Dolphin Parent Connection
October 2019 Volume 5, Issue 2
Boosterthon Mind Spark: Wild West! (Save the Date--October 31st)
Parents, once again this year, our school's main fundraiser is the Boosterthon Fun Run! This two-week program kicks off with a Pep Rally on Monday, October 22nd. Families will then gather pledges from family and friends for every lap your student runs (30-35 laps), and we’ll celebrate at the Fun Run on Thursday, October 31st. This will be "Spooktacular" fun. With our big goal of raising $26,000 for new classroom furniture, additional enrichment opportunities and field trips, supplemental classroom resources like RazKids and Flocabulary, continued new selections in our guided reading library, and access to additional STEM resources, we asked the Fun Run experts at Boosterthon to power our Fun Run and make it easier, more profitable, and more fun.
Students will also experience an amazing character theme, MINDSPARK Wild West! All six MindSpark kids from last year's theme will be back in action, solving an even bigger mystery with the help of their S.T.E.A.M. skills and strong character. This time they’ll have to travel BACK IN TIME to the Wild West and save Dr. Shock from the outlaw Bully Malone and his No-Good Gang as they learn about Honesty, Gratitude, Generosity, Kindness, and Humility.
So please consider helping our school by reaching out to sponsors. Also, all families are invited to come out and cheer on your student at the Fun Run! See the calendar for specific grade level times. Thank you for your support!
Upcoming Events and Important Dates
· Tuesday, October 1st: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, October 2nd: Helping Hands Meeting @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, October 2nd: Anchored4Life Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Thursday, October 3rd: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Thursday, October 3rd: Fall Pictures (see below for order information)
· Thursday, October 3rd: IPT Testing for Grade 4 students
· Friday, October 3rd: Bus Evacuation Drills in the AM in the bus loop
· Monday, October 7th: IPT Make-up Testing for Grade 4 students
· Tuesday, October 8th: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, October 9th: SCA Meeting @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, October 9th: Progress Reports issued for select students
· Wednesday, October 9th: Kindergarten Parent Workshop @ 5:30 PM (Cafe)
· Thursday, October 10th: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Thursday, October 10th: Lucky Oyster Spirit Night @ 5:00-8:00 PM (proceeds benefit the upkeep of our aquarium and atrium)
· Saturday, October 12th: Fall Atrium Clean-up and Bathroom Spruce-up @ 9:00 AM-12:00 PM (see sign-up below)
· Monday, October 14th: Virtual Learning Day (Staff Work Day--no school for students)
· Tuesday, October 15th: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, October 15th: Grade 5 Gifted Screening
· Wednesday, October 16th: Helping Hands Meeting @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, October 16th: SCA Meeting/Installation Practice @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Thursday, October 17th: SCA Installation @ 9:00 AM
· Thursday, October 17th: Great American Shakeout (Earthquake Drill during school)
· Thursday, October 17th: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Thursday, October 17th: Navigating the Journey Resource Fair @ 5:30-8:00 PM Virginia Beach Convention Center (see Counselor Corner below for more info)
· Friday, October 18th: SCA Parents Night Out @ 6:00-9:00 PM
· Tuesday, October 22nd: Boosterthon Pep Rally Day
· Tuesday, October 22nd: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Thursday, October 24th: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, October 29th: First Grade Field Trip to Cullipher Farm
· Tuesday, October 29th: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, October 30th: Kindergarten & 3rd Grade Vision & Hearing Screening
· Wednesday, October 30th: Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:15 PM
· Thursday, October 31st: Boosterthon Fun Run Day (2nd & 3rd 9:40 AM; 4th & 5th 10:50 AM; K & 1st 12:15 PM)
· Thursday, October 31st: NO Girls on the Run
· Monday, November 4th: End of 1st Marking Period
· Tuesday, November 5th: Virtual Learning Day (Staff Work Day--no school for students)
· Wednesday, November 6th: Beginning of 2nd Marking Period
· Wednesday, November 6th: Anchored4Life Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, November 6th: Helping Hands Meeting @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Thursday, November 7th: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Friday, November 8th: PTA Veterans Day Celebration (see PTA News below for more info) @ 8:30 AM
Fall Atrium Clean-up and Bathroom Spruce-up
Saturday, Oct. 12th, 9am-12pm
1860 Sandbridge Road
Virginia Beach, VA
As part of the division's overall strategic goal to utilize and expand social-emotional learning practices, the Office of K-12 and Gifted Programs is co-hosting a one-day Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted (SENG) mini conference in Virginia Beach at Kellam HS on Saturday, November 2, 2019 from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Parents and community members are encouraged to attend. You can register at the conference by visiting the SENG organization's website at https://www.sengifted.org/calendar.
