Sammy, Precious and Yami
Heredity and Environmental factors
- People tend to look both backward on their youth and forward in expectation of remaining years of their lives.
- Maturity- the ability to adapt to the inevitable changes that happen in life.
- Changes are natural.
- When children leave the household, that can truly affect the parents.
Social and emotional development
- Children are born, grown up and eventually leave home.
- With generativity vs stagnation, generativity is reaching out to give to and guide the next generation. Stagnation is the negative outcome of midlife.
- This is when they usually reach their goals.
- Could also experience "midlife crisis".
- Receiving grandchildren.
Role of Communication
- Many adult couples find effective ways of improving their ability to communicate.
- Communication establishes and nurtures intimacy within a relationship.
- Friends provide a healthy alternative to family and acquaintances.
- Communication realistically leads to a satisfying and healthy relationship.
- When children leave the house, and do not reconnect with parents, it's called empty nest syndrome.
Morals on Social Development
- Develop "a heightened awareness of mortality and a desire to use the remaining time more wisely."
- Seek to advance in their occupation and climb the ladder of success.
- May make a few external changes.
- Feel a responsibility for the current generation.
- Retirement may occur.
- Still must interact with their children, even if they're adults.
- If they have grandchildren, must interact with them.
- They need to realize that they must now become psychological than physical.
- They are more wise than they were younger, have more knowledge with life. Can help others with advice, issues, etc.
"Physical Development in Adolescence Hereditary and Environmental Influences." HealthTap. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2014.
"Result Filters." National Center for Biotechnology Information. U.S. National Library of Medicine, n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2014.
"Why Effective Communication Is Important in Developing Positive Relationships with Children, Young People and Adults." StudyMode. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2014.
"Relationships in Middle Adulthood." Relationships in Middle Adulthood. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2014.
"Parenting School-Age Children." Education.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2014.
"Quizlet." Middle Adulthood: Social and Emotional Development Flashcards. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2014.
"Middle Adulthood-Social and Emotional Changes." Middle Adulthood-Social and Emotional Changes. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2014.
"Untitled Document." Untitled Document. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Mar. 2014.