Hoover Counseling Newsletter
From the Counseling Office:
Our newsletter is sent to students and families about once a week to the email address indicated in your portal. Please check your student email daily.
Be sure to scroll down and read the specific grade level announcements, general information, & the featured Career of the Week.
Table of Contents
- General Announcements
- Featured Career of the Week
- College and Career Information
- GUSD College & Career Division Newsletter
- Career/Work Opportunities and Information
- GCC Dual Enrollment Information
- 12th-grade Announcements and Scholarships
- 11th, 10th, & 9th Grade Announcements
General Announcements Below:
Hoover High Student Support Group
Free Homework Help!
Need some assistance with writing an essay? Stuck on that math equation?
Glendale Library and Salvation Army are providing FREE homework help! From live tutoring, to useful study tools, to online classes, and much more!
Glendale Library: Click HERE for more information!
Salvation Army: See flyer below
College & Career Information
FEATURED CAREER OF THE WEEK: Veterinarian
Veterinarians examine, diagnose and treat animals. They can also perform surgeries, care for wounds, vaccinate against diseases and prescribe medications. In worst-case scenarios, vets are also qualified to euthanize sick or dying animals.
But a veterinarian's work doesn't stop with dogs and cats. Some vets specialize in caring for farm animals, and some even protect the safety of our food supply by inspecting livestock. Others promote public health by fighting animal-borne diseases and help foster healthier relationships between people and their animal companions.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects 18.4 percent employment growth for veterinarians between 2018 and 2028.
Education Required: Doctoral or Professional Degree
Your Xello account is a great resource to gain more college and career information.
What is Xello?
Xello: Helps you create your own roadmap to discover more about yourself to plan your future through fun and interactive career exploration lessons, videos, and assessments.
Xello is free to all GUSD students. Yay!
Where do I sign up?
Go to your student account at Xello.gusd.net.
What is Xello?
Xello is free to all GUSD students. Yay!
Where do I sign up?
Click here to view Hoover High School Counseling Department College/Career Readiness Links Rev. 10/19/2020
College & Career Readiness Workshop Series
Hoover College Information Workshops
Community Service Opportunity for Armenian and Spanish Speakers
Looking for a job? Supermarkets Hiring Immediately:
Click here for job opportunities: GYA Employment Programs.
You can also start your job search at snagajob.com.
- Highest Paying Occupations: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/highest-paying.htm
- Fastest Growing Occupations: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/fastest-growing.htm
- Most New Jobs: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/most-new-jobs.htm
GRADE LEVEL ANNOUNCEMENTS BELOW:
Senior Gear (Caps+Gowns & More) 🥳
💥 College Updates 💥
💻📚 Helpful College Resources
➡️ The following opportunities are available for any students at your school who wish to develop their life and leadership skills and to have their voice heard at the state level. All programs are virtual.
• The Student Advisory Board on Education on Education Oct 31-Nov 2
• The Student Advisory Board on legislation in Education January 11-13
• The Youth Action Summit of California February 27-28
• The Summer Leadership Conference July 26-29
Please encourage students to register and help defray the cost by choosing one of the membership levels available to your school. The membership form and details are available on www.casc.net.
➡️ CSU Week!
🔑 Resources for Undocumented Students
➡️ UC Resouces
➡️ DREAM Loans
🧑🏫 Private Colleges of California
➡️ Event Calendar for workshops hosted by PCoC
➡️ Email for PCoC: firstname.lastname@example.org
✏️ Stay Updated with College Representative Visits for September & October by visiting the
College & Career Division, website.
🗓️ Upcoming Events
⭐ Mastering PIQ's Wednesday Workshop - October 14, 2020 @ 1:00 pm
⭐ College Application Workshops - Every Thursday & Friday from 2:00 - 4:00 pm (10/22-12/03)
⭐ Tobacco Use Prevention Education Community Service - starting September 17, 2020 @ 12-12:30 pm
⭐ Upcoming Workshops - September 2020- December 2020 @ 1:00 pm
Important Information for You 🗞️
💁 Community Service Hours
The first Tobacco Use Prevention Education meeting will be on Thursday September 17th!
Are you interested in a career in health, getting tips for quitting smoke or helping a loved one to quit? Join us to learn about the effects of tobacco, vapes, and hookah on the body. Students will receive community service hours for completing 10 sessions. Join us on zoom every Thursday from 12-12:30 pm starting on the 17th. Contact Ms. Brownstein for more information:
- Email: email@example.com
- Google Classroom Code: ijoalf4
All information and deadlines must be verified by the applicant
Scholarships 🤑 - September Edition
- Please click on this link to learn about what scholarships and scholarship websites are currently available to you! We encourage you to apply to as many as you can to help with paying for college and other financial burdens.
