January Reminders for GMS Families
Gettys Middle School - Easley, SC
New Dismissal Times for January 4 - January 15
- 8th grade car riders and walkers at 1:15 pm
- 7th grade car riders and walkers at 1:25 pm
- 6th grade car riders and walkers at 1:35 pm
- Multi-grade car rider families report at time of lowest grade level student for all
- Families should not arrive until these posted times. If you arrive early, you should park in the lower football parking lot until your grade level dismissal time so traffic flow can continue for other grade level's dismissal.
The reason for this change is that these two weeks are now the times where SDPC must give End-of-Course tests and midterm or final exams for select high school credit courses due to us starting school later in August than we had originally scheduled. This schedule is also based on the need to keep middle school and high school dismissals aligned for the purpose of bus routes in the afternoon.
Click above for the new bell schedule for the first two weeks in January.
January 19 Remote Day and Meet the Teacher Event for Students Attending GMS from PCVA
January 19 will be a remote learning day for students and class assignments will be posted in Schoology as there will be not be any live WebEx classes on this day so teachers can attend our Meet the Teacher event.
Students who attended the Pickens County Virtual Academy first semester and will now be transitioning to face-to-face instruction at Gettys Middle can attend our Meet the Teacher event to be held on January 19 in our gym. Students and their families should attend at the published grade level times:
- 6th grade Meet the Teacher 8:30-9:30 am
- 7th grade Meet the Teacher 9:45-10:45 am
- 8th grade Meet the Teacher 11:00-noon
- All attending are required to wear masks and socially distance from others by 6 feet.
- This event is only for NEW students to face-to-face GMS. If your child attended our school during the first semester they do not report.
Preparing for January 20 Second Semester
We are preparing for the change in our student population that will increase our GMS face-to-face students by approximately 160 students or about 50 students per grade. The first semester we were able to keep all students six feet apart in classrooms and that allowed us to have minimal quarantines. DHEC only requires a "close contact" of a positive case to quarantine if they are within 6 feet of the positive case for 15 minutes or more. Our goal for second semester will be to have all classes at six feet and we have restructured our classes to accomplish that. If we ever need additional procedures we may have desks 3 feet apart in a few isolated cases as permitted by DHEC but with plexiglass around the desk as allowed by SC DHEC to avoid quarantines of other students. Students will be required to wear masks and socially distance at six feet as safety protocols.
Since we have about 50 students being added to each grade and a few added teachers, we will need to rebalance the homeroom cohorts and some students' schedules will change. This will allow us to adjust our classes and balance each cohort and maintain the beneficial six feet in each academic classroom. Updated student schedules will be provided in January as we approach the January 20 second semester date.
Please nominate a Teacher of the Month for the excellent service and teaching they provide to your child. Just answer three brief questions to easily nominate an outstanding GMS Teacher!
Mrs. Titus Recognized as December Teacher of the Month
Jayden Robinson said that Mrs. Titus takes what could have been a boring subject and make it exciting and interesting. Not only do they take notes, but they have activities that are actually fun. Aaliyah Hamby agrees and says that Mrs. Titus is like a mother to her students. The teacher of the month for December is our 8th grade Science Teacher, Mrs. Titus! Congratulations!
We have reduced capacity for all athletic events with required social distancing of 6 feet for the safety of all in attendance. The best way to secure a ticket for the big game is to purchase online in advance of the event.
Enter repair information into the Google Form and Mrs. Nelson will meet with you at school and escort you to the Tech Support Room for additional information and service.
Please review this student agenda and handbook with your child.
GETTYS CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- 1/4/21 Classes resume after Winter Break: please note new dismissal time for middle/high schools for Jan 4 -Jan 15
- 1/4/21 Boys Basketball Home vs Seneca 5:30 pm
- 1/4/21 Girls Basketball Away vs Seneca 5:30 pm
- 1/7/21 Girls Basketball Home vs Seneca 5:30 pm.
- 1/7/21 Boys Basketball Away vs Seneca 5:30 pm
- 1/12/21 Girls Basketball Home vs RC Edwards 5:30 pm
- 1/12/21 Boys Basketball Away vs RC Edwards 5:30 pm
- 1/14/21 Boys Basketball Home vs RC Edwards 5:30 pm
- 1/14/21 Girls Basketball Away vs RC Edwards 5:30 pm
- 1/18/21 No school: holiday
- 1/19/21 End of First Semester. Students do not report this day. Classroom lessons are posted in Schoology for remote day.
- 1/19/21 Meet the Teacher Day for new GMS students from PCVA with 6th grade families attending 8:30-9:30 am, 7th grade attends 9:45-10:45 and 8th grade attends 11:00-noon.
- 1/20/21 First Day of Second Semester. First day of students attending their declared choice for second semester.
It is important that all families sign up for Schoology on their computer or the app for their phones. You can have access to daily grades, upcoming assignments and information from teachers. This is a great resource!
COVID-19 Update and Testing
Free Local testing:
Parking Lot of J.B. Red Owens Complex: Free COVID-19 testing is being administered by DHEC in the parking lot of the J.B. Red Owens Complex each weekday from 9am-4pm until further notice. Address is 111 Walkers Way in Easley. Testing is free and no insurance is required. No appointment necessary, but preregistering will make your testing process speedier. You can preregister at http://www.cutt.ly/preregister