5th Grade Gifted Screening News:
An Assessment Specialist for gifted education will be at Red Mill Elementary on Tuesday, October 15, 2019 to work with 5th grade students. A good night's sleep and a nutritious breakfast are the best preparation for screening. Having your child present on this date is appreciated, but a make up date will be scheduled if needed. Your child's gifted screening score will be available on ParentVUE by November 1, 2019.
The 1st grade gifted screening will take place Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at Red Mill.
The link below is used for all gifted application services to include identification, cluster classroom, Old Donation School, dance, and visual arts. Please note that the gifted visual arts application requires a portfolio to be submitted to complete the application.
Grades 2-7: January 10, 2020 4:00 p.m.
Grade 1: February 10, 2020 4:00 p.m.
If you have questions, please reach out to Tamyra Natividad, Gifted Resource Teacher, at email@example.com
School Counselor Corner
October is National Bullying Prevention Month, and our classroom lessons will focus on this topic from the perspective of the target, aggressor, and bystander. Students will learn strategies to report and address bullying behavior, transforming them from bystanders to UPstanders.
VBCPS is again sponsoring a Pre-K–12 resource fair, Navigating the Journey, on Thursday, October 17th from 5:30 – 8:00 pm at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. At this event, students and parents will be able to learn more about a variety of programs and services offered within the division. See the flyer below for more information.
The Beach Girls Rock empowerment series for 5th-8th grade girls is returning as well. The first session is scheduled for Saturday, October 19, 2019 from 8am-12pm at Green Run High School. Please contact Ms. Whitt for registration forms and additional information via phone (648-3572) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
National School Lunch Week October 14-18, 2019
October PTA virtual meeting! Our next PTA board planning meeting will be held on October 8th at 11:45 AM. Parents are welcome to join. These are usually smaller meetings where the executive board members discuss upcoming events and other necessary topics. On Tuesday, October 15th at 7 PM, we will hold our first ever virtual/Facebook live, general PTA meeting! Please join us online to hear the latest and ask questions. The Facebook page is listed under “Red Mill PTA.” Be sure to look for the dolphin.
PTA Reflections Program: The Reflections program encourages students to explore the arts and express themselves. This year’s theme is “Look Within.” Entries are due October 29th. School-wide winners will receive a gift card and have the chance to compete in the city-wide contest. Please see the link for detailed information and contact Maribel Cabrera (email@example.com) with any questions. https://bit.ly/2N5zvWr. We could also use some parent judges (if your child is not entering the contest). We’ll be meeting at 1 PM on Wednesday, November 6th. If you can help, please email Ms. Cabrera. See below for entry form and flyer.
Veterans’ Day Celebration: Are you a veteran or do you know a veteran? Red Mill Elementary invites veterans from all branches and conflicts to visit with our students on Friday, November 8th at 8:30 am. We will meet for a light breakfast and then disperse to visit classrooms to talk with our students about your time in theater as well as answer questions they may present. If you are available and willing, please send the following information to Anna Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757.620.4902. Email or text is accepted. Please send the following information by November 1, 2019. We are looking forward to another successful Veteran’s Day!
- Name (including Rank/Grade)
- Branch of service
- MOS or Specialty
- Conflict location and dates
- If you have a student at RMES and would like to request a specific teacher/classroom, please include his or her name. Additional details will be relayed once we know how many we will be welcoming.
Boosterthon Fun Run: The Boosterthon Fun Run will be held on October 31st! It is Red Mill’s largest fundraising event. The excitement is not just on the day of the run, but in the days leading up to it. Children are taught about positive character traits through a series of pep rallies. Parents and grandparents are welcome to come and watch their child on the day of the run. We will need some helpers and will send out a SignUp Genius soon.
