"Need to Knows" About Shelters
By Julie Hollensbe
What does a shelter do?
A shelter protects you from the sun, wind, rain, snow, hot/cold temperatures, insects, and even your enemies
How do I know where to build my shelter?
Your area must be...
- large enough
- level enough
- free from insects, reptiles, poisonous plants
When considering a shelter site, use the word BLISS as your guide..
B- blend in with your surroundings
L- low silhoutte
I- irregular shape
S- secluded location
What are some things I should consider before I build my shelter?
- How much time and effort you will need
- If the material will protect you from elements (sun, wind, snow, rain)
- If you have the right tools to build it
- If you have enough materials
One last thing to keep in mind...
The most common error in making a shelter is making it too large! It needs to be large enough to protect you, but small enough to contain your body heat, especially in colder weather!