and submit online or by mail.