Ana Pesarini 6/12/15 C2
What Is Anorexia?
Anorexia is an eating disorder and mental illness that cause people to obsess about their weight. Many people think that Anorexia is a body type. People can be overweight and be Anorexic and people can be underweight and suffer from Anorexia.
Ten Facts About Anorexia
- Anorexia is the third most common lifelong illness among teenagers.
- Men/boys make up about 10 to 15 percent of people who have anorexia.
- Teens/young adults between the ages of 12 and 26 make up 95 percent of people who have eating disorders.
- Anorexia is the most common cause of death among young girls aged 15 to 24.
- Only 10% of people who suffer from Anorexia get treatment. Only 35% of those 10% get treatment in a facility that specializes in eating disorders.
- More than 50% of teen girls and nearly 33% of teen boys admit to using unhealthy methods to control their weight including smoking cigarettes, skipping meals, fasting, vomiting, or taking laxatives.
- Almost 70% of preteen and teen girls confess that pictures that are praised from the media effect their ideal body.
- Men with anorexia are less likely to seek help because of gender stereotypes.
- The main reason people suffer from anorexia is because of unrealistic body desires.
- About 24 million people in the U.S struggle with an eating disorder including Anorexia.
Things You Should/Shouldn't Do to Maintain a Good Health/Healthy Lifestyle
- Eat a healthy amount of food and listen to your body. If your body tells you that your hungry,eat. This is important because you would remain a healthy weight and your body will get the nutrients it needs.
- Exercise at least 45-60 minutes a day. Exercise controls your weight so you don't gain too much weight at a time.
- Don't eat too little each day, but don't eat too much either. If you eat too little each day your body might not be getting the nutrients it needs. It could weaken your bones and muscles. If you eat too much, there will be high levels of fat stored in your body.
"TeensHealth." Information about Health, Growth and Emotions for Teens : .org. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 June 2015.
"WebMD - Better Information. Better Health." WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 12 June 2015.
"11 Facts About Eating Disorders." 11 Facts About Eating Disorders. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 June 2015.