December 14, 2020 Principal Message
Jeffreys Grove Magnet Elementary
PREPARING FOR THE SPRING SEMESTER
Dear Jeffreys Grove Families,
I hope this message finds you enjoying your Sunday. As you know the window for registering for the spring Virtual Academy has closed. In the coming weeks we will be looking at the data that has come in and making decisions based on family choices. Parents should be prepared for a change in teacher. With the movement in enrollment from one learning environment to another and class size legislation requirements, we will have to re evaluate our master schedule and staffing plan. For these reasons, we may have to dissolve combos, create new rosters and re-assign students to different classrooms. To the highest degree possible it is our goal to preserve the current teacher assignments but this may not be possible given the constraints of class size legislation and parent choices for learning modality.
With cases rising and the news of other neighboring school district switching to remote learning only, it is not unlikely that another transition could happen. You may have heard that the Wake County Board of Education has called a special meeting for December 14 to discuss moving all classes online. It is important that on December 18 when students leave for Winter Break, all student belongings go home with students.
December 14-18 will be Spirit Week at Jeffreys Grove and we would love for all students to participate! So whether you are in the Virtual Academy or Plan B, join in the fun and "successorize" your outfits to bring a little holiday cheer into your classroom!
Monday, Long Winter Naps - Wear your coziest Pajamas
Tuesday, Winter Wonderland - Wear white and blue
Wednesday, Wishing for a New Year - Dress to Impress
Thursday, Holiday Hats - Wear your favorite winter hat
Friday, Winter Wardrobe - Wear a holiday sweater/shirt or mask.
Below are reminders for Plan B students:
- Plan your arrival time for carpool (8:45-9:10am) - we have to complete health screenings and temperature checks for ALL students. Thank you for turning the heater off as you enter our parking lot. Have your child remove head coverings in order to avoid inaccurte temperature readings.
- Pack your pencil box and the school supplies your child's teacher has requested.
- Pack your device every day plus the charger in case teachers need you to have your WCPSS device.
- Families with their own personal device are welcome to send it as well, we will send a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) form home so you can return that form to us - not required, but students can bring personal devices.
- Breakfast and Lunch are FREE for ALL students. Students can bring their own lunches as well if they choose.
- Wear a mask. Pack an additional mask if you think your child needs to switch out masks midday. If not, don't worry. We have masks on campus to share with students as needed.
- Bring a refillable waterbottle. Don't worry if your child doesn't have one or forgets - we have disposable cups and donated water bottles as we will not be using the water fountains to directly drink from.
- If you have the student attestation form completed, please send it in. If not, we will send a copy home for you to sign and return.
For additional information, please refer to the Return to Campus Guide which contains a link to the first semester calendar that lists cohort rotations by weeks.
- December 16 - remote learning asynchronous day - no live learning
- December 21 - teacher workday - no school for students
- January 4 - first day back for students after Winter Break (4th and 5th grade Cohort 2 in-person)
- January 6 - remote learning asynchronous day - no live learning
- January 13 - remote learning asynchronous day - no live learning
- January 18 - Holiday - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- January 19 - teacher workday - no school for students
- January 20 - spring semester begins
If you are looking for ways to get connected with the JG PTA and other Jeffreys Grove families, I invite you to join Memberhub. The Jeffreys Grove PTA uses Memberhub as a means of communication with families throughout the year. Cheri Thomas, the JG PTA President, sends out a weekly newsletter, providing "save the date" information, fundraising updates, advocacy information, and other school-wide information. Please click here to join Jeffreys Grove Memberhub."
As always, please reach out to either Ms. Scott or myself for support. We are more than happy to answer questions, address concerns, or provide guidance when needed.
Hello JG Families,
Click on the link below to view my final newsletter for the year of 2020!
It has information about my guidance lessons for December and our Positivity Project focus.
I hope your winter break includes family time, fun, safety, and some rest! See you in 2021!!
SOAR on Eagles,