Signs and Symptoms
When someone is choking, They will seem panicked. Check to see if they are holding their neck with their hands, as that is the universal sign of choking.
- inability to speak
- inability to cough
- Having difficulty breathing
- grasping their neck with their hands
How to handle choking
If you believe that someone is choking, follow these procedures.
- Give the person who is choking 5 back blows.
- give the person who is choking 5 abdominal thrusts
- Keep giving the person back blows and abdominal thrusts until the choking ends.
How is Choking caused?
Choking is caused when an object gets caught in the upper-airway. This means that the object can not make it's way through the esophagus.