Fifth Grade Math Summer Packet
Helpful worksheets and websites for summer success!
Dear Future Fifth Graders!
I am very excited to see all of you cross to the other side of the hallway next year as fifth grade students.
In order for you to understand my expectations, we need to be on the same page about “understanding” and “making mistakes”. When I say, “I expect you to understand” that means you should know how to start the problem, go through the process, and find the answer. It does not mean I expect you to get every question correct every time. For example, when you are multiplying with lattice, if you make a multiplication fact mistake or adding mistake, which is okay as long as you know how to complete the problem. You just made a silly mistake.
- It is very important for you to be comfortable with your addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts for numbers 1-12.
- We will spend time discussing throughout the year how important they are, especially in middle school.
- I will never grade you on math facts, however you should make your best effort in becoming fluent.
- A fluent student should be able to complete at least 30 of the 36 facts correctly in one minute.
- It is not necessary, but it reduces anxiety and makes math much easier.
Timed Test Worksheets
Another great online resource is www.xtramath.org . This site will cater to your fact needs and challenge you at the correct pace.
Fourth Grade Skills to Practice and Master
- Multiplying multi-digit numbers
- Adding multi-digit numbers
- Subtracting multi-digit numbers