Anticipating excess Halloween candy? The PTA will be set up in the foyer Friday morning, November 1st and Monday morning, November 4th, to collect any “extra” Halloween candy. Students can make a drop-off on their way in (approx. 7:45 - 8:10). The candy will be given to a local orthodontist office which will send it to troops stationed overseas! It’s an easy way to show our support for the troops and avoid cavities!
Turkey Bingo: Mark your calendars. Turkey Bingo will be held Friday, November 15th from 6:00-8:00 pm. This is a Red Mill favorite! Just beforehand, we will hold a brief PTA meeting. Look for more info coming soon.
Winter Wonderland: Our annual Winter Wonderland event will be December 7th from 9:00 am-12:00 pm. It’s a fun time for all! We are currently accepting vendor applications for the craft/vendor fair. If you make and sell crafts or know someone who does, contact Jen Cardona at: email@example.com. See attached flyer for more info.
The Silent Auction is another major part of this event. If you know a business interested in donating an item or service to the Winter Wonderland silent auction, please know items can be mailed or brought to the school or you can contact Anna Campbell for pick-up at (firstname.lastname@example.org). All contributions to the silent auction are tax deductible. See attached flyer for more info.
Shop much? Help our school through Amazon Smile and Box Tops! Check out Amazon Smile and choose Red Mill Elementary! 0.5% of eligible purchases will come back to the school, benefitting your children. Please see attachment for details. Box Tops Labels is going digital! You can still clip and turn in the labels on grocery items, but you can also download an app that allows you to easily scan your receipt! Search your app store for Box Tops and see how easy it is!
Thank you to all staff, parents, and grandparents who have joined the PTA to support Red Mill. If you have not yet joined, please consider joining. The cost for membership is $5.00 per member. We would like to reach 100% membership this year. Our local PTA funds go right back to your children. Get involved, stay informed, connect with parents, and make your voice heard! Membership forms are attached below. Email membership questions to Sarah Lewis at email@example.com
Free Access to Virginia Beach Public Library Digital Resources
Did you know that Virginia Beach students have digital access to the Virginia Beach Public Library? Through a partnership between Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) and Virginia Beach Public Library (VBPL), all K-12 students have year-round public library digital access.
Browse for resources using this link VBPL's Digital Library or access the Virginia Beach Public library through Clever. When prompted for a library card or account number, enter the following:
Login: S + VBCPS Student ID number. Example: S1234567
Password or "PIN": Date of birth in MMDD format. Example: a Jan. 1 birthday would be 0101
- Students only need their login and password to access digital resources 24/7. No physical library card is issued.
- Student accounts include public computer access at all VBPL locations except for the TCC/City Joint-Use Library.
- VBCPS accounts expire 30 days after a student graduates or leaves the VBCPS district.
- Access to Hoopla and Newsbank resources is not included in VBCPS student accounts.
- Students may also hold a Youth Library card (with parent signature) to check out physical items from the library.
Not Receiving Text Messages from the School?
Our records indicate that we still have some families not receiving text messages from the school with important reminders and transportation changes. If you have not received any text messages from Red Mill this school year, you may have not yet Opted in to receive text messages. See below for directions on how to Opt In or Opt Out of text messages.
How do I know if I have Opted-in?
You can check if you are opted-in by texting “Y” or "YES" to 67587.
How do I opt-out?
You may opt-out at any time by texting “STOP” to 67587.
What if I opted-out but later decide I would like to opt-in again?
As long as your child’s school has your text-enabled phone number on record, you may request to begin receiving text messages by texting “Y” or "YES" to 67587. If the school does not have your text-enabled number on record, you will need to contact the school.
If you would like to do any of the following regarding your child's lunch account, please visit https://www.schoolcafe.com/virginiabeachcps
· Make Payments
· Set up Auto Pay
· Set Purchase Restrictions
· Get Low Balance Alerts
· Submit Applications
· View Purchases
· View Menus
Students and their parents are encouraged to visit the Academic and Career Planning webpage to view and engage with K-12 career resources, middle and high school academic and career planning documents, and career pathway guides. Likewise, the Destination Graduation site offers students and families grade-level specific information and resources to help students and families navigate the journey from preschool to high school graduation.