Introduction to Genetics
By: Carmen Silva
- Genotype - Gene combination (at least 2 letters) ex: TT, Tt, tt
- Phenotype - Physical Appearance (ex: tall, short, round, red)
- Homozygous - The 2 alleles (genes) for a trait are the same (ex: HH or hh)
- Heterozygous - The 2 alleles (genes) for a trait are different (ex: Hh)
- Dominant - The allele tat masks or hides the recessive allele (uppercase letter) Ex: DD)
- Recessive - The allele that is masked or hidden by the dominant allele (lowercase letter) Ex: dd
Questions and Answers
- How can someone predict the traits of offspring?
2. Why is it important to study the principles of inheritance (how traits are passed on to offspring)?
So that you can predict what your or someone else's child might look like.