Grade Napoleon Bonaparte
You Decide: Was He a Hero or a Villain?
HAVE YOU EVER WANTED TO BE THE ONE ASSIGNING GRADES?
At the end of this activity you will grade one of the most famous men in history... Napoleon!
A child of the Revolution and a "military genius" at a time when France needed authority, Napoleon "rose from obscurity to mastery of France" in just a few short years. It's what he did next that you need to evaluate.
- You will research Napoleon's rule in France, looking for both positive and negative actions.
- You will evaluate his actions, and his intentions, in three main categories -- domestic policy, foreign policy, and ability to gain the trust and respect of his people.
- You will organize your evaluation into a report card format, grading both his effort and his achievement in each of these categories.
- You will then use this information to rate him, overall, on a hero--villain continuum and support your ranking with details for his reign.
- Use your textbook and the resources below to learn about Napoleon and complete a research focused worksheet.
- Using your research to help you decide what grade Napoleon should earn, fill out the report card for each category (domestic policy, foreign policy, and trust/respect of his people). Evaluate him both for effort and for achievement. Complete all parts of the report card.
- When your report card is complete, review your grades. Then, on the bottom, decide where Napoleon should be placed on a hero--villain continuum. Justify your ranking on the back of the report card with at least 3 strong arguments.