Hark! The Herald
Friday, April 5th, 2019
“Blossom by blossom the spring begins.” — Algernon Charles Swinburne
At Saint Michael School, you are never too old to get outside and play during recess!
Important Dates and Reminders
Tuesday, April 16th: Chrism Mass in Burlington
Friday, April 19th: GOOD FRIDAY, NO SCHOOL
Sunday, April 21st: Easter Sunday
April 22-26: EASTER BREAK, NO SCHOOL
Families and parishioners are welcome and encouraged to participate in all of the activities and masses that take place during Holy Week. We hope you will join us!
Upcoming in May:
Friday, May 17: Early Release for Teacher In-Service Day, after care until 3pm
Thursday, May 23rd: Spring Concert
Friday, May 24th: Race for Education
Monday, May 27th: Memorial Day, No school
Just a reminder that the front door doesnt open until 8:15 am.
- Anyone 12 and under who is found in the building before 8:15 will be asked to head down to the beforecare room, and the family will be billed accordingly.
- Any students 13 and older must wait outside until the building is open.
School supplies wishlist
- We are in dire need of tissues. If you can send a box or two for your child's classroom, that would be really helpful.
- glue sticks
- large adult scissors for the art room
- chewable or liquid ibuprofen or acetaminophen
- hand sanitizer
The Online Enrollment Portal is NOW OPEN!
In order to enroll your family for 2019/2020, you will need to login to Parentsweb. If you are new to Parentsweb, you will have to create a new account.
The enrollment packet should be completed by the person who is responsible for student enrollment, i.e the "primary parent or guardian".
Here is the link you need to get started:
On the left side, select Apply/Enroll, the rest is self explanatory.
Our district code is sm-vt.
UPDATE: You cannot access the online enrollment portal through a cell phone. You must use a traditional computer to view "Apply/Enroll" in the menu and move forward in the system.
We will have the technology lab open next Thursday 4/11 during Night at the Museum. Computers will be available to complete enrollment and staff will be available to answer questions.
Please keep a few things in mind as you proceed with enrollment:
- This is the first time we have ever done this... there will be inevitable hiccups in the computer programming, and questions about the enrollment process. I am here to help work through all of these hurdles with you! Please just reach out for help.
- It will seem overwhelming, but next year will be a breeze, especially if you have more than one child!!! Please keep in mind that this allows us to integrate 3 different processes: enrollment, financial aid/tuition plans, and that huge packet at orientation in August. Take your time, and know that once you enter this information for us, it will be on file permanently. Meaning next year, you will only need to glance over it and make necessary changes.
- In order to finalize enrollment for your family, you must pay the $175.00 enrollment fee. You will also have the option to setup a tuition plan now, or skip it and come back later to finalize your tuition arrangements.
- We will be rolling out an online billing system, called Incidental Billing, this fall. This will manage all of your monthly charges such as lunch, extended care, purchases of ties or shirts, even wintersports and Camp Hi-Rock. So everyone will need to setup an account in FACTS moving forward, regardless of your payment plan for tuition.
- "Change can be frightening, and the temptation is often to resist it. But change almost always provides opportunities - to learn new things, to rethink tired processes, and to improve the way we work." -Klaus Schwab.
We are confident that these changes will improve clear communication between families and the school, make the school more financially sound with automated tuition and billing management, and it will eliminate excessive paperwork and filing. Hurray!!!
This is such a wonderful moment for our school community!
At the bottom of every form you will see an option to Save, advance forward and go backwards. (see below)
Finally, we will begin reviewing Grant and Aid applications.
If you have not already begun the application process for Grant and Aid, please head on over to the site and get started ASAP. To apply for financial aid, visit https://online.factsmgt.com/signin/3JB80.
Financial aid is awarded on a first come, first served basis so it is imperative that you submit your application in a timely manner.
If you have any questions about the enrollment process, I encourage you to stop by the office any time or call 802-254-6320 and ask to speak with Lindsay O'Neil.
It's Parent Survey Time!
The parent survey can be found at the following link:
**It only takes 10-15 minutes of your time, and we are so grateful for your feedback***
Here is a sampling of the questions on the survey:
- The school lunch program offers balanced, nutritious meals for my child
I feel that I have the opportunity to ask questions of the faculty and administration
I am satisfied with the quality and variety of the following extracurricular activities
- Saint Michael School students are adequately prepared to become responsible citizens
Why did you choose to send your child to Saint Michael School?
Parent Survey Challenge: Currently 28 out of 63 families have done the survey
We only have one more week to get parent responses for the board members... I'm starting to get worried that I am going to lose my bet with Mrs. Beam.
C'MON EVERYONE! Please don't let me down!
We have 63 families total and in order to reach my goal of 89% or greater, we need at least 56 families to complete this survey.
I believe in you all!
I will update our thermometer each Friday as encouragement.
Again, the parent survey can be found at the following link:
April is the Month of the Young Child: Come support our preschoolers this weekend.
The exhibit will be this Sunday, April 7th from 10am to 12 noon at the River Garden, 157 Main St.
