Ashford Park ES Principal's Post
July 29, 2022
All Parents will receive a Welcome Letter from your child's teacher on Monday, August 1st by 4pm! Be sure you have completed the Annual Verification for Returning Students.
BACK TO SCHOOL CHECKLIST
WHO TO CONTACT WHEN QUESTIONS ARISE
Please review and save the list below so you are aware who to contact when questions arise.
Direct questions regarding the following items to the people below.
- Membership Toolkit - Ms. Jenny Mason: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spiritwear - Ms. Nikki Murphy - email@example.com
- Family ID Hang tags - Ms. Venecia Sharpe: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reporting your child's absence from school - email your child's homeroom teacher AND our school registrar, Ms. Martha Rodriguez: email@example.com
- Changes in transportation - email your child's homeroom teacher AND our school secretary, Ms. Victoria Gramlich: firstname.lastname@example.org. This must be done by 10am!
- Questions about school lunch - email our cafeteria manager, Ms. DeJoya O'Neal: dejoya_o'neal @dekalbschoolsga.org.
- General questions pertaining to your child's class - email your child's homeroom teacher
- Questions regarding gifted eligibility - email our gifted teacher, Ms. Kelly Jacobs - email@example.com.
- Questions related to school counseling - email the school counselor that serves your child's grade level: Grades PreK, 1st, 3rd, 5th: Ms. Daria Thomas: firstname.lastname@example.org or Grades K, 2nd, 4th: Ms. Margaret Wise: email@example.com.
- Questions pertaining to After School @ Ashford Park (ASAP) - please contact the co-directors Ms. Briggs and Dr. Hinton: AshfordPark_ASAP@dekalbschoolsga.org.
- Questions pertaining to grades PreK-2nd - email the grade level Assistant Principal: Ms. Marchell Paige: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions pertaining to grades 3rd-5th - email the grade level Assistant Principal: Dr. Elizabeth Daly: email@example.com
- Questions pertaining to class schedules, progress reports, and report cards - email our Assistant Principal, Ms. Marchell Paige: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions pertaining to districtwide assessments (MAP, CogAT, GA Milestones, ACCESS) - email our School Test Coordinator/Assistant Principal, Dr. Elizabeth Daly: email@example.com.
- Questions pertaining to schoolwide operations - email Mrs. Freeman: firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT: Report Covid Positive Cases and Exposures directly to Mrs. Freeman: email@example.com
OPEN HOUSE - AUGUST 3, 2022 AT ASHFORD PARK ES
Last Names N-Z: 11:00am - 1:00pm
Come to meet your child's teacher, drop off school supplies, see classrooms, obtain information on school lunch and bus routes, and learn about the PTO & Foundation.
**A Kona Ice Truck will be onsite!**
If you are unable to come to Open House, you may drop off school supplies and meet your child's teacher on the first day of school, August 8th.
2022-2023 BUS ROUTES
Each bus is associated with a color (red, yellow, green, or blue). Please click the document below for our school specific bus colors.
MORNING AND AFTERNOON Bus Routes are linked below.
****PLEASE NOTE**** There may be some bus delays the first few weeks of school. In Dekalb and across the country, school districts are experiencing bus driver shortages. You will be notified of all bus delays in a timely manner via School Messenger and Class Dojo. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
If you have any questions related to DCSD school buses, please contact our school secretary Ms. Victoria Gramlich: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW STUDENT REGISTRATION
Once you have registered, please email your online registration application number to our registrar, Mrs. Martha Rodriguez: email@example.com.
RETURNING STUDENT REGISTRATION
All questions pertaining to registration and access to Infinite Campus should be directed to our school registrar, Ms. Martha Rodriguez: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the school at 678-676-6702 between the hours of 8am-4pm.
SCHOOL SUPPLY LISTS
If you ordered a school supply pack, those will be shipped directly to your house.
SCHOOL UNIFORMS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED
Fridays are designated as Spirit Days. Students may wear an Ashford Park tshirt or the color green, with denim bottoms.
ICE CREAM SOCIAL FOR PREK & KINDERGARTEN FAMILIES
Parents are encouraged to use carpool when dropping off their child for school. Parents should not drop off students on Cravenridge Drive in the morning. Parents are encouraged to not park and walk their student into the building unless they have an appointment with teachers/staff. Use the crosswalk and the service of the crossing guard on Cravenridge when walking your child to school.
- Get in the carpool line by 7:10am to ensure that you get through the line quickly.
- Be kind to the carpool volunteers that are taking their time to keep all children safe.
- Do not block the driveway of our neighbors when bringing your child to and from school.
- Serve as a carpool volunteer. It's quick, it's easy, and will only take 25 minutes of your day.
- Do not park in the handicap spots or the reserved spaces in the front of the building, unless you have an appointment or need to drop off a project.
