Voyager Crew Bulletin
June 12, 2020: Last Day of School Year 20-21
Strand Spotlights and Info:
Dear Voyager Crew,
I woke up this morning recognizing how much I will miss you all over the summer. Even though our "in-person" time has been more limited over the past months, I feel I've learned so much about, with, and from you, and we've bonded in our remote but shared experiences. I wish you a restful, relaxing break, despite our continuing unknowns. You should feel tremendous pride in all you've accomplished and learned!
Thank you Deb Hatheway and Sandy White for your service to Silver Strand Elementary School and your enduring impact on us! Congratulations on your well-earned retirement!
Our plans for next year, staffing, and schedules have not been finalized, but as they evolve, I will keep you posted. While you need a break from email and electronics, I suggest you plan to check your work email weekly for updates. I will avoid group texting unless I need to alert you to important messages in email. And I will reach out to you personally if staffing shifts affect you or are relevant to your intent forms.
- Please see the "Planning for Next Year" Section below for information regarding staffing, schedules, and plans.
- Please see the e-Learning Section below for links to documents, schedules, and more.
- See Calendar Events below
- Do not move any boxes, furniture, or discards from your room to vacant classrooms. If you have needs for storage beyond your designated area in the shed, please consult me so I can help.
- Please label boxed materials you wish to be removed from your classroom:
- "Obsolete Curriculum for Discard"--ask us if you are not sure
- "Leveled books"/readings you no longer use/need but which may be useful for others--to be stored elsewhere
- "Discard/Trash"--anything that you don't need and others won't want
- If you have any up-for-grabs items you may alert colleagues to visit your room to view or TEMPORARILY place smaller items on the workroom center counter. You, however, are responsible for discarding items you placed there that aren't claimed (by June 12).
OUR THEME FOR THE SUMMER is YOU: Make time for yourself and rediscover the activities you enjoy and which fill your cup. Rest, relax, and be good to yourself.
Planning for Next Year (20-21)
Here is the link to our GoogleDoc of resources related to Culture, Diversity, and Anti-Racism.
- This week we will bid fond farewell to our two retirees, Deb Hatheway and Sandy White.
- SSES Kindergarten teacher Keli Craig has accepted a TK position at Village Elementary. We appreciate all your contributions to SSES and our Kindergarten Team, Keli! We will miss you, but are happy for your next adventure, with more time for and access to your family!
- Chris Preciado will teach kindergarten next year in her same classroom.
- Gina Mirtallo will teach TK in room 102.
- Karen Pierro requested and was approved for a leave of absence for next school year. We look forward to Karen's return to campus when she is ready.
- Robyn Fullmer will move into room 301.
- Gisele Renly has voluntarily transferred to 3rd grade and will move into room 303.
- Until we have more accurate enrollment information, we will not fill/designate Gisele's former 1/2 combo position.
- We have been tasked with planning for both distance learning and for the full return of students, with an expectation that if we can/should build a balanced/hybrid schedule with students returning to school in a structure that is not full time/full student body, we will adjust our plans accordingly. I know that it remains a priority and strong desire to return students to our campus in the soonest and safest way possible for all of us.
- We will build a bell schedule for next year using last year's schedule as a foundation from which to build and make adjustments with grade-level and program input. I expect that our recess and lunch times will remain stable but will keep you posted as we make staffing decisions based on enrollment and build our schedule with access to SpEd and ASE resources as critical structural factors.
e-Learning Documents, Schedules, and Support
- I have revived our SSES Distance Learning Doc so you may post questions you have over the next two weeks and we can track themes, respond to one another, and I can keep a record and refer questions to Learning Department where appropriate. Many questions remain unanswered as we continue to plan: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HnS_wp07ZEFLlB6WGhdqAZYP4CY_BDvNUlMO-7hjhWw/edit?usp=sharing
The Elementary e-Learning Template document is here. You will notice you need to make a copy for your own editing. If you are working with a grade-level partner, be sure to share the document amongst yourselves.
Benchmark Trainings and Expectations Links:
- The Learning Department is pleased to share the 2020-2021 Benchmark Advance Implementation Expectations. You will see that there are a variety of links on this document that will take you directly to resources and other supporting documents
Happy Birthday June and July Birthdays!
6/9: Meteline Miranda
6/18: Joellen Semo
6/26: Andrea Rivas-Mulia
7/15: Catie Bartczak
7/28: Deb Hatheway
Coronado Schools Foundation Events & Updates:
Coronado Schools Foundation’s mission is to raise and manage funds to provide exceptional learning experiences for all Coronado Unified School District students. We thank you for your partnership in this time of public uncertainty and applaud each one of you for continuing your commitment to the educational enrichment of our children.
Coronado SAFE Resources
Visit Coronado SAFE's website for more resources and info on activities in the community: https://coronadosafe.org/
2019-20 Parent and Student Handbook
Community Agreements and Multi-Tiered Systems of Support
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/