5th Grade News!
- Please make sure that your child is dressed for colder weather during recess. We will go outside if the windchill is 38 degrees or higher. If windchill is 37 degrees or lower, we will have indoor recess.
- If your child would like to bring his or her own headphones to use with the computers, that is perfectly fine. However, they will be responsible for them.
Please follow the link at the end of this email and submit the RSVP form if you are planning to attend the Classroom Valentine Parties at Norris on Friday, February 12th at 1:45 pm.
- The DEADLINE to RSVP for the Class Valentine Parties is WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 10th at 3:00 pm. If you miss the deadline and still wish to attend the parties, you will be asked to sign in at the front office. This process is more time consuming and there will be a long line. Photo ID required!
- Please fill out the form only AFTER your ID (Driver's License) has been scanned in the front office. Feel free to come into the office to scan your license before the deadline to submit the form. Each visitor planning to attend needs to submit a form.
Please contact the school if you have any questions at 469-633-4075. We look forward to seeing you there!
RSVP Form: http://goo.gl/forms/e9VV4QhzbE.
KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS RAFFLE
WIN a night at the MOVIES!
1. Ensure your family and friends have linked their Kroger Plus cards to NORRIS ELEMENTARY PTA (https://www.kroger.com/communityrewards).
2. Shop at Kroger and use your Kroger Plus card.
3. Make a “raffle ticket” by tearing off the bottom of your Kroger receipts showing:
2015-2016 Kroger Community Rewards
You are contributing to
NORRIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PTA
4. Clearly write your first and last name, your grade and your teacher’s name on the “raffle ticket” in CAPITAL LETTERS.
5. Drop your “raffle ticket” in the raffle box in the school office.
Raffle tickets will be accepted from January 15, 2016 through February 29, 2016. The drawing will take place on March 1, 2016.
We are moving onto dividing decimals. We got our feet wet with this last week and are representing the division with base 10 blocks, models, and pictures. Students will make the connection that it is very similar to dividing whole numbers, but will often put the decimal in the wrong place. It is important that they understand decimal place value and which answer are reasonable.
We were taught the "trick," to just count how many places are behind a decimal and just stick the decimal there and POOF that's the answer! Having students represent the operation will help them to better understand the concept.
Homework: Modeling division of decimals with decimal Squares
FISD Cluster 3 Parent Letter:
FISD Cluster 3 Guide to Digging Deeper:
Homework: Study Spelling Words
This week we will continue working on the 2nd part of the Earth and Space unit. The students will be able to compare and contrast the Sun, Earth, and Moon.
HOMEWORK: Unit 4 Vocabulary words and STEMscopes activity Week 3 and 4
This week in Reading we will analyze fiction. We will ask questions before, during, and after reading to improve comprehension. We will also analyze characters and describe how they change throughout the story. When asking questions, we will focus on asking "Thick" meaningful questions instead of "Thin" questions.
HOMEWORK: Read "The Story of Six Blind Men" (passed out in class on Monday) and use your coding strategy to track your thinking as you read. Then, answer the questions. Due Friday!
*Reading STAAR Simulation: Your child will be taking the 5th grade STAAR Simulation (practice assessment) on Thursday, February 11th. Your child will have 4 hours to work on his/her assessment. The results will be used only to drive instruction within Reader's Workshop in the coming months. Please no visitors on these days, as we are modeling what it will be like on our actual STAAR testing days.
Words to Know
- Please let your child's teacher know if they will be going home with another student or going home another way (ex. carpool - walker)
- We do have pencils on hand for students when they don't have one, but they are dwindling away quickly! Please help remind your student to be prepared with supplies when they come to class.