Vol. 18 Issue 33 --- Weekly Updates for Salem Academy
Translation results Instrucciones de traducción
- Spring Play: Twelfth Night - Friday 5/13 and Saturday 5/14: Our 6th - 12th spring play is on this weekend! Come see our students in action at 32 Derby Street in Salem at 7 pm on Friday and Saturday. It is an outdoor venue (consider bringing a chair!) and free.
- Service Learning Half Day - Friday 5/20: Our next Service Learning Half Day will be on Friday, May 20th. Attendance is extremely important as students are in the action phase of their project. As a reminder, for high school students, this is a credit-bearing class that students are required to pass each year. Dismissal will be at 12:00 pm.
- Lower School Grade 8 STE MCAS - Thursday (5/19): Next week, all 8th Grade students will take their official STE MCAS exams on Thursday (5/19). Mr. Hanlon has been working hard all year to prepare students academically for their exam. Please encourage your child/ren to take the test seriously, take their time, and do their best work. Please also encourage them to get a good night sleep on Wednesday (5/18) so that they will be well rested.
- Lower School Dance: The LS Student Government is hosting a Semi-Formal Dance on Friday, May 20th from 6:00-8:00pm at Old Town Hall in Salem. Permission slips went home this week in all grades. Please email Fallon Burke (email@example.com), if you have any questions about the dance.
- Lower School Website: Click this link to visit the LS Family Website to see your child’s homework calendar and learn more about our LS team. Please let us know if there is anything else you’d like to see on the website.
- 10th Grade Math MCAS - Tuesday 5/17 and Wednesday 5/18: All 10th graders will be engaging in Math MCAS testing each morning and should be on campus at 8:00 am for breakfast prior to the test. Passing the Math MCAS test is a graduation requirement, so attendance and timeliness is incredibly important. Testing starts promptly at 8:30 am.
- 9th Grade Boda Borg Field Trip - Tuesday 5/17: All 9th graders are headed to Boda Borg for a class field trip. Please return permission slips and payment by Monday 5/16.
- 9th/10th/11th Grade Course Selection Deadline - Friday 5/20: Course selection is underway, as this week, students reviewed steps to take to choose courses next week. All course information will be shared with families via email.
- Junior/Senior Prom - Saturday 5/21: Prom returns this spring! It will be at Colonial Hall in Salem and include a sit-down dinner. Students can buy tickets via Student Government at school for $65 (cash, check to SACS or student account). All 11th and 12th graders are invited to attend; underclassmen can only attend if invited by an 11th or 12th grader. Please reach out to Ms. Onembo (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ms. Bain (email@example.com) if there are any concerns.
5/13 & 5/14- Twelfth Night!
5/17 & 5/18- 10th Grade MCAS
5/20- Half Day-Service Learning
5/21- Junior/Senior Prom
2022 - 2023 School Year Calendars!
News and Notes
Bring a lawn chair to Shakespeare's most popular comedy! Twins separated in a shipwreck create misadventures of mistaken identity while everybody falls in love in record time - often with someone who is in love with someone else! Plus, off-key singing, terrible dancing, daring sword fights with pool noodles, and characters who drink a lot of apple juice (It's a combined middle school and high school production.)
Friday, May 13 and Saturday, May 14 at 7pm
OUTSIDE at Old Town Hall/Derby Square.
FREE and open to the public
The Junior/Senior Prom will be held on Saturday, May 21st from 6:45-10 pm at Colonial Hall in Salem.
Want to support the Salem Academy Prom and other senior events? Donate to the Student Government GoFundMe and help make this year's senior class spring the best it can be!
Covid has impacted us all, including our Class of 2022, who had two years of in-person education taken away from the pandemic. Due to the turmoil in the world, we have been unable to do the level of fundraising or the number of events that previous years have enjoyed. Now with the ability to host these traditions, but without the benefit of an entire year’s worth of fundraising, Salem Academy’s seniors humbly request your assistance.
Your donation will fund an amazing prom for our school, which will make our seniors' last few months of high school as great and memorable as possible. Thank you in advance for your contribution!
