Rice Middle School eNews
March 04, 2024
Not Returning Next Year? Plan Ahead!
Please plan ahead for all withdrawals and complete the following steps:
- Notify the Rice MS Registrar of your intention to withdraw your child.
- A parent must come in to sign the withdrawal paperwork.
- All textbooks, library books, uniforms, Chromebooks (including charger), and other items checked out in the student’s name must be returned before withdrawal can be finalized.
- All outstanding fines and/or fees must be paid in full before a withdrawal can be finalized.
- A copy of the withdrawal form will be given to you to take to the new school for enrollment.
- Transcripts, test scores and other will be sent to the new school upon a request from that school.
If you have questions regarding the withdrawal process, you may contact the Registrar (Monisha Pinkston) at 469-752 -6015 or you can email at firstname.lastname@example.org
RMS PTA Senior Scholarship Opportunity
Rice Middle School PTA offers a scholarship to a graduating high school senior in Plano ISD who attended Rice Middle School and who will be enrolled and attending full-time at an accredited college or university or a technical institute in the summer or fall semester immediately following the applicant’s high school graduation. During 2023-2024 school year, Rice Middle School PTA will offer one scholarship of $500. Click here to download the scholarship details and application.
$20 PTA Memberships Available!
Did you know that you can support Rice Middle School students and teachers by joining the PTA? Your $20 membership helps pay for student programs, parent education programs, teacher resources, student socials, and so much more! While we encourage you to be involved, joining PTA does not obligate you to volunteer. It’s simply the easiest and most affordable way to be involved in your child’s education. As a benefit to members only, you will have access to an online directory as well as PTA member discounts. Click here to join today!
STAAR Test Dates & Spring Semester Schedule
April 17 - Reading/Language Arts STAAR Test for Grades 6, 7, & 8
April 18 - Social Studies STAAR Test for Grade 8
April 24 - Science STAAR Test for Grade 8
May 1 - Math STAAR Test for grade 6, 7, & 8 and Algebra EOC
Please remember school starts at 8:25 and students are expected to be in class by this time.
Please find our Bell Schedule for the Spring Semester. Students will attend lunch based upon their 5th period class.
Keep up to date with the Counseling Office Smore.
- We update our smore each month and as new information comes along that we need to share with parents.
- We include information about registration, testing, CBE, eSchool, summer school and much more.
- Each month we also share a theme and a calendar for daily activities that match each theme.
- Click here and check out the updates!
News From Nurse Yang
6th Grade Parents
Prior to the entry of 7th grade (2024-2025 school year), your child needs immunizations required by the Texas Department of State Health Services. Those immunizations are:
- Meningococcal Vaccine (MCV4) - one does required on or after 11th birthday.
- Tdap vaccine - booster dose required if at least 5 years have passed since the last dose of a tetanus-containing vaccine.
Plano ISD offers free vaccines to students who qualify through the Texas Vaccines for Children program. Please read this attachment for detail information, including qualification criteria, clinic location and dates. Please contact school nurse at email@example.com to schedule an appointment if your child meets the qualification.
Exclusion from School for Health Reasons
To protect all children from communicable illnesses, students infected with certain diseases are not allowed to come to school while they are contagious. Students should be symptom-free for 24 hours before returning to school. The guidelines below have been developed for the exclusion of students who have communicable or contagious diseases. A student with any of the following symptoms will be excluded from school until such time as the student is free of symptoms, has been satisfactorily treated, or submits a signed physician’s statement that he/she is not contagious:
- Temperature of 100.0 degrees or more. Student must be fever free for 24 hours, without medication, before re-entry.
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. Student must be symptom free for 24 hours without medication before re-entry.
- Pain and/or swelling at angle of jaw.
- Undetermined rash over any part of the body.
- Undiagnosed scaly patches on the body or scalp.
- Red, draining eyes.
- Intense itching with signs and symptoms of secondary infection.
- Open, draining lesions.
PISD Athletic Event News
Attendance Office Reminders
Need to pick up your student early?
