Armstrong High School Weekly Update
Week Of October 26, 2015 to October 30, 2015 (Wk8)
"Membership Has Its Privileges - Building A Strong Foundation”
- Lesson Plans are non-negotiable – Lesson plans must be submitted weekly using the new RPS format – UBD model – Lesson plans are a clear picture of Teaching and Learning opportunities in your class
- Reminder to all teachers - please ensure that you are using your Daily Attendance Logs to keep documentation of your back up attendance. More Logs are available at your request.
- Don't forget to return to Mrs. Murray your daily inspirational thought to be read over the announcements. Feel free to submit multiple thoughts of inspiration!
- NEW Announcement Form! All announcements must be submitted electronically. Click on the link above. Announcements must be submitted the day before they are expected to be read.
- Implementation of the 5-5-5 Parent Call Log has begun – Please see Mrs. Carter if you need additional information
Attendance will start 1st DAY! Remember to only use the attendance on the home page of ASPEN. Mark students absent who are not present the 1st day. The system will turn them into NO Shows.
Teachers are reminded that Daily Attendance is to be taken in ASPEN within the first 15 minutes of class each period. Usage of the Daily Attendance Logs is not an option, it is mandated per the Code of Virginia - § 22.1-259.
To ensure we get the most benefit out of this initiative, please keep in mind the following reminders:
- Tickets are to be handed out only to those students who have arrived to their first period of the day on time.
- Do not give out tickets for any other reason. This is strictly an attendance incentive, behavior/academic rewards can be done separately at the teacher’s discretion.
- Do not allow students to leave class to deposit attendance tickets, they should only be deposited during hall passing.
- Please remind students to write their names on the back of each ticket. (yes, some will still forget, we know..)
Like any system, consistency and continuity are key. It's important that we have 100% compliance on this. If you have a 1st or 2nd period class, please participate fully, anything less will greatly reduce the effectiveness of this program.
If you need more tickets (or never received them in the first place) please let Mr. Carvalhaes know ASAP.
- All staff must wear their RPS ID at all times
- Always lock up all personal items
- DO NOT give studentsbuilding keys for any reason.
- DO NOT open doors for staff. Side entrance will be locked by 8 AM each day. After 8 AM only use the front door entrance.
- Restricted Movement means Restricted Movement! No one is to move when a Restricted Movement Notice has been given. Students nor staff are permitted to be in the hall way. It is for your safety!
- DO NOT purchase snacks for students out of the vending machines. The Vending Machines in room 118 have been relocated to teacher work room.
- DO NOT block a door if a students is trying to leave. Dial 501 to alert security.
- DO NOT encourage students to leave you room. If you need a student removed, alert security.
- DO NOT deny students entrance into class if they are late.
- Please place notification on your door if you are relocating your classroom.
- Follow the 30/30 rule, always!
- Remember NO lunch starts at the bell!
Strengthening the Craft of Teaching and Learning
"100 and 80" days to make a difference in the lives of our students"
Monday - October 26, 2015
Homecoming 2015 - Restore the Roar - 150 Years - Twin Day
Bell Schedule - No Enrichment Period this week -
8:45 SOL Testing
Math Department Lunch and Learn Day - Please walk with your class to the cafeteria -- and walk them back to class -- they are to remain in class until 6th period ends
8:00 AM – 9:35 AM 1st Block
9:40 AM -11:10 AM 2nd Block
11:15 AM – 1:10 PM 3rd Block
Lunch A (1st Floor) 11:35 PM – 12:00 PM
Lunch B (2nd Floor) 12:45 PM – 1:10 PM
1:15 PM – 2:45 PM 4th Block
2:45 PM Student Dismissal
2015-16 Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) - select classes - 2nd period- 8:30 a.m. - staff from City will be on site to assist - all materials will be provided
Any staff interested in Coaching the Powder Puff Game - contact Mrs. Murray - practice will begin the week of October 19th
Wrestling First Meeting: 2:45pm in Room 121.
