The Wonderful Whales
Miss Vananzo's Magnificent Team: December 7
Holiday Card Exchange
News from Room 25.
Swimming Through a Great Week!
In reading/spelling we...
- reviewed the various spellings of the long "o" sounds. We played several games and we searched for long "o" words in a story and played Boggle to spell various words.
- worked on our personal narratives about a small moment in our lives. Students brainstormed several events in their life and then had to choose one for their writing assignment.
- used our devices to do research on a particular shark. Each student choose a shark of interest. They completed a main idea table and then wrote an acrostic poem.
- enjoyed another wonderful presentation from Mr. Anderson. The students loved seeing him dressed in his shark costume.
- identified adjectives in sentences
- reviewed antonyms and synomyns
In math we:
- used known combinations to add two or more numbers
- discussed if the order in which numbers are added will affect the total
- related doubles and near-double combinations (4 + 4 and 4 + 5)
Ocean of Events
- School Store Thursdays - 2nd & 3rd grade:
HOLIDAY PRESENT DRIVE: Four great ways to give – thank you!
By Dec. 17th: All gifts needed (unwrapped) in collection bin in lobby.
1. Fill a child’s clothes/sneakers wish - sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c4fa9ad2ea3fa7-giving
2. Fill a child’s toy wish: Take a wish tag off of our Giving Tree in the lobby.
3. Donate any unwrapped new toy.
4. Gift cards welcome (or monetary donations – checks only – payable to JES PTA). Place in Outreach mailbox in envelope marked “Holiday Present Drive.”
*Also look for our Mitten, Hat & Sock Tree – December 1st-17th in the Lobby*
- Dec. 15, 7:00 pm – Winter Concert – 5th Gr. Chorus, Band & String Students
- Dec. 18 – Holiday or Ugly Sweater Day
- Dec. 18, 10:00 am – CMS Band Assembly
- Dec. 22 – Papa John’s Pizza Day for PTA
- Dec. 23 – Beans & Bread breakfast collection for the homeless
- Dec. 23 – Pajama Day
Catch of the Week
- Thanks for your continued donations of wipes. These are so helpful.
- Please be sure to place your child's name on all of their coats/scarves, etc..
- Thank you so much with your patience and understanding with technology issues. I am so amazed at what your children can do. They strongly encourage me to stop using the mouse and use the touch pad and touch screen. I am getting there.
It's a Whale of a Word
Our word of the week is:
Definition: to make something more attractive by putting something on it
Sentence: It is a lot of fun decorating for the holidays.
**Two holiday stickers to any student who brings the word of the week into class written on a piece of paper and tells how many syllables it has.
We had another wonderful presentation from Mr. Anderson from the Snyder Foundation. It is amazing what we learned about sharks.
WOW.... Look at Those Teeth
One fact we learned is that some sharks have many rows of teeth.
Thanks to several parent volunteers, the Whales participated in another lunchtime reading activity. The students listened to the story The Wild Christmas Reindeer and then completed a reindeer craft.
Gym: Monday and Friday
If your child wears any type of boots to school, please be sure they bring tennis shoes on gym days.
Library Books are Due Each Wednesday
Let's see if we can get 100% of our class to return their books on Wednesday. We can do it.
Dive Into Reading Program
If your child has not received their December Dive into Reading form please let me know. Thank you for your continued support of this program.