- Send a note with your student the same day that states the exact time you would like your student meet you in the front office. Give them time to collect an instrument or items from a locker if necessary.
- Have your student give it to the teacher whose class they are in during that time so the teacher can release them from class in a timely manner.
- Meet your student in the front office to sign them out.
- Send an official doctor’s note verifying the appointment with your student when they return to school. If an electronic note is sent, an additional note is not necessary.
Student Absent Excuse Note
A parent note or doctor's note is required to excuse an absence. The note should include the student's name, the reason for absence, date(s) of absence, and parent/guardian signature. You may download and complete the Student Absence Excuse Note or write this information on any paper. Have your student return the note to the front office or you can email it Linda Holman. If an electronic note is sent, an additional note is not necessary.
Future Absent Request Form
If your students needs to miss multiple school days (beyond sick days or doctor appt.) a Parent/Guardian must complete the Absence Request Form and have your student bring it to the front office or you can email it to Linda Holman. This form needs to be submitted at least one week before the absence. If an electronic note is sent, an additional note is not necessary.
Students are expected to be in their classrooms by 8:25am each day. Students who arrive after this time will be marked tardy. Three tardies equals one unexcused absence. Please get your student here on time every day!
Student Badges. All Day. Every Day.
- Badges have been distributed. Please remind your student to wear their badge every day. Plano ISD requires all students from 6th through 12th grade to wear a badge at all times while on campus and at school events.
- Students who forget their badge will sign in with a form allowing us to identify students who are frequently forgetting.
- We recommend your student put their badge in their backpacks when they leave campus each day and to put it on as they enter the next day. This is an easy way for them to keep track of it.
- If your student has lost their badge, please send $5 for a replacement.
TRAFFIC & SAFETY
Drop Off - The front driveway is for buses only. Please do not use this area as a drop off area.
- Doors open to students at 7:50am
- 6th grade drop off - cafeteria
- 7th & 8th grade drop off - South doors off Russell Creek Drive
- Walkers, bus riders and bike riders - Front Doors
Pick up - The front driveway is for buses only. Please do not use this area as a pick up area.
- The bell rings at 3:40pm
- 6th grade pick up - cafeteria
- 7th & 8th grade pick up - South doors off Russell Creek Drive.
- Walkers and bus bike riders will exit through the front doors.
For everyone's safety, we have been asked by our neighbors to not use the streets along Gifford for carpool purposes including Adavale and Banks Circle. Thank you for showing patience, kindness and respect to the parents and students around you as you pick up and drop off each day.
The Rice Carpool Plan 2023-2024.pdf shows the locations for carpool and buses. Some highlights:
If you have concerns about traffic around Rice Middle School, you may contact the Plano Police Department at: https://www.plano.gov/1857/Traffic-Enforcement-Request.
Dress Code Reminder
Please be sure your student is following our dress code especially regarding hats and shorts that are too short, or jeans that have tears above the thighs. Review the PISD DRESS CODE here.
Cell Phones/Personal Devices
Students may not have their cell phones, earbuds, or other personal devices out during the school day. Students will put their devices away at 8:10am as they are dismissed to class until 3:40pm If you need to contact your child during the school day, please contact the front office (469.752.6002) and we will relay the information to them. Rice Middle School Cell Phone Guidelines
- While we encourage your students to carry their lunch to school each day, parents can drop lunches off in the assigned area in the front of the school.
- Drop lunches on the cart marked with your students lunch period. 6th grade has A lunch and B or C lunch is determined by your students 5th period. See daily bell schedule here.
- Do not leave drinks on the lunch cart without screw lids. No fast food drink containers because they get knocked down and spill.
- According to the PISD policy, students may not receive lunch deliveries from Door Dash, Uber Eats, etc.
Thank you for reading the eNews!
** TO UNSUBSCRIBE From ENEWS
To unsubscribe from Rice eNews or change your email address, please go to: http://elist.pisd.edu/ If you are getting eNews because you use Parent Portal, please go to: https://parentviewer.pisd.edu/ to revise your subscription