George H.W. Bush
All about Papa Bush
Full Name: George Herbert Walker Bush
Born: June 12, 1924 and is still alive today at a strong 91 years old!
Where he was born: Milton, Massachusetts
States Admitted to the Union: None
He has had 6 children with his wife, Barbara Bush, which are named, George W. Bush, Jeb Bush, Neil Bush, Dorothy Bush Koch, and Robin Bush but his daughter, Robin, passed away in 1953 from Leukemia.
- Federal Budget (1989) - When Bush entered office in 1989 the federal budget was at $2.8 trillion which made it hard for Bush to enact on domestic affairs so he pushed for education reform, volunteerism, and anti-drug efforts.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (1990) - prohibited discrimination of people with disabilities in employment and transportation.
- Clean Air Act (1990) - This act was encouraged by the Exxon Valdez oil spill in March of 1989 and pushed for the reduction of urban smog, acid rain, and industrial emissions of toxic chemicals.
- Panama & Noriega (1989)
- End of the Cold War & U.S.-Soviet Relations (1989) - During this time the Berlin Wall was destroyed.
- German Unification (1990)
- Persian Gulf War (1990) - Iraq invaded Kuwait at the time Saddam Hussein was the president. The United States joined with Arab countries to try to get Iraq to pull back from Kuwait.
- The New World Order (1990)
- Bush was the youngest pilot in the Navy in 1943.
- He was the captain of Yale's baseball team and played in the first two College World Series.
- He doesn't like broccoli.
- He's skydived four different times at 75, 80, 85, and 90 years old.
- His first daughter, Robin, was diagnosed with Leukemia and passed away before her fourth birthday. In July of 2015, Bush shaved his head in honor of the son of one of his Secret Service agents who was diagnosed with leukemia.