- *New Scholarship Opportunity* Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation
- *New Scholarship Opportunity* Hispanic Heritage Youth Awards 2020
- *New Scholarship Opportunity* National Merit Scholarship Corporation
- Visit Heisman Trophy Trust, teams up with Acceptance Insurance to present the Heisman High School Scholarship.
- Visit Scholarship Search - Big Future, to find scholarships filtered specifically to your personal lifestyle.
- Also visit Elks National Foundation to find additional Scholarships you can apply for!
- Lowell L. Bryan Scholarship - Scholar Athletes
The first ever I, Too, Am the Dream contest, sponsored by the Milken Center for Advancing the American Dream, part of the Milken Institute.The Center’s mission is to make the American Dream an attainable reality for millions of people by expanding access to education, health and economic freedom, and by empowering an entrepreneurial mindset that takes full advantage of opportunity. In the contest, open through September 21, rising high school seniors can submit Prose up to 1,000 words to include essays, poems, spoken word, short stories. See attached for an informational flyer, and visit https://www.mcaad.org/programs/competitions/i-too-am-the-dream/ for more details.
There are so many scholarships still available. It's not too late to apply. Click here for scholarship search engines and some scholarships that are a great opportunity.
Contact Us ☎️
Mr. Allen – Senior Counselor 🤙🏻
Ms. T- College Adviser ✌🏻
Click on our names to learn more about how you can reach us!
Don't forget to check for updates on our ✨ Senior Corner ✨
☎️💻 Booking Appointments:
We understand that this is a very busy and difficult time for everyone, but both, Mr. Allen and myself, Ms. T, want to make sure that we are available to help you all out in your times of need via zoom.
10 Week Grades
Would You Like to Join the Distinguished Scholars Academy?
Personal Email vs. GUSD Student Email - Which one should I use?
Be sure to create a personal email address (Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, etc.) for colleges, scholarships, community service, and more.
*Remember, when creating an email address, choose a username that is professional. I recommend simply using your name (examples: claireirvine OR claire_irvine)*
Use your GUSD student email address for school communication, Google Classroom, and classes. etc.
Did you know?
- Your GUSD student email does not send or receive emails outside the GUSD network.
- The student email is deleted once you graduate, so your personal email will be your working email.
- Adding your student email to your portal ensures that teachers and staff are able to contact you since all student systems are connected to Q.
Let's Stay Connected!
Here are some ways for us to stay connected:
- 📚 Google Classroom: I have invited each of you to my Google Classroom where I will post important updates and information. Please check the page often! If you don't see the invite, please email me and I will send you the code.
- ☎️💻 Don't see your answer on the FAQ page? Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org OR click here to book a time to speak over the phone or via Google Meet
- Be sure to follow the Hoover Counseling Office on Instagram! @HooverHighCounseling
"Meet&Greet" every Wednesday with Ms. Iraheta:
Please note the following changes on the time for our "Greet and Meet" Wednesdays.
Wed. Oct. 21@12:00-12:30 (due to regular bell schedule)
Wed. Oct. 28@1:30-2:00
During our Wednesdays "Meet&Greet" Zoom meetings, connect with myself and other 9th graders. At this time, staying involved and building community is more important than ever. Enjoy Q&A’s with key staff, and learn valuable information about school resources, clubs, and activities. Hear from seniors/juniors and feel the Ohana spirit as you experience what makes Hoover so amazing. Freshmen, Don’t miss this chance to get to know one another and celebrate being part of the Hoover family! I hope to see many of you this week.
Tips for Freshmen:
Academics: Be sure to go to your teacher's office hours to get help and tutoring. Teachers' office hours are posted in their Google Classrooms. Check out our counseling website for each department hours: https://www.gusd.net/domain/1358
College/Career: Watch Ms. T, our college adviser's "Best Fit for Me" College video. Video Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_C4mucvhT7r6od0yGx_qvYXNTioIuh8T/view
Social/Emotional: It’s cancer awareness month! Make sure you take precautions to avoid possible exposure. Here’s a link to some precautions you can take. Spread the news! https://www.preventcancer.org/education/seven-steps-to-prevent-cancer/
Ms. Iraheta's Contact Information:
If you have any questions, please email me. If you would like to schedule a phone or a video call, please use this "You Can Book Me" link to book an appointment. Visit my counseling page for updates. https://www.gusd.net/Page/4216
~ Ms. Iraheta
Hoover High School
Counselors are available via email during the school closure: Please contact your counselor if you need help or have any questions.
Be sure to stay in touch at: hooverhs.org
Follow us on:
@hooverhighcounseling on Instagram
@hoovertornados on Instagram
Dr. Earl's Daily Spin on Facebook