Is Your Home Healthy
Your Health and Your Home
11 Most Toxic Cleaning Products
I converted my home to non toxic products in 2012 and couldn't be happier with the Company I am with. I have included my webpage for you to take a look at what I use in place of chemical laden products from the store.
The company has over 450 products for you and your home.
Spring is the season for refreshing and cleaning the home. But if you use almost any modern cleaning product you’ll simply replace dirt with dangerous toxins. The base chemicals found in most popular cleaners – from air fresheners to oven cleaners, furniture polishes to detergents – include many well-known carcinogens and contaminants that risk affecting the immune, respiratory and reproductive systems.
Top Cleaning Products to Avoid
1. WINDOW OR GLASS CLEANER– These products typically contain ammonia. Ammonia can irritate the skin, eyes and respiratory system. It will react with chlorinated products to produce a fatal chloramine gas.
2. CONVENTIONAL AIR FRESHENERS – Air fresheners coat your nasal passages with an oil film called methoxychlor, which will kill the nerves in your nose over time, and interfere with your ability to smell.
3. CONVENTIONAL ANTI-BACTERIAL CLEANERS – Along with the production of new antibiotic-resistant “super-bugs,” the Centers for Disease Control says that anti-bacterial cleaners can also interfere with immune system development in children and they also contain triclosan which can be absorbed by the skin and cause liver damage.
4. BLEACH – Bleach is an extremely strong corrosive that can burn the skin, eyes and respiratory tract. NEVER mix bleach with ammonia products, as fatal fumes will be produced.
5. CONVENTIONAL LAUNDRY DETERGENT – Laundry detergents contain phosphorus, enzymes, ammonia, naphthalene, phenol, sodium nitilotriacetate, to name a few. These can cause rashes, itchiness, dryness and sinus problems. These chemicals are easily absorbed through your skin from your clothes and bed sheets.
6. CONVENTIONAL DRAIN CLEANER – Drain cleaner typically contains sodium hydroxide or sulfuric acid, which can cause blindness if splashed in the eyes.
7. CONVENTIONAL OVEN CLEANER – Most oven cleaners contain extremely corrosive bases of sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide.
8. BLEACH BASED CLEANING POWDERS – Many of these cleaning powders such as ‘Comet’ or ‘Ajax’ contain formaldehyde (a known human carcinogen recognized by the World Health Organization) benzene, chloroform among many others. Side effects can include: cancer, asthma and reproductive disorders.
9. FURNITURE POLISH – Furniture polish such as ‘Pledge’ contains nitrobenzene, which is extremely toxic and easily absorbed through the skin.
10. TOILET BOWL CLEANERS – Contains hydrochloric acid, which is corrosive to the skin and eyes.
11. DISHWASHER DETERGENT – Contain a highly concentrated form of dried chlorine, every time you wash your dishes there is some residue left, and when you use these dishes to eat with you actually consume these chemicals.