- Do not park on the opposite side of the street and send your child across the street alone.
- Do not drop off your child in front of the school.
- Our tardy bell rings at 7:45am. Be sure your child is in class by this time.
- If you drive to the school to pick up your child in the afternoon, you are required to use carpool.
- Carpool is quick, efficient, and safe.
- Parking in front of the school during afternoon dismissal to pick up your child as a walker is not allowed.
- Parking in front of the school to pick up your child as a walker creates much congestion and is a dangerous situation.
If you pick up your child as a walker - this means you have walked from home to pick up your child OR you have parked on Caldwell Road or past Pamela Drive and walked down to the school. Walkers also consist of students who walk independently to their home.
Below is our carpool map.
DO YOU HAVE YOUR FAMILY ID HANGTAG?
Family ID hangtags are required to be visible in your car (carpool) or hand (walkers) during dismissal.
Kindergarten/New students ONLY: You will receive a Family ID hangtag at Open House. To purchase additional Family ID hangtags, please click this link: https://ashfordparkpto.membershiptoolkit.com/home
Returning students from last school year: To purchase additional Family ID hangtags, please click this link: https://ashfordparkpto.membershiptoolkit.com/home
For questions pertaining to Family ID hangtags, please contact our bookkeeper, Ms. Sharpe: email@example.com.
If you have questions, please contact our school nurse: Nurse Wedderburn: firstname.lastname@example.org.
****Please note: Breakfast and Lunch are not free this school year.
Information about meal applications and meal payments can be found at the link below.
Breakfast and lunch menus can always be found on this website: https://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/school-nutrition/menus/
Please contact our Cafeteria Manager if you have questions: Ms. DeJoya O'Neal: dejoya_o'neal @dekalbschoolsga.org.
2022-2023 AFTER SCHOOL @ ASHFORD PARK (ASAP) PROGRAM
Our ASAP program will begin on the first day of school from 2:15 - 6:00pm each day that school is in session. The ASAP program offers the following:
- Homework help
- Enrichment Activities (Art & Crafts, STEM, German, etc)
The ASAP lottery enrollment process took place over the summer. If you have further questions about the program, please email our co-directors Ms. Briggs and Dr. Hinton at: AshfordPark_ASAP@dekalbschoolsga.org
AUGUST 8, 2022: FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
2022-2023 STUDENT/PARENT HANDBOOK
***Please download the handbook using the attachment below and save it to refer to throughout the school year.
School Safety is top of mind for me and I know for you as well. My team and I have reviewed and refined our procedures this summer to ensure we are ready if an emergency arises.
Every precaution will be taken to ensure the safety of your child during school hours. One safety measure practiced are safety drills (fire, tornado, intruder), which are conducted throughout the school year. Fire drills are held once every month. Tornado drills are held twice a semester. Intruder (Lockdown) drills are held three times a semester. Schedules, exits, and procedures are a part of these important drills to keep our students and staff safe in the event of an emergency. The administrative team and all staff members will be in position to aid in a safe, quick evacuation. Routes of exit are posted in each room of the building. Our number one priority is the safety and security of our students and staff.
During the school day, we ensure the following safety measures are taken:
- All classroom doors remain closed and locked at all times.
- Exterior doors remain locked at all times and are not propped open for any reason.
- Exterior doors will not be opened for visitors.
- All visitors must come to the front of the school to receive assistance.
- All visitors must press the entry button outside the front door and show photo identification. The front office staff will assist all visitors from this point.
- If a visitor does not have an appointment with staff, is not checking out a student, or is not receiving assistance from the front office, they will not be allowed inside the school.
- If parents would like to drop off items for their child, they will utilize the black cart outside the front door and complete a drop off slip. Front office staff will retrieve the items off the cart and ensure your child receives the item.
- Students are monitored by staff members in all areas of the building and on the recess field.
- Outside of traveling with their class to other parts of the building, students will travel in pairs when leaving their class independently to go to the restroom, nurse, or front office.
- Every classroom is equipped with a telephone and panic button in the event of an emergency.
- For afternoon dismissal, students are only dismissed from class when their name appears on the dismissal spreadsheets and/or their bus is called.
- Staff are strategically stationed all around our building and campus to ensure students arrive and depart safely from school.
Our school resource officer does stop by the school on a consistent basis and walk the grounds to ensure order is maintained. As an added safety measure, we have developed and maintained a partnership with the Brookhaven Police. They come quite often to walk our building, develop relationships with staff and students, and ensure we are safe.
In the event of an emergency, we will communicate with all parents via School Messenger and Class Dojo. Please ensure you are connected and signed up for both on your mobile phone. It is important that parents read all text messages from the school thoroughly and follow next steps as outlined.
Safety will always remain our top priority. We appreciate your partnership and collaboration as we work together to maintain a safe learning environment for all students and staff.