WHPS Local Community Resources
During School Closure April 2020
WHPS Grab & Go Meals and Community Food Programs
You may be thinking about what WHPS children will do for meals while school is out. The good news is that the U.S. Department of Agriculture partners in local communities to serve free bagged meals. It’s food that’s in, while school is out. There are no income requirements, and any student of the West Hartford Public Schools (WHPS) may enjoy a bagged breakfast and/or lunch. This letter outlines information about WHPS Nutrition Services’ “Grab and Go” pick-up meal service and community food programs.
WHPS ‘Grab and Go’ Pre-packaged Breakfast & Lunch Bags
Fresh, pre-packaged, and shelf-stable breakfast and lunch bags will be provided for pick-up as follows below. Please remember to practice safe physical distancing of at least 6 feet apart from others while picking up food bags.
ATTENTION: *CHANGES to the upcoming two-week Grab and Go schedule:
OPEN: Monday - 4/6, Wednesday - 4/8, *Thursday - 4/9
CLOSED: *Friday- 4/10 (Good Friday)
APRIL SPRING VACATION
OPEN : *Tuesday -4/14 AND *Thursday -4/16
CLOSED : *Monday -4/13 , *Wednesday -4/15, *Friday -4/17
TIMES: 11:00 AM -12:30 PM
West Hartford Grab and Go sites:
- Braeburn Elementary School 45 Braeburn Road, WH 860-561-2200
- Charter Oak Int'l Academy 425 Oakwood Ave (use Flatbush Ave entrance) 860-233-8506
- Conard High School 110 Beechwood Road, WH 860-929-5050
- King Philip Middle School 100 King Philip Drive, WH 860-233-8236
- Whiting Lane Elementary School 47 Whiting Lane, WH 860-233-8541
- Hillcrest Avenue Neighborhood Outreach Center Located at 105 Hillcrest Avenue
Grab and Go Breakfast Bags
Grab and Go Lunch Bags
Fresh vegetable or vegetable juice
Pre-Packaged Sandwich: (Uncrustables sunbutter & jelly OR deli meat & cheese OR nutritious alternate)
Hartford Resident Grab and Go Sites- At 14 locations
West Hartford and Surrounding Food Programs
West Hartford Food Pantry: Offers free pre-packed bags of groceries containing healthy, essential food items. For more information about the food pantry or other local food resources, please call 860-561-7580 or 860-561-7569 or visit West Hartford Food Pantry. Non-perishable food donations are much needed. Also see West Hartford Food Assistance- How to Get Food
Foodshare: Has several West Hartford and Hartford mobile locations that provide fresh produce and other foods once per month at various times. ID is not required. Anyone is eligible, but bring your own bags. See Mobile FoodShare Around West Hartford
UPCOMING: FREE Produce Distributions- Open to anyone in need:
- Hartford- Monday, April 6 - Friday, April 10 (English Flyer) Spanish Flyer
- New Britain- Thursday, April 9 (English Flyer) Spanish Flyer
Fern Street Food Ministry - Breakfast and Mobile Truck available for "grab and go." Pre-packaged food from the truck and go-to boxes for breakfast - This happens every other Monday. April 6th and April 20th are the next events.
Plans in place to run the April Food Pantry for registered families. Food will be pre-packed. Next Event: April 18th. Please call Jacob Lee, Fern Street Food Ministry Coordinator, with any questions. 860-233-3669 x109
Gifts of Love- Basic Needs Supports and Resources (860) 676-2323
For more information about student “Grab and Go” pre-packaged meals, please call or email Roszena Haskins at email@example.com / 860-561-6906.
To apply for SNAP benefits by phone, online or by mail:
- FoodShare (860) 286-9999 Ext. 104 (takes approximately 30 minutes)
- End Hunger CT! (866) 974-7627 (takes approximately 30 minutes)
- CT DSS (855) 626-6632 online at https://portal.ct.gov/dss or by mailing application to DSS Scanning Center, PO Box 1320, Manchester, CT 06045-1320
Eligibility into the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is determined by income (click here for details on the program and required documents). A family’s gross monthly income must be below 185% of the FPL in order to be found eligible for the program (click here for eligibility guidelines). Expenses such as rent/mortgage and utilities are taken into consideration only after eligibility is determined. Expenses will help establish the monthly allotment for the benefit.
Secondary resources: https://www.smore.com/agzj9-whps-online-resources
Pupil Services resources: https://www.smore.com/1vxr6
Library resources: http://www.westhartfordlibrary.org/services/ebooks_eaudio.asp
For absolutely all other inquiries, requests, needs, please contact Roszena_Haskins@whps.org or 860-561-6906.
To Donate Non-Perishable Food, Gift Cards or Money
- Food Donations should be made to West Hartford Food Pantry. WHPS Grab and Go sites will accept food donations and deliver them to WH Food Pantry for distribution.
- Monetary Donations- Can be made to West Hartford Town That Cares Fund
- Gift Card Donations- Growing Great Schools has partnered with the schools nurses and social workers of the West Hartford Public Schools to provide gift cards for groceries and other daily living expenses for families in need. All donations at this time will be directed to the purchase and distribution of these gift cards to help ease the burden in our community caused by the current pandemic. Please use this link to make Online Donations. Any amount can help! Questions can be directed to Liz Isaacs at firstname.lastname@example.org.