Occupation and Description
- Help athletes develop and get through rough times.
- Usually provide mental support for an athlete that has just got an injury.
- Deal with athletes and those around the sports side of psychology.
- Monitor behavior of a team, player, or group of people.
- Can host workshops for the players and others.
Certifications Necessary to Practice
- Sports psychology is a branch off psychology it self.
- There are sport psychology programs that will not be required, but will help.
- Also all states require some type of certification or licensure.
- Helps to be part APA (American Psychological Association.)
Daily Activities: Nature of the Work
- Creating interventions that would help the player to compete at his/her greatest level.
- Giving athletes mental strategies that would help them after an injury or other life events that may bring that person down in life.
- A master would help and a PHD would help as well.
Payday- What is average income?
- Depending on where you are working you could make more or less.
What skills are necessary to be successful in this profession?
- - An interest in science and maths.
- - Excellent communication and listening skills.
- - Empathy and the ability to deal with people in distress.
- - Honesty and integrity.
- - The ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- - The ability to work well in a team.
Practice Settings: Where would you work?
3 Fun Facts
-Muhammad Ali used one
- Nolan Ryan also used one