MSHSL Officials - 2021-2022
May 18, 2021
2021-2022 MSHSL Officials Registration
In anticipation of students fully returning to school in the fall, the Minnesota State High School League continues to work on 2021-2022 programming to ensure that necessary processes are in place when activities and athletics resume.
Officials Registration for the 2021-2022 school year is now open!!
- All officials registration and eligibility items are on ArbiterSports.
- The ArbiterSports registration system will accept Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.
- Registration closes for each sport when the deadline for the completion of the online meeting and exam has passed.
- Adapted officials will need to complete a separate registration. It is titled, 2021-22 School Year (Adapted Sports).
- Dance Team is identified as Dance during the registration process.
- The late fee will go into effect on July 1 for returning fall officials. Returning winter officials must register (complete payment) by September 1 and spring officials by February 1 to avoid this assessment.
A couple of tech tips:
- The best browsers to use for ArbiterSports are Firefox, Google Chrome, or Microsoft Edge. If you receive an Ooops message it is often the browser that is not working to load the page.
- Make sure you do not have pop-ups blocked.
- If any of the pages still do not load, you made need to clear your cache and/or cookies (Mac Users - https://clear-my-cache.com/en/apple-mac-os.html Windows Users - https://clear-my-cache.com/en/windows.html).
- Click on the Next button towards the upper right of the screen to move to the next page.
Registration Fee Structure:
Returning Veteran Officials
First Sport - $60.00
Each Additional Sport - $20.00
First & Second Year Officials
First Sport -$30.00
Each Additional Sport - $15.00
Late Fee (July 1 for fall sports, September 1 for winter sports, and February 1 for spring sports) - $30.00
Lower-Level Officials -$15.00 This registration is for officials who ONLY officiate lower-level (JV, B Squad, Freshman, etc.) - DO NOT COMPLETE THIS REGISTRATION IF YOU PLAN TO OFFICIATE ANY VARSITY CONTESTS.
Reciprocity Officials - $15.00 This registration is for officials who fully registered in other states and want to also officiate in MN.
Items that are provided to officials as a part of registration payments:
- Rule and Case Books (2021-2022)
- Rule Supplements
- Supplemental medical and liability insurance that covers each official for the entire school year - information is posted on Arbiter MSHSL Central Hub
- Background checks for all new officials and annually 20% of returning officials
- Access to Arbiter MSHSL Central Hub content
- Mechanics Illustrated documents (FB, BB, BA, and SB)
- Online rules meetings production
- In-person clinics in select sports
- In-season training modules
- NFHS Exam
- Arbiter eligibility tracking
- Shipping costs for preseason packets, materials, rule, and case books
- Staff time, consultations, rule interpreters meetings, and pre-season meetings
- Sport-specific rules coordinator staff
- Officials Observation Program in select sports
- Charter/Legacy Association Program
The Level System was discontinued in 2020-2021. Please consider the following information when you register. The Eligibility Tiers listed below will be checked for each activity. Please deselect Tiers that you are not interested in completing:
Regular Season Official - (For those who only desire to officiate regular season events)
- Will have the requirements of payment, concussion module, background check, online meetings, and exam.
Section Tournament Official - (For those who desire to officiate regular season and be considered for section events)
- Will have Regular Season requirements and in-person clinic attendance (in sports where this is applicable).
State Tournament Official - (For those who desire to officiate regular season and be considered for section and state events)
- Will have Section Tournament requirements and additional requirements as determined by the Coordinators for each sport, including viewing training videos, completing a mechanics exam, or other sport-specific requirements. These items will have adjusted due dates (not the same as the online meetings or exams) that will vary by sport.
Student Official - (Any official under the age of 18)
- Will have the requirements of payment, concussion module, online meetings, and exam.
Lower-Level Official - (For officials who ONLY officiate lower-level (JV, B Squad, Freshman, etc.) - DO NOT COMPLETE THIS REGISTRATION IF YOU PLAN TO OFFICIATE ANY VARSITY CONTESTS.)
- Will have the requirements of payment, concussion module, and background check.
Reciprocity Official - (For officials fully registered in other states)
- Will have the requirements of payment, background check, concussion module, and “Home” state requirements.
The online meetings and exams will open in August for fall sports as per the schedule located on the MSHSL Arbiter Central Hub.
All officials are eligible to be considered for Section Tournament or State Tournament regardless of the number of years in officiating, provided that the eligibility items under those Tiers are completed.
Rules Books & Supplemental Materials
Supplemental materials such as extra rules books, Simplified and Illustrated, and Rules By Topic can be purchased via the MSHSL Online Store (https://mshsl.myshopify.com/). Purchased items will not be shipped until approximately two weeks prior to the season. Products will be added to the MSHSL Online Store as they become available.
All policies for officials are in the Manual for Athletic Officials. The updated manual will be available after the August Board of Directors meeting.
We are moving ahead with plans for fall sports. We plan to hold two in-person clinics in August in addition to two Zoom clinics for each sport that requires clinic attendance for post-season consideration.