Computer Hardware Engineer
I will hack your life
Quick Facts: Computer Hardware Engineers
2012 Median Pay$100,920 per year
$48.52 per hour
Entry-Level EducationBachelor’s degree
Number of Jobs, 201283,300
Job Outlook, 2012-227% (Slower than average)
Occupational outlook handbook
What do Computer Hardware Engineers do
What Computer Hardware Engineers DoAbout this section
These engineers help create large server farms which are used to store huge amounts of data.
Computer hardware engineers research, design, develop, and test computer systems and components such as processors, circuit boards, memory devices, networks, and routers. By creating new directions in computer hardware, these engineers create rapid advances in computer technology.
Computer hardware engineers typically do the following:
- Design new computer hardware, creating blueprints of computer equipment to be built
- Test the completed models of the computer hardware they design
- Analyze the test results and modify the design as needed
- Update existing computer equipment so that it will work with new software
- Oversee the manufacturing process for computer hardware
- Maintain knowledge of computer engineering trends and new technology
Many hardware engineers design noncomputer devices that incorporate processors and other computer components and connect to the Internet. For example, there are many car parts with computer systems embedded in them. A growing number of medical devices are also designed by computer hardware engineers with a computer system and the ability to connect to the Internet.
Computer hardware engineers ensure that computer hardware components work together with the latest software developments. Therefore, hardware engineers sometimes work with software developers. For example, the hardware and software for a mobile phone are often jointly developed. Hardware engineers may also perform some basic computer programming and test computer code.
Occupational Outlook Handbook