Weekly 90 Minute Professional Development - Room 211 -
o Kudos & Perfect Attendance
o Tardy to Class Interventions
o RPS Referral Procedures
o Lunch & Learn Updates
o Homecoming Updates
o AIP Plan
o Formative/ Summative Assessment Follow Up
o Lesson Closure
Tuesday – October 27, 2015
Homecoming 2015 - Restore the Roar - 150 Years - Bow Tie/ Classic Man & Woman Day
8:45 SOL Testing
History Lunch & Learn - Please walk with your class to the cafeteria -- and walk them back to class -- they are to remain in class until 6th period ends
Wildcat Volleyball travels to Hanover. Girls' play at 6:00 p.m. and Boys' play at 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday – October 28, 2015
Homecoming 2015 - Restore the Roar - 150 Years - Decade Day
· Pageant – 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM
o 2nd Period Instruction: 8:00 AM – 8:45 AM
o 8:45 start calling classes down
· After pageant, students dismissed to 4th Period
o 4th Period Instruction: 10:10 AM – 11:10 AM
· Contestants Campaign during Both Lunches
English Lunch & Learn - Please walk with your class to the cafeteria -- and walk them back to class -- they are to remain in class until 6th period ends
Wildcat Cross Country races in the Conference 26 Championship at Spotsylvania HS. Girls begin at 4:00 p.m. and Boys begin at 5:00 p.m.
Wildcat Volleyball travels to Patrick Henry. Boys' start at 6:00 and Girls' start at 7:00 p.m.
SACS planning and committee meeting 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Media Center
Thursday – October 29, 2015
Homecoming 2015 - Restore the Roar - 150 Years - Class Color Day
· Freshman – Black
· Sophomore – Orange
· Juniors – Blue
· Seniors – Tiffany Blue & Feather Gray
All students report to homeroom - first - for voting
Voting during Homeroom
o Department chairs will deliver one voting laptop to each teacher.
o Ballot will be emailed to homeroom teach at 8 am.
o Teachers will be instructed to lock their doors during voting.
o Each student in the homeroom will vote and sign that they have after the have placed their vote.
At the conclusion, Department chairs will collect voting laptops and sign off sheets. Students will be dismissed to 1st period.
PLC, Foreign Language, & Health Lunch & Learn - Please walk with your class to the cafeteria -- and walk them back to class -- they are to remain in class until 6th period ends
3:00 - 4:30 p.m. Transformation Team Meeting - Room 102
JV Football travels to Hanover for a 7:00 p.m. contest.
ALP Session: 2:45 p.m. in Room 121
Peter Paul Development Center Info Feast: "Growing Great Schools" 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. at PPDC
Friday – October 30, 2015
Homecoming 2015 - Restore the Roar - 150 Years -Game Day
Free Style Friday (Ticketed Event) – 7:30 AM – 7:55 AM in Auditorium
Science Lunch & Learn - Please walk with your class to the cafeteria -- and walk them back to class -- they are to remain in class until 6th period ends
At the conclusion of lunch all Pep Rally Participants report to sponsor:
o Band – Mr. Van
o Flash Mob – Mr. Miles
o Step Team – Ms. Lee
o Homecoming Court – Mrs. Davis-Johnson
· 8th Period Instruction: 1:15 – 1:45
· 1:45 Start Calling Down Classes for Pep Rally
· 2:00 pm Pep Rally
· 4:00 PM – Board Bus for parade
o Mr. Taylor will do runs on Red/White to Old Armstrong
· 5:15 Parade Step off
o Buffalo Soldiers Bike Club
o Franklin Military
o Class of 2019
o Mr. & Miss Freshman (Corvette 1)
o Whitcomb Rec Football
o Class of 2018
o Mr. & Miss Sophomore (Corvette 2)
o Armstrong JROTC
o Class of 2017
o Mr. & Miss Junior
o Powhatan Rec Football
o Past Homecoming Queens (Corvette 3-6)
o Armstrong Cycle Team
o Chimborazo Rec Football
o Pretty in Pink Dance Squad
o Class of 2016
o Mr. & Mrs. Senior (Corvette 7)
o Creighton Rec Football
o Armstrong Cheerleaders
o Mr. & Miss Armstrong I (Corvette 8)
o JV Football
o Mr. & Miss Armstrong II (Corvette 9)
o Virginia Union Band
· 6:15 Prepare Field for Coronation of Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong
· 6:30 Coronation of Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong
· 7:00 PM Kick Off
· Half Time: VUU Band
Friday-Wildcat Football hosts Hanover for our 2015 Homecoming.
5-5-5 Call Logs
DC: C Planning Meeting Agenda
Wildcat Football travels to Varina for a 7:00 p.m. kickoff
Saturday - October 31, 2015
Questions, Comments, Concerns? Please email me at your earliest convenience.
