Mrs. Murphy's News
Week of September 21st
All About Math...
The students also learned 2 new games in math; Back to School Bump It and Scoot. They enjoyed both games. The entire class did a wonderful job working with a partner and helping them out when needed. I was so proud of them and they earned a lot of marbles during math game time.
Next week we will begin our 'Place Value' math unit.
If you are looking for ways to help your child with math at home, pick up a set of addition and subtraction flashcards and practice math facts at home! In first grade we are expecting students to master all math facts that have a sum of 10. (ex: 6+4=10 or 10-7=3.)
All About Reading...
We also focused more on sentences this week. We completed a sorting activity, where we cut out sentences and sorted them in declarative (.), interrogative (?), and exclamatory (!) groups. We kept our work in our desk so that we can use it during our reading and writing times, if we need to.
Our Read to Self goal was achieved and we read silently for 20 minutes! We were all so excited! Next week we will begin 'Read to Someone'.
* Does your child have their behavior gram?
* PJ day was so fun and relaxing. The students enjoyed having their stuffed animals in for the day and showing them our classroom and materials.
* We created an expectations booklet. This booklet helped us visualize what it would look like to follow each expectation.
* Wednesday October 7th, half day of school. 11:30 am dismissal.
* Box Tops are due on Friday, October 2nd!