Spring into The Great Books Group!
Spring has finally sprung and it is time to get active!
__ Do you like to read?
__ Do you enjoy good company and good conversation?
__ Are you a lifetime learner?
If so, come join us next Tuesday, April 9, 2019, from 7:00 - 8:30pm in Room 1 at St. Michael’s Catholic School.
This week the Great Books Group will be starting Oedipus Rex, a classic Greek drama by the playwright Sophocles. In the play, Oedipus, King of Thebes, seeks to lift a plague which has descended upon his city. When it is discovered that the plague has beset Thebes because the city is harboring a murderer, Oedipus pledges to discover the murderer and rid the city of his presence. In so doing Oedipus initiates a riveting sequence of events that will tantalize readers and provoke discussion on the notions of chance, fate and fortune.
The SMS Great Books Group is an outreach of St. Michael Catholic School. The Great Books Group is an adult reading group that offers adults in the Saint Michael school and parish communities an opportunity to enjoy and be enriched by the great literature of western civilization. The GBG follows a course of readings that roughly coincides with the reading lists in the classical core curriculum followed by high school students at St. Michael Catholic School. There is no cost or obligation to join the group.
Have you ordered your yearbook yet?
Final ad placement deadline: April 22nd
Ordering the yearbook deadline is April 26th
Contact Jason Coplan for any questions at email@example.com
Please email your photos, content, and an idea of what you would like done to Jason, and the yearbook staff will create a page for you! If you'd like to create your own, you can do so online with their templates.
Register/order online here
School Code: 082855
School Name: ST. MICHAEL CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Below are some examples of dedication pages and business ads from last year
SMS Preschool Summer Program.
We are pleased to announce that we will again be offering a 5-week
SMS Preschool Summer Program.
Registration forms are available in the office. Summer Camp is open to all children of the community age 3-5 so please let your friends and family know that they are welcome to join us. Please see the flyer below for dates and themes each week.
If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Don: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: There are 10 spots available per week.
Registration is on a first come, first served basis.
Looking for some parent volunteers
- Race for Education in May
- A Spring development newsletter to be assembled and mailed out to school supporters
- Alumni outreach for the graduation and Alumni dinner in June
- Someone willing to come hang out in the office for a few hours is always appreciated for answering phones, greeting guests.
- check in with your teachers... they always have needs and would love a second set of hands or help preparing for a project such as Night at the Museum.
** Finally, WE NEED SOME HELP IN OUR KITCHEN!**
Could you spare an hour here and there to help Bobbi Jo with dishes after lunch service. Anytime after 12:30 pm would be extremely helpful.
She is a magician in the kitchen but she is preparing 3 meals a day for 115 kids... with NO HELP! If you would like to come in and provide some sunshine in someone's day, this would be the way to do it. It doesn't have to be daily but anything you can give would be a gift.
Breakfast Lunch and AMP Menus
Saint Michael Parish Upcoming Lenten Events
Stations & Soup
Our Friday Night Lenten Stations and Soup will begin on March 8th. Stations will begin at 5:30PM followed by soup at St. Brigid’s Kitchen & Pantry at 6PM. Soup will be provided by the following groups:
March 8 – Rectory
March 15 – Religious Education
March 22 – Knights of Columbus
and Daughters of Isabella
March 29 – Parish & Finance Committees
April 5 – St. Michael School
April 12 – St. Brigid’s Kitchen & Pantry
Rice Bowl 2019 - Encounter Lent
Join our faith community—and nearly 14,000 Catholic communities across the United States—in a life-changing Lenten journey of encounter with CRS Rice Bowl. Pick up your family’s CRS Rice Bowl from the church, and don’t forget to download the CRS Rice Bowl app! May these 40 days better prepare us to encounter ourselves, our neighbors and our God.
Other Community Events And Opportunities
New England Youth Theatre Summer Camp
MATH TUTORING CENTER OPENS IN DOWNTOWN BRATTLEBORO!
Brattleboro Math Center, 139 Main St. Brattleboro
Math tutoring for elementary and middle school
Multi-sensory approach to understanding the math
Call Marissa at (510) 919-0843
½ off first session for Saint Michael students
PIANO AND ORGAN LESSONS NOW AVAILABLE
Hi! I'm Breton Abbondanzio, the music teacher at Saint Michael School and Music director for the parish. I'm pleased to offer private lessons in piano and organ to interested families. I teach all ages and levels, and some of my students have won prizes in the ATAM Music Competition in Newton, MA. Lessons are a half hour in duration and my fee is reasonable and competitive.
Please give me a call at (802)251-0644 or email me at email@example.com.
I look forward to teaching your child!
Shop at smile.amazon.com/ch/03-0181252 and Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the Saint Michael Parish Charitable Trust.
We'd Love to Hear from You!
If you are not already a friend of SMS on Facebook, come join us!
We will post school cancellations, fun photos and events that happen during the week that don't make it into the Hark! Please click this link, like and follow our page so you can continue to stay involved.