The Wonder Chronicles
February 14, 2016
In Honor of The Forth Anniversary of Wonder, The Wonder Chronicles wants to recognize this book for being something people with a facial deformity, help them understand that they are no different than any other human.
Who is R.j. Palacio?
She was born in Queens and her parents
were always reading books. When she
isn't writing, she is drawing, she is also
a photographic designer. She spends a
lot of time at the community bookstore.
Her favorite city day trip is the American
Museum of Natural History and the
Metropolitan Museum of Art. She has
written 9 books in the wonder series.
Her favorite book is Wonder. The event
that gave her the idea to write Wonder
was, five years ago. She took her son for
ice cream and when she sat down with her
3 year old, she realized that there was a
girl sitting next to them with a face
deformity. When her son noticed, he
started to cry. She hurried out of the shop,
but later felt bad about it. That is how her
idea for the book came to be. She decided
to write about a boy with a face deformity.
The Boy Who Everyone Talked About....
Just a Boy Who Only Wanted to be Seen as Normal.....
What is the Most Important Lesson
From a Different Point of View
- Me- Hi, Julian. It's a pleasure to be able to talk with you today.
- Julian- Same here. So let's get started.
- Me- Ok, so when you first met Auggie what did you think?
- Julian- When I first met Auggie, I was so curious about his face.
- Me- Were you trying to be mean? When you asked him "So, what's the deal with your face?"
- Julian- No, at least I don't think so. I was curious so that's how i asked him. I wanted to know.
- Me- Are you usually argumentative with your classmates, like you were with Charlotte?
- Julian- Well, when I am right and they are wrong. Yes. But not intentional. I just want to make my point most of the time.
- Me- Oh, When you toured Auggie throughout the school, were you trying to make a bad impression about the teachers, so he wouldn't come to the school?
- Julian- No I was telling him the truth about the teacher, that she was strict and especially when it comes to math.
- Me- Why were you so mean to Auggie?
- Julian- I was mean because I didn't like him at all.
- Me- Why not?
- Julian- I didn't like him because he looked weird and was different than everyone.
- Me- Why did you lie and go around telling everyone that Auggie punched you and he had emotional issues?
- Julian- I already told you, I didn't like him, so I didn't want anyone else to like him either.
- Me- Were you jealous that he has friends?
- Julian- No! I just didn't like that's all so I didn't want him to have ANY.
- Me- Well it was nice meeting you. Thank you for coming in.
- Julian- Nice meeting you too. Your welcome, see you next time.
Rating of the Novel
Just a Boy Who Only Wanted to be Seen as Normal
At first he was terrified to go to school or to even meet the kids, because of how he has seen people look at him before. After meeting the kids, principal, and other faculty members of the school, he realized that it may not be as bad as he thought. He had never been in school before because his parents were trying to protect him by homeschooling him, but now since he is getting older his parents feel he should start. He knew that there would be obstacles like (Jullian) the bully, but he decided he wanted to go. He meets Jack who realizes that Auggie is cool, smart, and fun to be with. Some other people he also meets are Maya, who was rude towards him. After Auggie took it as a joke, she saw that he was a kind person and a sweet boy. There is also another main character named Summer, she sits with Auggie at lunch, but most of the kids in their school don't get why such a nice girl would sit with him at lunch.
Later on Auggie comes to find out that Jack only hung out and was friends with him because the principal had told him to do so. Jack realizes that he was a jerk and wants Auggie to forgive him. Later, when a bunch of kids gang up on Auggie and they caused a confrontation, Jack is the one who steps in and stops it defending Auggie. At the end of the story his classmates realize that Auggie is no different from the rest of them. The book is titled wonder because after Auggie graduates, while him and his mom were walking home he hugs her and she says to him "You really are a wonder, Auggie. You are a wonder."