The discovery of Boron
A Metalloid first discovered in Paris,France.
1808 J.L. Gay-Lussac and L.J. Thenard perform a reaction between boric acid and magnesium to form boron, a grey solid.
Sir Humphry Davy in London, UK tried producing boron using electrolysis.However was not satisfied with the results until he had a reaction between, potassium and boric acid, in a hydrogen atmoshphere.
Neither chemists produced pure boron,they only managed to construct only 60%.
In 1909 American chemist Ezekiel Weintraub was able to produce 99% pure boron.
In 2009 a team led by Artem Oganov was able to demonstrate the two structures of boron B12 and B2.
Led a team to demonstrate the two structures of boron
Worked together with Gay Lussac to form boron.
Uses and Characteristics of Boron
- 1. solid /powder
- 2. black
- 3. low density material
- 4. heat resistant
- 5. almost as hard as diamond
- It is used as a nutrient for plants
- It makes borosilicate glasses it gives the glass heat resistance as well as strength.
- Used in rockets as an igniter which is
- Used as a water softener in washing powder
- Used as control for nuclear reactors and a shield from nuclear radiation