OCS Summer Scholars Weekly Update
Gravelly Hill Middle School
Summer Scholars Session 1 - Week 3
What a great 1st session to our Summer Academy! A HUGE thank you goes out to our students, families, and especially, our teachers for making the OCS Summer Scholars Academy at Gravelly Hill Middle School such a wonderful experience. We are looking forward to coming back on July 12 to start Session 2!
Another newsletter with information about Session 2 will be sent next Friday, July 9th. Have a safe holiday weekend!
Crystal B. Medlin
GHMS Summer Scholars Program Coordinator
- Math - Students completed Session 1 reflections...see some of their quotes below!
- Notes 4 Notes - producers have led small student groups over the last 3 weeks, and they have created some amazing performance pieces. Musical compositions, podcasts, storytelling, and sound mixing were just some of the skills learned by our students in the Notes 4 Notes program. Returning students will continue in the course and begin a new project alongside of new session 2 students, teachers, and producers! They'll be our experts and we look forward to their leadership in the Notes 4 Notes classrooms.
- Nuvu - students finalized their temporary installations on Thursday. Students have been working hard to complete the final product and they look great! See a few pictures below of some of the installations placed around the school. In session 2, students will be presented with a whole new 3-week project and can help our new students for Summer Scholars Session 2.
- DreamGirls/STEM HD - students continued coding! They started week 1 with basic coding and by week 3 they were using Python programming to complete a variety of tasks using their STEM kits. Students have really enjoyed the program and look forward to continuing Session 2 with all new challenges!
Session 1 Student Reflections...
What did I accomplish this week?
- Finished making a song in Notes 4 Notes!
- I read A LOT!
- I accomplished a lot in my session when I come to Khan Academy and ST Math. I've accomplished a lot of math
- Pretty much EVERYTHING!
- Kept my brain stimulated
- Making friends and practicing more physical activity
- A LOT! Making friends, having fun with the teachers, learning a lot about adding and subtracting fractions
- I made new friends!
What do I know better at the end of this week than at the beginning?
- How to make music!
- Mood words
- I think I've gotten a lot better at analyzing questions...so I'm happy for that
- A better understanding of Algebra
- I know how to navigate through the school
- Math, ELA, and reading
- Adding and subtracting fractions
- Just try a bit more work and study more
What did I struggle with this week?
- Understanding combining like terms
- Some of the Algebra
- Adding and subtracting fractions
- Dividing fractions
- Paying attention
What did I like best about this class this week?
- GimKit...and DONUTS!
- Games in class
- I liked by teacher! She is GREAT!
- It was decent - actually a bit better than I expected...
- I liked lunch and ELA
- I liked that summer school was my place to vent, away from home. I'll be upset when I leave but I remember all the people I met because I know I won't see them again in a long time.
- I liked all my homeroom classmates
- The conversation I had with my mom this morning and the organization and rules of the school in general.
- Making friends and playing "Take the Bacon" game
- Playing "Trust No One"
- Making new friends