Second Grade Newsletter
October 14, 2016
October 14 - End of nine weeks
October 18 - GCISD Pink Out - Wear pink to support Breast Cancer Awareness
October 19 - Report cards
October 19 - National Day of Unity - Wear orange
October 22 - Fall Festival
October 24-28 - Red Ribbon Week
October 24-November 11- Canned food drive for G.R.A.C.E.
October 28 - Lunch with principal
November 3 - Early release
November 4 - Spirit Day
November 8 - Field trip to Globe Life Park
November 11 - Veteran's Day Program
November 14-18 - Book Fair
November 18 - Heritage Day
November 19-27 - Thanksgiving Break
What We are Learning
Reading - Main idea
Spelling - Foxes and Glasses (s, es)
Grammar - Proper nouns
Writing - Editing and revising
Social Studies - National symbols, customs and celebrations
Science - Fall weather
Things to Know
- CogAt testing will begin on Monday. Please make sure that your child arrives to school on time. An information sheet should be in your child's binder.
- A note went home today with your child about the scheduled field trip we have for Tuesday, November 8 to Globe Life Park. We are very excited about this educational opportunity. It will incorporate many of our TEKS standards in different subjects that we have for second grade. There are many forms attached to the cover letter and all must come back filled out and signed in order for your child to attend. If you would like to be a chaperone for this event or any of our field trips this year, you will need to complete the district required background check prior to the trip. This has to be done for each school year. This process takes a couple of weeks and can be done online through the district website http://www.gcisd-k12.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=474 . If you are not approved prior to the trip, you will be unable to attend as a chaperone. There will be more information to follow as we near the date.
- Please remind your child to leave any toys and/or cards at home. Specifically trading cards such as Pokemon cards have become a distraction and disruption on campus.
- We have several visiting authors coming to GHE in November! Aaron Reynolds will be presenting to our K-2nd graders. Pre-order forms for their books came home this week and will be due back mid-October. Books that were pre-ordered will be autographed by our visiting authors.
- We CAN say no! Glenhope is kicking off a three week long canned food drive for G.R.A.C.E. The food drive will be 10/24-11/11.
- Please make sure your child comes to school prepared each day; signed binder and charged ipad.
- Homework expectations: We expect each child to read 20 minutes and practice flashcards 10 minutes NIGHTLY. Please take advantage of the time you spend waiting for practices to start, siblings to get out of school and drive time. That is a perfect time to tackle both of those assignments daily. Remember the homework papers are due on Friday.
- You can find copies of the week's homework and spelling words on the Second Grade Website http://www.gcisd-k12.org/domain/286 .