Eagle Update: October 2, 2020
Barton Hills Elementary
Hello BHE Families:
I can hardly believe it is October. This has been such an incredibly different start to our school year and we so appreciate all of your grace and flexibility as we continue to navigate the changes.
This next week we will begin serving students on campus as part of the return to campus phase in process. Parents of students invited to return to campus on October 5th based on the phase-in schedule should have received a letter from your child's teacher. As we phase in students we will notify parents weekly who is included for the following week.
With students returning to campus, I wanted to remind everyone of the following:
- Only students who are receiving in-person instruction and staff will be allowed on school grounds and in the building and classrooms. This includes the playground, field, and blacktop area. Our outside area will now be reserved for students who are attending in person. Students/visitors who come to use those areas during the day and are not attending in person will be asked to leave.
- The special area schedule has changed. We will begin having special area instruction/classes everyday on our usual 3 day rotation. Your classroom teacher will help you know which special area you will start with on Monday. Some of the special area times were adjusted slightly to accommodate our in-person transition. Special area teachers will be teaching both in-person and remote learners at the same time.
- Face Masks that cover the nose and mouth are required to be worn at all times both inside the building and while outside. Gaitors, face masks with vents, bandanas and anything that does not cover both the nose and mouth will not be allowed.
I know there continue to be questions around the opening of schools and what will in-person in look like. Please know that we are continuing to refine the instructional model and schedules as we phase in students and how we start next week will likely evolve. However, I've created a document with more specific reopening information that can be found HERE.
AND if you are new to our school, or just missing seeing the building we have created a short video tour for you that can be found HERE.
I know this year has not been easy but we see and appreciate all your efforts. Thank you for partnering with us in your child's education. Together we are a strong team
Upcoming Dates and a Calendar Change
October 12 - This is now a Student Instructional Day***
November 3 - This is now a Student Holiday/Staff Professional Development Day***
December 18 - No school for students/ Teacher Staff Development Day (Not on AISD Calendar)
January 5 - No School for Students/Teacher Staff Development Day (Not on AISD Calendar)
April 30th - No School for Students/ Teacher Staff Development Day (Not on AISD Calendar)
***The Austin ISD Board of Trustees approved an update to the 2020-21 school year calendar, changing the Oct. 12 student holiday to Election Day, Nov. 3.
To accommodate a student holiday for Election Day, the district moved the professional development day, previously scheduled for Monday, Oct. 12, to Nov. 3, federally recognized Election Day.
This change will not affect the number of instructional days or the daily instructional time for students. A student holiday for Election Day will decrease the number of people on campuses that may potentially be used as voting sites for the general election. It will also encourage a lower capacity for a campus and allow for greater social distancing for voters to assist in limiting the spread of COVID-19.
AISD Mobile App
The use of the AISD App is going to be essential for students returning to in-person instruction. We are asking parents to please download the app and complete the screening prior to bringing your child to school. We will ask to see the green check mark at the screening stations.
Additionally, the app allows for quick access to:
- see the calendar for the current school year,
- links to
- Parent Cloud
- Parent Self Serve
- School Café,
- the School Directory, and
- the latest news.
Locate the free Austin ISD Mobile App in the digital store for your mobile device by searching for Austin ISD.
For questions concerning the new app, call 512–414–9187.
AISD District 5 Trustee Candidate Zoom Forum
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
Gifted and Talented Process Information
The GT referral window for the 2020-2021 school year opens up on September 21st. If you are interested in referring a K-6th grade student that is not identified as GT, or is currently in Talent Explore, for the evaluation process, please submit their name by completing and signing the linked parent GT checklist form below by October 13th. Please note that forms submitted/timestamped after October 13th will NOT be accepted.
More information about GT in AISD can be found at the links below:
If you have any questions please contact Damien Mills at Damien.Mills@austinisd.org