Week of January 22nd- Happy Lunar New Year
* D A T E S * T O * R E M E M B E R *
- January 22- Lunar New Year
- January 26- End of the Quarter
- January 26- Lost and Found Clean Out
- January 27- No School- (Professional Day End of Quarter)
COMING MARCH 3rd- School-wide Fun Run (The Eagle Strut)
Eagle Strut: Fun Run:
- Students will run/walk the course and enjoy music, a photo booth, and more!.
- Students can ask family, friends, or a local business to donate.
- There will be student prizes including: a pizza party for your class, a Chipotle gift card, or a free froyo at Sweet Frog! It does not matter how much money each student can raise, but it matters that we all participate.
- This week students will have the chance to vote on a logo for the Eagle Strut. We have six finalists and students can pick the winning logo!
We are excited since this is one of those fun activities we could not sponsor when we were stuck inside during COVID. Stay tuned for more Eagle Strut news!Parent Volunteering can include: fundraising, soliciting sponsorships, decorations, prizes, activities, set up and clean up. Contact Katherine Coleman for more information: email@example.com or 202-253-0667.
MCPS Statement on Anti-Semitism
MCPS and the Board of Education recently issued a statement condemning anti-semitism. The EagleNation also stands behind this statement and agrees that, "we must challenge one another to learn and understand what antisemitism, hatred, and racism are and the harm they cause."
One of our EagleNation students was in contact with a member of the Anti-Defamation League and met with the admin team to share resources from the organization. As follow up to that meeting, the coordinator met early last week with Ms. Shorts and is planning to provide a speaker at Eastern for the early spring. Currently, there is follow up about the logistics of scheduling this experience during the early spring. The date will be added to "Important Dates" when it is confirmed.
MCPS 5 Things to Know: January 19
Here are five things you need to know for Thursday Jan. 19. Get information about a family forum addressing the dangers of Fentanyl, free SAT prep classes for high schools and more.
15TH ANNUAL (HBCU) COLLEGE FAIR
Montgomery County Public Schools MD in Collaboration with the US Department of Education Initiative would like to invite the MCPS community to attend their 15th Annual HBCU Fair 2/17/23.
The traditional college fair will take place on Friday, February 17, 2023, from 6:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. During the fair, students and parents can interact with college admissions representatives and attend workshops, including a seminar and activities for middle school students. Transportation will be available for students and parents at designated high school locations. You can contact a counselor if you would like more information about the transportation pick up locations.
FOCUS ON MIDDLE SCHOOL: There is a financial preparation session specifically focused on the middle school parent and how to take advantage of the time you have for financial planning and decision making for your student.
MD Regional KidWind Challenge
The Maryland Regional Kidwind Challenge will take place on March 30, 2023 from 9am to 3pm in the Benjamin Banneker Room of the University of Maryland College Park's Adele H. Stamp Student Union.
- Here is a video that provides a brief overview of KidWind Challenges.
The priority deadline for coaches (a supporting adult) to register student teams (typically 1-4 students) is January 15th. The final deadline for coaches to register student teams is January 31st. This opportunity is being shared with families and staff to find an adult who may be interested in sponsoring a team.
** F A M I L Y * R E S O U R C E S * *
W E * A R E * H E R E * T O * H E L P !
Office hours: Monday through Friday from 7:50-4:20
Emails and phone numbers for support in the school:
- Main Office: (240) 740-6280
- Admin Secretary: Ms. Perez: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attendance Secretary: Ms. Blanco: email@example.com
- Front Office Secretary: Ms. Brioso: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resource Counselor: Cherine Roberts- email@example.com
- 6th Grade Counselor: Cayla Cwerner- firstname.lastname@example.org
- 7th Grade Counselor: Genevieve Loving- email@example.com
- 8th Grade Counselor: Carmen Salazar- firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Principal - Ms. Shorts: email@example.com
- 6th Grade Assistant Principal- Charles McFeamster: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 7th Assistant Principal- Deidre Levin: email@example.com
- 8th Grade Assistant Principal- Matthew Kerwin: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parent Community Coordinator - Mr. Pablo Molina Chemali: email@example.com
- PTA President- Terry Seery: firstname.lastname@example.org