Weekly Update for HVES Hawks Nation
Thursday, February 13, 2020
"Hawk Nation" Welcomes You
Calendar of Events
2/14-2/17 - Winter Recess
2/18 - URI Basketball Tickets are due
3/2-3/6 - Reading Week and Book Fair (flyer coming next week)
3/5 - Reading Week Assembly
3/6 - Movie Night (stay tuned)
3/9 - PTO Meeting at 6:30 in the Library
3/17 - Kindergarten Registration 10-6 in library (see flyer below)
3/18 - Kindergarten Registration 10-6 in library (see flyer below)
3/19 - Early Release Day (No AM preschool)
3/21 - ARTESSY at CMS
2020-2021 School Calendar
Important Information for Parents
- Trading cards and toys from home SHOULD NOT be brought to school. This is stated in the school handbook. These toys only cause issues because items may break, items me get lost or stolen, items get traded, etc. This then leads to issues. They are also a distraction to the learning environment. Please remind your child that they should not be bringing in cards or toys or games to school.
- All HVES classrooms are Peanut and Tree Nut Free!
Early Release Day Activity
100th Day Celebrations
Feeling the Extra Love
THEN on Thursday, the PTO surprised the staff with a coffee bar including coffee, coffee cake, and fresh fruit. We are so fortunate for such an incredible PTO. THANK YOU!!!!!
Drama Club Information
RICAS Testing Information
Dear Parents and Guardians of Students in Grades 3 and 4:
State assessments are an important component of Chariho’s Comprehensive Assessment System. These assessments provide us with information to measure the effectiveness of our curriculum and programs, and identify areas where students may need extra support. Your child’s results provide information about his/her progress towards being on the road to college and career readiness.
This year, your child will participate in the online RICAS (Rhode Island Comprehensive Assessment System) assessments in English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics.
RICAS assessments will be administered on the following dates:
Grade 3 & 4 ELA - Tuesday, April 7 and Wednesday, April 8
Grade 3 & 4 Math - Tuesday, April 28 and Wednesday, April 29
The school will provide a complimentary breakfast to students before tests are administered. We appreciate your support in making sure your child:
Has a good night’s sleep;
Attends school; and
Arrives to school on time.
Thank you for your continued involvement in and support of your child’s education. Please contact your child’s teacher or myself if you wish to learn more.
I know this is early to start thinking about but I wanted to get the information out sooner rather than later. Included on Kindergarten Registration Day will be school tours, play centers, light refreshments, and a special gift for our newest students. Parents will have an opportunity to speak to the principal and a kindergarten teacher. No appointment will be necessary on March 17 or March 18.
What should I bring with me? It'll be important for parents to bring immunization records, birth certificate, and a locator card. These three things are a must to complete your registration packet. There will be a flyer coming home out soon. Stay tuned and please pass along news to those who have an incoming Kindergarten student. Much appreciated.
Survey Time...Need your Help!
The Rhode Island Department of Education is currently administering its yearly SurveyWorks Parent Survey, which is an opportunity for parents to provide feedback about our school and our children’s opportunities to learn. The survey results are most useful when all parents participate, so I am writing to ask you to participate in this survey.
Your views on matters like the safety of your child at school, the way students are taught, the condition of the school, and how connected you feel to this school are important. By taking this short survey you can help our school leadership and our parent-teacher organization to make improvements to our school. Responses are anonymous and cannot be linked to any individual; no one can tie your responses back to you.
You can take the short survey online anytime between now and March 31st. To take the survey, visit: surveys.panoramaed.com/ride and enter one of the access codes below:
- For students in grades Kindergarten through 4th grade, enter 98107family
- For students in pre-school, enter 98109family
Yearbooks For Sale
- REMINDER: All HVES classrooms are Peanut and Tree Nut Free!
- Parents (K-4) picking up children at dismissal must park in front of the school or at the church. Parents can: a) Park on Locustville Road (in front of the school) and walk up the stairs to pick up your child. b) Park at Woodriver Pre-school and walk up Thelma Drive (between 3:00-3:30 only). c) Parents always have the option of utilizing the bus. If you need a new bus transportation form, you can get it on the Chariho website under the parent/student tab or contact Donna in the office at 401-539-2321.
Trading cards (i.e., Pokeman) and toys from home should NOT be brought to school. This is also stated in the school handbook as well. These toys only cause issues because items may break, items me get lost or stolen, items get traded, etc. They are also a distraction to the learning environment. Please remind your child that they should not be bringing in cards or toys or games to school.
- Payment for the Morning Program is due at the beginning of each month. If you need a form, stop or call the office.
- The Morning Program STARTS at 7:30. Technically it starts at 7:35 because everything is programmed through our time clock. Staff punch in at 7:30 so they need time to get to the gym to set up. At Hope Valley, we have always allowed students to come for 7:30 but we cannot let children in before 7:30 because no one will be in the gym.
- We have many students with negative lunch balances. Please be sure parents are taking care of any balances ASAP. Checks can be made out to Chariho Regional School District
- If your child comes in at 8:00 for Dreambox with Mr. Mulvey or reading support with Mrs. Pastore or Maker Morning/Green Screen with Mrs. Ward, students must not be coming before 7:55 or they will be charged $3.50 per day.
Social Media Outlets
The PTO Corner
Next meeting February 10, 2020 at 6:30 pm in the Hope Valley School Library
PTO Board Members:
- PTO President: Becky Champlin
- PTO Vice President: Leah Sousa
- PTO Treasurer: Stephanie DaPonte
- PTO Secretary: Chloe Morgan and Kristen Clarke
- PTO Communication: Chelsea Baker
- PTO Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Principal: Giuseppe Gencarelli – Giuseppe.Gencarelli@chariho.k12.ri.us
- School Secretary: Donna Sunderland– Donna.Sunderland@chariho.k12.ri.us
PTO meetings are typically the second working Monday each month. If you’re not able to make the meeting but still want to be involved please send an email to our PTO to make sure you receive a copy of the meeting minutes email@example.com.
Meeting dates for the year are as follows:
- March 9, 2019 @ 6:30
- April 13, 2019 @ 6:30
- May 11, 2019 @ 6:30
About Hope Valley Elementary School
The mission of the Hope Valley Elementary School is to work in partnership with our colleagues, students and families. We are committed to creating a learning environment where children are expected to achieve their full potential.