Coleman MS Newsletter, 9/15/2023
2023-2024 COLEMAN MS THEME:
STAY CONNECTED AT COLEMAN:
TEACHING, LEARNING, & BUILDING COMMUNITY:
PROJECT- BASED LEARNING (PBL):
The students, faculty and staff of Coleman Middle School are so excited to be able to host our first community showcase of the 2023-2024 school year! We believe input from our stakeholders is an integral part of "The Coleman Experience" for our students. We will be hosting 3 showcase events as detailed below. We hope you will be able to attend and provide feedback to our students regarding their projects. Feel free to invite any of your colleagues, family, and friends to attend. Please use the link at the bottom of this email to sign-up for the showcase prior to attending.
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2023
Time: 2:40 pm - 3:40 pm
Location: 8th grade classrooms
Driving Question: How can we help Duluth prosper?
Date: Tuesday, October 3, 2023
Time: 10:00 am - 11:00 am
Location: 7th grade classrooms
Driving Question: How can we as citizens of Duluth use our strengths to improve a local problem?
Date: Wednesday, October 4, 2023
Time: 10:15 am - 11:00 am
Location: Nguyen team - Media Center, Clement team - Cafeteria, Chung team - 6th grade classrooms
Driving Question: How can we design affordable and high-quality housing for the Duluth community?
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.orgThank you for your continued support of Coleman Middle School!
The Coleman PBIS Store is Officially Open!
Interested in Making Donations to our PBIS Store? Use the QR Code below to donate through our Amazon Wish List Fundraiser or feel free to drop any items to our PBIS Coach, Nicole Burch!
Tuesday, September 26- Coleman Student Council:
Our first meeting will be on September 26, 2023 at 8:15 AM. Parents, please drop your students off in the front.
GCPS Communication: Sex Education Opt Out Letter
Parents and guardians of students enrolled in a health course will have the opportunity to "Opt Out" of the Sex Education portion of the course through a link they will receive via Parent Square. On September 15th, the link will go to all parents and guardians of student’s grades (4-12) enrolled in health this semester; however, only parents or guardians wishing to opt out will need to complete the form.
Congratulations to these Artists:
Congratulations to the students below who have been invited to display their art at the Santa Fe Mall, Duluth, for the Hispanic Heritage Month, starting on Saturday, September 16 at 2 PM and until October 15th.
Alejandra De Nobrega Jimenez
Grenly Aracena Gaston
Nathalia Cabrera Duarte
Maria Cabrera Duarte
Coleman Spirit Night at Chick Fil A, September 25th, 4:30PM - 7:30PM:
Join us at Chick Fil A on Monday, September 25th from 4:30PM to 7:30PM for our second of the year Coleman Spirit Night! Just tell them you are with Coleman Middle School when ordering and the Coleman PTA will receive 10% of the night's sales. Chick Fil A is located at 3555 Peachtree Industrial Boulevard in Duluth.
PTA Booth at the Duluth Fall Festival Parade on Saturday, September 30th, beginning at 8:00AM:
Save the Date! Come out and support our Coleman PTA on Saturday, September 30th, beginning at 8:00AM at the Duluth Fall Festival Parade. We will set up a booth selling "Break" Coffee, "Krispy Kreme" Donuts, and Coleman Hoodies at the corner stop sign in front of Coleman Middle School.
Sign up to Volunteer at the First Quarter Good Behavior Celebration Walk and Talk, Wednesday, October 4th:
The PTA supports the school by seeking 3 volunteers per time slot in selling refreshments. Please consider signing up for a time slot on the following link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090E44ACAB2BA13-good.
Order Your PTA Memberships, Spiritwear, and 8th Grade Yard Signs on our Givebacks PTA Online Store (formerly Memberhub):
Please click on the following link to check out and purchase our merchandise on our online store: Givebacks.
If you have any questions or concerns about anything, please email us at email@example.com.
See you soon!
The Coleman PTA
A Letter to our Parents from the City of Duluth
CRISIS ALERT BADGES:
DID YOU KNOW THAT COLEMAN MS IS LAUNCHING PBIS THIS YEAR?
