Kingdoms of Africa
By Julianne Sulski
The Kingdom of Ghana
- It was located in the upper Niger River valley, between the Sahara and tropical forests along the West Africa coast.
- The government they had was with kings that were strong rulers who governed without any laws.
- Their economy was based off of farming, iron ore, and gold.
- The kingdom ended because it was weakened by the wars and collapsed in the 1100s.
The Kingdom of Mali
- It was located in Atlantic coast, but it extends far inland to the famous city of Timbuktu.
- The government they has was ruled by Sundiata Keita where he united the people of Mali and created a strong government for them.
- Their economy was based off of gold, salt trade, but mostly farming (grains such as sorghum, millet and rice).
- The kingdom ended because their civil war divided Mali.
The Kingdom of Songhai
- It was located in the Niger River, south if the bend.
- The government they has was ruled by a ruler named Kossi who converted to Islam and established the Dia dynasty.
- Their economy was based off of gold and a variety of salt trade.
- The kingdom ended because near the end of the 16th century, the forces of the sultan of Morocco occupied too much of Songhai