The Patriot Premier
The Weekly Update for NPHS families, May 4 - May 8, 2020
After 12 years of grade school– give or take– students in America and around the world are expecting to graduate this time of year. It's a life milestone, and for many, represents "a coming of age"– a child transitioning into adulthood. But this year the standard pomp and circumstance is not possible for the class of 2020 because of COVID-19. In Alaska, the Department of Health and Social Services has spelled out restrictions that limit the number of people allowed to congregate.
So this week, our amazing graduation committee put their heads together and created an individualized film session for each NPHS graduate and their parents. We filmed the process in Oehring Auditorium and put it on our FB page. As of this writing (in just 4 days) that video has had over 50,000 views and is being watched around the country (if you missed it, you can view it here).
While this year's graduation is less than ideal, we are attempting to make it as special as possible for our graduates. The entire ceremony is being filmed and pre-recorded, and will air on Channel 11 TV on Thursday, May 14, 2020, at 7 pm. After this broadcast, the video will be available on YouTube and posted on FaceBook. Graduates will be able to pick up their official diploma the next day, and details around this process will be forthcoming soon. Thank you, graduates, and family of graduates, for your support and cooperation during these trying times!
And, if you're a student who's not yet a senior, hang in there and keep the faith...your time is coming!
Have a good week,
Information about End-Of-Year (EOY) business below:
• EOY Locker Pick Up: Students and Parents, if you have personal things at the school you need to pick up, please call the school at 488-3761 weekdays during the hours of 7:30 am - 2:30 pm to arrange a pick-up. We still have many personal items ready to return to students. However, because Facilities needs to begin deep-cleaning of the building, we will donate or dispose of any personal items not picked up by Tuesday, May 12, 2020.
• Textbook/Chromebook/Library books return process: Students, if you have these school items in your possession, you need to return them to the school by May 15, 2020. After this date, fees will be assessed to your PowerSchool account (textbooks left in school lockers have already been collected and scanned back into our school). Sign up here to return your school items.
• School Fees: If you have school fees, click here and follow the directions to pay them online.
• Yearbook Distribution: Students can pick up their yearbook at the bus doors of NPHS from 10 am – 3 pm for two days only: May 5th and May 6th (Tuesday/Wednesday of this week). Questions? Email Ms. McFetridge at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Senior Graduation, as mentioned above, is being safely and individually filmed this week and will air as a pre-recorded ceremony on Channel 11, Thursday, May 14th, at 7 pm. During this filming process, we are required to limit the number of individuals in an area and maintain social distancing...thank you for your cooperation.
This Week: May 4th - May 8th
Pictures From Last Week [Click the Picture to Enlarge]
Don the Regalia!
Ms. Wade greets graduates outside of Oehring Auditorium with cap and gown to start the graduation filming process.
Mr. Ballek takes each graduate's picture to create the ceremony's processional.
Mr. Wiley greets parents and holds up an applause sign when it is time to hoot and holler for their graduate.
Don the Regalia!
Mr. Bierer directs and videos seniors as they walk across the stage, turn their tassel, and graduate!
Mr. Spilinek reads allowed each graduate's full name as they are being filled graduating.
Ms. Missler safely and enthusiastically distributes yearbooks to seniors after they graduate.