Dairy Food Group
By: Samantha Beach
Why is the dairy food group important?
Milk and dairy products contain many nutrients and provide a quick and easy way of supplying these nutrients to the diet within relatively few calories
5 Healthy foods
- Cottage Cheese
- Fruit Smoothies
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder (like Hershey’s Special Dark)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup mild oil
- ¼ cup nondairy milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Prepare 2 large cookie sheets by oiling or covering with parchment paper.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and cut in with a pastry cutter or 2 forks. Use your hands to make a ball. If the dough is too crumbly, add another tablespoon of nondairy milk and try again.
- Roll out ¼ of the dough at a time on a floured work surface into a medium thickness. Use bat and cat cookie cutters to cut out shapes and gently place them on the baking sheet.
- Repeat until all the dough is used. If you use medium-sized cookie cutters, these will need to bake for about 10 minutes. The cookies will be crunchy.