Group Silver Surfers but actually just Team Silver
Books Not Bullets!
All About our Topic
2018 School Shootings
There have already been 18 reported school shootings across the nation.
K-9 Unit Sniffing Students' Lockers
One possible idea we have to lower the rates of school shootings is to implement K-9 searches in schools. They will be randomized, and will not invade privacy of the students.
School shooting ranking since 1999
School shootings over time have increased, and do not show that they will decrease on their own.
K-9 Unit Sniffing Students' Lockers
What the Experts say:
We had a conference call with Dr. George Kazanas, the Superintendent of Midway I.S.D. These are some of the things that he suggested:
· Anybody can make a difference;
· That the Expert and team agreed with the concept of using canine unit for searches randomly;
· Some people act out because they are lonely;
· Some kids feel disappointed or discouraged when they go home;
· Let your voice be heard if it is something you are passionate about;
· Teachers need training for emergency situations (gun shootings);
· Younger kids can meet the dog, to understand why the dog is there and be less scared;
· Try to do your best to be considerate and listen to other people’s opinions;
What other people had to say:
1. Do you think its a good idea to implement emergency drills in schools for active shooters?
7 people replied yes and 0 people said no
Comments: Many people said they will much safer if they knew what to do.
2. Do you think K-9 unit searches for drugs and weapons will be a good idea in schools?
8 people said yes and 3 people said no
Comments: Many told us to take into consideration that some students may be scared of dogs.
3. Would a bag search or metal detectors be a good idea to prevent school shootings. Will students be comfortable with it?
2 people said that bag searches will be okay and 2 people said metal detectors will be okay and 8 people said no.
Comments: The main concern with metal detectors and bag searches is that it is an invasion of privacy. Students may not want officials to find other things they may not be able to bring to school, like games, and would feel scared they might get in trouble for other things.
4. Do you think students can make a difference in school safety?
12 people said yes and 0 said no
Many said that the cause of school shootings can be both bullying and conflict at home.
Emergency drills are similar to fire drills, expect they will teach staff and students how to respond to an active shooter on campus. Students need to practice for these emergencies so that they know what to do and are prepared in those situations.
K-9 unit searches and bag searches will happen randomly to prevent students from bringing guns and drugs to school with them. A K-9 unit, for those who don't know, it is a dog that is trained to assist police officers. These dogs are specifically trained to locate things that do no belong at schools. The bag searches would be conducted by school safety officers or other school administration. To prepare students and parents for this additional security measure, flyers and letters will be sent home with additional information.
We will raise awareness about ways to prevent negative things from happening at schools as well. We plan to create and put up posters first to raise awareness of safety measures. The posters will created by clubs in the schools, such as Student Council, Honor Society, and other groups. We will also be making bracelets to pass out to students to wear about this measure, and hope to provide better training to school counselors to prevent violent actions beforehand.
We would like feedback!
1. Go to menti.com
2. Type in 47 36 93
3. Submit responses!
Group 4 Campers: About Us
Why did we choose this topic??
I learned that the root cause of school shootings is bullying.
I learned that creating a Facebook page is a tactic for advocating.
I learned that advocacy means to stand up for an issue.
I learned how to advocate for an issue in my community.
I learned what the Salvation Army reaches out to men, women, and children in need.
I learned that issues in the community are bigger than we all think.
I learned that Bill Flores is our Congressman, and he represents us in the U.S. House of Representatives.
I learned why school shootings are so dangerous.
I learned how to listen to others' opinions.