As part of PBIS, here at Coleman we have:
- First 20 day lessons to teach students expected behaviors.
- A table displaying expected behaviors in each classroom and the school. You can use this LINK to see our Behavior Matrix.
- Daily morning meetings and weekly advisement lessons to build classroom community.
- Behavior rewards such as weekly "Brain Breaks" and "Golden Tickets", monthly access to our PBIS store where students can redeem "paw points" they earn daily from teachers and staff, and quarterly Walk & Talks.
- A 9-step discipline process and behavior log for each student. Click this LINK to review the 9-steps.
More information will be shared during curriculum night.
STUDENT PHONES AND OTHER SMART DEVICES:
You can use this LINK to review the expectations with your student. They have also been included in the student agenda. These expectations include also an outline of our 3-step discipline procedure when students do not meet expectations.
DRESS FOR SUCCESS:
SCHOOL HOURS AND ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL:
- School hours are from 9:15 AM to 4:00 PM. Students are marked tardy after 9:15 AM.
- Students must be dropped off in the back at car rider lane. Doors open at 8:50 AM. Students who are late must be dropped off at the front entrance.
- Do not use the bus lanes before 9:30 AM or 4:30 PM. You can park on Main St. for drop off or pick up at these times.
- Students go directly to breakfast from car rider and bus lane. To protect learning time, students have grab-and-go lunch available after 9:10 AM.
- It is very important that you review the Coleman MS procedures for arrival and dismissal on this LINK and watch the video included for car riders.
IS YOUR STUDENT A CAR RIDER?- PLEASE READ THESE REMINDERS. OUR CHILDREN SAFETY IS OUR PRIORITY!
- Make sure you visit our website, including a picture and a video of our car rider pick up procedure. Please be respectful of our procedures. They have been put in place to protect our students' safety.
- Write your student's name on a paper and place it on your dashboard the first few weeks.
- Student will dismiss from the gym on days of inclement weather. Please have their names displayed on your dashboard.
- Be patient until our new 6th graders learn. Build some time on your schedule because the first few days will be slower, but it gets better.
- Be courteous and respectful to our teachers and staff on duty.
- Remind your children to look for their car, and remember, everybody is trying to pick up their child and get to your next family activity!
SCHOOL NUTRITION SERVICES:
Due to additional reimbursement funding from the Georgia Department of Education, here are some changes coming this school year:
- Free and Reduced-Price students will receive breakfast at no charge. Students with Full Pay eligibility will be charged $1.50.
- Free and Reduced-Price students will receive lunch at no charge. Students with Full Pay eligibility will pay $2.25/$2.50 for lunch.
Use this LINK to review information regarding GCPS nutrition program and to have access to the Free and Reduced Lunch application.
STUDENT & PARENT HANDBOOK AND IMPORTANT FORMS:
- Coleman's and GCPS' Parent and Student handbooks will included on My Payment Plus for your review and signature.
- If you need assistance with you MPP account, email our parent liaison, Lorena Rojas at firstname.lastname@example.org
DISTRICT'S VIRTUAL BACKPACK:
Use this LINK to access the district virtual backpack with timely school information and forms.
COMMUNITY AND BUSINESS PARTNERS:
Thank you for your support!
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN HAVING YOUR OWN RESERVED PARKING SPOT FOR DISMISSAL WHILE HELPING THE SCHOOL?
- First come first serve, 6 spaces
- Located on the side parking lot (Across Parson's Alley)
- Cost $600
- Money goes back to our STEAM program!
- Contact our bookkeeper Monique.Young@gcpsk12.org
* About Your Principal:
Hello Coleman Middle School Parent or Guardian,
If you would like to learn more about how my personal and professional background connect to Coleman Middle School, and you did not have the opportunity to meet me during my transition to Coleman on December 2021, please feel free to click the link below to watch my introduction message.
Coleman Middle School, GCPS
Gwinnett's flagship STEAM school & GA Department of Education STEAM-certified school
Principal: Dr. Gypsy Hernandez
Summer School Hours: 7:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Regular School Hours: 9:15 AM - 4:00 PM