SMS GIANT News
October 8, 2021
No School this Monday, October 11th- Teacher In-service Day
2nd Quarter starting this Tuesday, October 12th- Here are some important tips for you and your child:
- have an opportunity to start a fresh, clean slate behaviorally and academically- they all start out with an A
- can plan out in advance how and when they may work on assignments- prioritize!
- should clean out their backpack (it is amazing at what they might find in there)
- should restock their school supplies (pencils, paper, highlighters etc...)
- should plan for taking care of the brand new Chromebook they will receive at the end of the week, purchase earbuds to bring to class
- should make a plan with you (and on their own as well) to check Homelink weekly
- should look at their 2nd quarter schedule for any new classes BEFORE they come to school on Tuesday (important for 6th grade rotations)
We currently have 390 completed and we have 886 students. We need to have ONE filled out for EACH student. Thank you in advance for doing so. More info in this newsletter.
Chromebooks distributed this coming Thursday and Friday in your child's PE class.
The time has finally come and we are so excited to be distributing a brand new Chromebook to each of our students this Thursday, Oct 14th and Friday, Oct 15th during your child's PE class. Chromebooks will be in a protective case. Students will be expected to bring their school-issued Chromebook back and forth to school each day. They will also need to bring it already charged. We will have a few spare power cords in classrooms just in case but students are to LEAVE THE POWER CORDS HOME so they do not get misplaced.
It is important that we have all of our amilies read the Device Agreement Handbook (attachment to PDF's in English and Spanish below) and fill out the Chromebook User Agreement form PRIOR to distributing devices.
Please FILL out this form for your student if you haven't yet done so (currently have 250 out of 886 completed)
- An Electronic Chromebook User Agreement Google Form to acknowledge that you have reviewed the agreement handbook (must be filled out by every family- ONE for EACH child being given a Chromebook)
- Insurance for the device through a third-party company that our district has contracted with for this wonderful 1:1 program. The nominal fee is $21.95 a year. This would cover just about any damage( mechanical failure, accidental damage, flood, fire, vandalism and more). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED as replacement for the device, case, and charger is $300.
- Parent/Student Use and Device Handbook (in English and Spanish, attachment below)
**Please note- You will need the asset tag number to obtain insurance which can be found on the device ONCE your child is issued their very own Chromebook.
This 1:1 Technology Distribution is for ALL students and will be a part of our curriculum moving forward just as a textbook would be. We are so thankful for this especially now that we have had situations where having a Chromebook at home would allow students to stay connected when they are having to stay home due to quarantining, isolation, or any other reason. Personal devices will not function on our campus as they will not connect or "speak" to the district's network.
TIPS -Things to consider-
- Purchasing earbuds to use with Chromebook for your child to take to and from school
- Chromebooks need to come to school each day charged
- Powercords stay at home, classrooms will have extra powercords if needed.
- If you would like to purchase the insurance, you will need identifying information that will be on the particular Chromebook they receive.
No glassware please!
Lost and Found
DAILY VIDEO BULLETIN
SMS Campus Happenings...
Beautiful Tessellation art work displayed in our office
Lost and Found
On Wednesday, Oct 13th all clothes in the Lost and Found will be laid out to help students identify their items. Any clothes not claimed will be donated to Good Will. If you think your child lost something, please remind them to check it out durign their lunch on Wednesday.
SMS College Wednesday Crew
Proudly wearing our College shirts on Wednesdays in support of "College and Career readiness" awareness for students.
Lost and Found
OTHER IMPORTANT RESOURCES TO REFERENCE...
FREE 2 -month bus pass for students, see below…
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself and your student with our updated Dress Code.
Grab your popcorn and the rest of your family and learn about all of the wonderfully cool and exciting events taking place at SMS. See the creative ways our students broadcast important messages and happenings at Sequoia Middle.
Please check this link periodically for the most up to date information regarding the FREE MDUSD Testing sites for our MDUSD families.
Click here for past Friday letters. Dr. Clark will also send out the most recent Friday Letter in Parent Square so keep an eye out for it to keep up to date with MDUSD events and happenings in our district!
Mon, Oct. 11th- Staff In-Service Day- No school for students
Thurs, October 14th- Make-up Picture Day 8-11 in the library
Thurs & Fri- October 14th and 15th- Chromebook distribution in PE classes
Friday, October 29th- Coffee with Keck on Zoom @ 8:15
Thurs, November 11th- School Closed for Veteran's Day
MDUSD Title IX Non- Discrimination Statement
The Governing Board is committed to providing equal opportunity for all individuals in education. District programs, activities, facilities and practices shall be free from discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identify, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, actual or potential parental, family, marital status, or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics (Governing Board Policy 0410).
Contact Us / How to File a ComplaintFor questions, concerns or complaints regarding student harassment, discrimination, intimidation and bullying, please contact Jennifer Sachs, Chief of Educational Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (925) 682-8000 x4016.