2022 Family Picnic
Teacher Appreciation Lunch 5/20
As we approach the end of another school year we ask that you please consider volunteering to help with this year's annual teacher appreciation lunch. This event is one of our favorites and it serves as a great way for Salem Academy parents to express the appreciation we have for our teachers!
When: Friday, May 20, 2022
Set Up: 11am-12:30pm
Breakdown: 1:30pm – 2pm
We will be serving lunch to 80 staff and faculty members and are looking for as much parent support as we can get.
Show your appreciation by donating your incredible dishes or come help serve at the event! Click the following link to register before May 11th: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080B49ABAE2AA7F49-teacher
Our Next SFC Meeting is Tuesday, May 3, 2022 at 6pm. Register HERE.
The Salem Academy SFC has a Facebook page! Be sure to click on the page link and give us a follow to learn more about all the great things happening on the parent side of Salem Academy!
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to Bessie Marashi, SFC Moderator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you in advance,
Salem Academy SFC
A medida que nos acercamos al final de otro año escolar les pedimos que por favor consideren ser voluntarios para ayudar con el almuerzo anual de agradecimiento a los maestros de este año. ¡Este es uno de los eventos favoritos y sirve para que los padres de Salem Academy expresen el aprecio que tenemos por nuestros maestros!
Cuando: viernes, 20 de mayo de 2022
Desmontaje: 1:30pm - 2pm
Estaremos sirviendo el almuerzo a 80 miembros del personal y de la facultad y estamos buscando todo el apoyo de los padres que podamos conseguir.
¡Muestre su aprecio donando sus increíbles platos o venga a ayudar a servir en el evento! Haga clic en el siguiente enlace para registrarse antes del 11 de mayo: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080B49ABAE2AA7F49-teacher
Nuestra próxima reunión del SFC es el martes 3 de mayo de 2022 a las 6PM. Regístrese aquí.
¡El SFC de Salem Academy tiene una página de Facebook! ¡Asegúrese de hacer clic en el enlace de la página y darnos un seguimiento para aprender más acerca de todas las grandes cosas que suceden en el lado de los padres de Salem Academy!
Si tiene alguna pregunta, por favor no dude en ponerse en contacto con Bessie Marashi, moderadora del SFC email@example.com.
Gracias de antemano,
Salem Academy SFC
Make sure to order your 2022 yearbook! You can order by clicking the image below or visiting barksdalephoto.com using the access code: 1000487YBL. $20 each. Deadline to order is May 15, 2022.
2022 Commitment Ceremony
The 7th grade Recycling crew will be holding a book swap to upcycle books on May 20th!
Bring a book and take one!
Lower School Spring Fling!
Mark your calendars for the Lower School Spring Fling! The LS Student Government is hosting a spring themed semi-formal Dance on Friday, May 20th from 6:00-8:00pm at Old Town Hall for grades 6-8. Stay tuned for more details! Permission slips will be sent home with students early next week. Please contact Fallon Burke at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
I am pleased to inform you that we have no new cases of COVID-19 to report. Due to the decreased rates of COVID-19 in the City of Salem and what we are seeing at SACS, we have returned to full spectator capacity for our basketball games. Students, families, and friends will still need to purchase tickets in advance:
Click here for the monthly menus!
Dear Families - due to national shortages of food and packaging materials, labor shortage and vendor delivery delays and cancellations, our menus are subject to change based on availability. Please know that our team is working hard to provide meals every day, adjust on the fly, and provide updates about menu changes as soon as possible. We may need to make quick menu substitutions based upon what we have on hand, but we are trying our best to make comparable changes wherever possible. Thank you for your continued support and patience. Please stick with us through this challenging time! - Salem Academy Food and Nutrition Department
Community Resources and Opportunities
Mass General Brigham Community Van
Looking for a vaccination, booster, or COVID-19 care kit? The Mass General Brigham community van is at Market Basket on highland ave every Friday and other locations around the north shore. The MGB Community Van includes a variety of resources to help stop the spread of COVID-19 in a number of languages.
Tax Credits for Families
A coalition of non-profit organizations has created FindYourFunds.org to help eligible families get thousands of dollars in federal tax credits (like the Child Tax Credit) and stimulus payments, even if the families do not usually owe or file taxes. Outreach materials are available in 11 languages.