September 10, 2018
A Principal's Perspective
Danielle Galow shared this post with me. The article was posted on Whitesboro ISD's Facebook page. Along with the list below, I was thinking about what I would add to that list. Things like B engaged; B creative; B innovative; B a problem solver; B present; B a team member, B giving and B a cheerleader for others are just a few that I thought of that would describe our staff and what we want for our students. What would you add to the list for GP? We all know that we are more than just a test, a published score that is a snapshot of a day in the lives of our students. I am thankful for each of you and all that you do for our students so that they can B successful beyond a test.
"Recently TEA gave each school in the state of Texas a letter grade that was derived 100% from a 1 day exam. Your Whitesboro ISD received a grade of a "B." We are neither excited nor upset with our "grade." In fact, we have a few other meanings for the letters given but will stick to ours for the purpose of this post!
You see, what the state fails to realize, and chooses not to recognize, is the fact that teachers all across this state do more for the children of their communities than teach them how to pass a test. For example, your Whitesboro Middle School teachers have built a "pantry," if you will, for the purposes of providing for the fundamental needs of their students. This is not a "TEK" that must be covered in unit 3 and spiraled back in during unit 7; no, this is love, this is kindness, this is compassion, this is understanding, this is seeing a need and filling it! So with that, and as we embark on a new school year we at WISD would like to challenge you with the following:
and "B" Thankful that yours, mine and all teachers teach more than just a test!"
Be innovative - Design the possibilities!
Morning Duties for the Week
Gym & Morning Assembly (7:20-7:45): Herzog
Word of the Week: approximately
Tuesday Book Share: Herzog & Fortner
Gym (7:20-7:45): Grant
Parent Drop Off Direct Traffic (7:20-7:55): Knight
Parent Drop Off Car Doors (7:20-7:55): Owen & Lake
Cafeteria (7:20-8:00): Eppes
Bus (7:15 - 7:55 Buses/ Cafeteria after all buses arrive): Magnuson
Counselor Schedule: PreK & K
Week at a Glance
Monday: Kinder Color Days: Wear Blue (Wear your Boosterthon Blue Shirt & wear your jeans!); Boosterthon Pep Rally @ 1:45 in gym; Faculty Meeting @ 3:30 in Cafeteria (all classroom teachers); 3 Weeks Progress Reports due by 8:00 am
Tuesday: Kinder Color Days: Wear Purple
Wednesday: Kinder Color Days: Wear Pink
Thursday: Kinder Color Days: Wear Black; Data Team Group 1 (Simmons, Cooper, Grant, LeBlanc, Reed & Samuelson)
Friday: Kinder Color Days: Brown
News & Notes
- New Staff Member: Melissa Shanahan will be joining our GP staff! She will be the primary instructional assistant.
- ProEthica Modules: Please see new calendar deadlines for completing the ProEthica modules. Paraprofessionals are not required to complete the modules. New deadline to complete the modules will be Friday, October 12th.
- Before & After School Clubs: If you are coordinating a before or after school club, please let me know the day, time and start date of your club meetings. Past clubs have been duct tape club, chess club, running club, choir, REACH, BRAVE, art club and STEM club. Clubs are popular and well attended by our students. If you would like to start a new club or continue with your club from last year, please let me know.
- Campus Committees: Please review the GP Committees slated for this school year at this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19BGdKFzt8mnewEG8XhnXS4KBGPY5X9WeTRauDa6Wkvo/edit?usp=sharing Grade level leaders, please review with your team and add as needed. We are in need of CAMP, SPED and K-4th at large committee members on the Social/Emotional Leadership Team. If you are interested in serving on this committee, please come see me. We also need updated members for our School Improvement Planning Committee, SIP. Please review this committee as well. The state has specific guidelines for representation on this committee with certain percentages comprising the committee (teachers, paras, community, etc). If you would like to serve in the capacity of an At Large Member on this committee, please add your name to that section. Otherwise, please make sure that you have representation from your team in the teacher section. This committee has a three year term. If you have a question about any committee, please ask me. Team Leaders: Please complete this with your team by Monday, September 17th.
- Clocks: If you need a clock battery for your classroom clock, please see Casey.
- PTO: A CAMP teacher will serve on the PTO to represent the staff.
Updated ProEthica Timeline
Faculty Meeting Agenda
- Boosterthon Presentation by Boosterthon
- SPED Support - Jackie Hahn
This Week Birthdays:
Jean Bingaman, Sept. 14
Kristen Kieschnick, Sept. 16