As always, thank you for all of your hard work and for continuing to Inspire Excellence for all of our students!
Concerns and Updates
- If you have a club or group interested in participating in the Homecoming Parade on October 30, please send Mrs. Murray an email to receive an entry form. Also if you belong to or know of any outside clubs or a graduating class that might be interested please let Mrs. Murray know.
- Senior Portraits by our very own Mr. Hockaday and the Yearbook student staff members - Armstrong Auditorium - select times 1st, 2nd, and 6th period
- Seniors must take the SAT before January because of the new SAT scheduled for March. Any seniors taking the SAT in March will NOT have scores back until May
- update--Armstrong has been selected to participate in the 2015-16 Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) - select classes - October 26th - 2nd period- additional information forthcoming
- Benchmark Testing Window - Tuesday, October 27th - Tuesday, November 24th - All Benchmarks will be in a folder on IA called RPS Nine-Week Benchmarks and within a sub-folder called 2015-2016
- Benchmark Testing Dates: IA History Core = Nov. 4th/5th, IA English Core Nov. 6th/9th, IA Math Core = Nov. 12th/13th, IA Science Core = Nov. 16th/17th, Extended Core Testing Window = Nov. 2nd to Nov.12th
- Reminder - teachers should not add or move children within IA platform, nor do we correct schedules in IA. Changes are corrected in ASPEN and uploaded overnight in IA
- Confirm the accuracy of student schedules prior to the beginning of the testing window
- Any staff interested in Coaching the Powder Puff Game - contact Mrs. Murray - practice will begin the week of October 19th
- Homecoming 2015 - Restore the Roar - Celebrating 150 years - October 26th - 30th
- Homecoming Pageant - Wednesday, October 28th
- Thursday, October 29th - voting
- Friday, October 30th - Homecoming Pep Rally - 8th Pd - Homecoming Parade - 5:15pm - Homecoming Game - 7 pm
- November 3, 2015 - City-Wide Professional Development
- November 4 - Gang Awareness School Assemblies grades 9-12 throughout the school day by grade level- parent meeting begins at 6:00 p.m.
- November 10th - End of First Nine Weeks -
- 2nd Attempt for Term Grads -Fall SOL End of Course Writing Assessment - November 16 - 24, 2015
- The JROTC Military Department will host its annual Veterans Day program- November 10, 2015
- November 11th - 2 hour early release - teacher workday
- November 18th - No schoo for students - Parent Teacher Conference
- November 25th - 27th - Thanksgiving Break - NO School
- Graduation - Tuesday, June 14, 2016 -- 7:00 p.m. Armstrong Altria Theater
- Are your lesson plans updated and outside of your door?
- Please be mindful of the students that rotate out of your class with or without a pass. All students must be given a pass to exit your classroom. Hall walkers should not be given an exit ticket out of your room.
- It is imperative that the Faculty and Staff adhere to all due dates and meeting times.
- Make sure student attendance is taken in every class.
- Please make sure you are honoring the 30/30 time frame.
- All teachers are expected to stand at their door during the change of class.
- Please encourage students to move along quickly. We all must communicate the same message to these young people.
- Thank you for all of your hard work!
Virginia Union University flyer regarding the Masters of Arts in Curriculum and Instruction Program of Studies
This Verification form is to be completed by the cooperating teachers for FALL student teachers. The Verification form for the first placement is due on Friday, October 23, 2015.
Order Deadline is Friday, October 23, 2015. All money is due to Mrs. Murray by Monday, October 26, 2015
Google Doc of October & November Due Dates. Can ONLY be accessed from @richmond.k12.va.us accounts.
Want to submit a Daily Announcement? Click this button! Requests must be submitted a day in advance.
If you are completing your lesson plans in Google Docs, this is the Google Doc to make a copy of and edit. Don't forget to rename the file to reflect your name and subject!
If you are completing your lesson plans in Microsoft Word, this the the Word Doc to download and edit. Don't forget to rename the file to reflect your name and subject!
Due every Friday to document parent contact. 5 minute calls for 5 students every 5 days.
Due every Friday to Department Chairs to document weekly common planning meetings.
AHS Quick Glance Document to assist in finding your students' previous SOL scores. Use this to ascertain their background knowledge to better assist them to succeed!