Memorial Elementary School Newsletter
4-8 School Staff Appreciation Week
5 National Teacher Day
5 4Schoff - Beyond Boundaries Study Trip
6 School Nurse Day
7 4Becker - Beyond Boundaries Study Trip
9 Scratch Day
11 American Red Cross Blood Drive 2:30 - 7 p.m.
12 PTO Meeting at 6 p.m.
15 & 29 Kindness Keepers at 8 a.m.
18 Student Council at 8 a.m.
18 Kindergarten visits Barnes and Noble for Study Trip
21 Valparaiso Library Reps. visit Memorial to talk about summer programs
25 Memorial Day - no school
26 Field Day (rain date is June 2)
28 Firefighter Phil Program for grades K-4
29 2nd grade - Washington Park Zoo Study Trip
June 4 - Last Day of School for Students
Congratulations to Alan Johnston and Brecken Adams for representing Memorial at the Porter County Spelling Bee.
Scratch Day - May 9
Scratch Day is a global network of events that celebrates Scratch — and the young people who code and create with it. During Scratch Day, kids and adults gather to share projects and learn from one another.
To learn more about Scratch Day in Valparaiso go to http://scratchvcs.weebly.com/scratch-day.html
The Pencil Project
Kindness Keepers will sponsor one final project this school year. We have been connected with a school in Yemassee, South Carolina with 192 students, 90% of them are part of the free and reduced lunch program.
We will collect unused/unsharpened pencils, pencil top erasers and hand-held pencil sharpeners. There will be boxes on the blue tile the week of May 4th. The pencils do NOT have to be part of a package. Your kids can find a random unsharpened pencil in their desks and donate it.
Information and details about how you will register for the new year will be sent to you in early August. Valparaiso Community Schoools will be using a new Student Management System next year. RDS will be changed to Skyward.
- A BIG THANKS to Mrs. Jo Anne Mann-Krause for being the TV Turn Off Week Chairperson and Thanks to all the parent volunteers who helped out. It was a great week filled with fun activities.
- Please consider filling the following PTO vacancies for the 2015-16 school year: Vice President, Secretary, and/or Chairing the following committees: Saturday Night Live, Carnival, Trunk or Treat, Steps for Success, Fifth Grade Celebration. If you are interested in any of the positions you may contact Kathy Danzi (by phone: (219) 242-1795 or by email: email@example.com). Vacancies will be filled at the May PTO meeting, May 12 at 6:00 p.m.
- You can find the Memorial PTO News at: http://www.memorialelementarypto.com/
ISTEP+ Part 2 Test Window is April 23 - May 15. Part 2 will be an online multiple choice type test. There will be some new test items that measure the college and career ready standards and some are technology enhanced, samples are available at: http://experience-ccra-in.ctb.com/
Please check with your child's teacher for specific days/times of testing in your child's class.
If you have any questions about the ISTEP+ you may contact your child's teacher or Mrs. Misecko.
Miscellaneous NOTES & REMINDERS:
- Follow Memorial Elementary on Twitter @Valpo_Memorial
- Changes in transportation - Please send a note, or email Mrs. Molnar, in the morning with all changes in transportation. When calls are made during the busy school day, there is a chance that the message may get delayed and/or not delivered. If you have an emergency during the day, which merits a change in transportation, the best way to send the message is to Mrs. Molnar's email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lost and Found - Please remind your child to check the Lost and Found for any missing clothing or winter wear items. It is growing daily. You are welcome to come look through it as well, as sometimes the students do not look as thoroughly as adults.
- A Background Check Application is required to be completed by school visitors and volunteers each school year. Anyone coming to help with holiday parties must have one completed a week in advance.
PICK-UP and DROP-OFF Reminder
Additionally, if your child is a walker and you decide to pick up for an extended period, please let the school know and we will have your child in the car-rider line. The line of parked cars on Park Avenue after school often blocks the traffic on Center and Park and causes congestion.