News from the Nest
September 29, 2017
The Week Ahead
- Deadline to complete Volunteer form (Hands Across the District) online!
Monday 10/2 (day 2)
Tuesday 10/3 (day 3)
- NO Communicators sent home this week
Wednesday 10/4 (day 4)
Thursday 10/5 (day 1)
- Domino's Pizza Day at lunch
Friday 10/6 (day 2)
- VF Spirit Day - wear Blue and Yellow/Gold or VF Spirit Wear!
- Student Directory forms due (download directory form)
Hands Across the District - Volunteer Sign Up
Vernfield needs you! Home & School plans and runs many events and programs throughout the school year for students and families. None of these are possible without volunteers! TODAY, Friday, September 29, is the deadline to complete the online Hands Across the District form. It takes just a few short minutes to complete, and there are opportunities that require as much or little time as you are able to contribute. There are also jobs that can be done completely from home! Thank you in advance for your help!
Save the Date!
- 7-8pm Home & School Meeting. Location: Library
- Parent/Teacher Conference Forms sent home in Communicators
- Veteran's Day Invitations sent home in Communicators
- Parent/Teacher Conference Forms due
- 5th Grade Field Trip
- NO SCHOOL - Act 80 Day for Teachers
Monday 10/16 - Friday 10/20
- Character Counts week! Students wear a different color each day representing character traits
- Mon: Purple for Citizenship
- Tues: Green for Responsibility
- Wed: Gold for Respect
- Thurs: Blue for Honesty
- Fri: Red for Caring
- Friday is also Hats On Day for Character Counts week! $.50 to participate, proceeds benefit the Indian Valley Character Counts! Coalition
Monday 10/16 - Wednesday 10/18
- TB Testing at VF for Volunteers
- 3rd Grade Field Trip
- Decorated Pumpkin Dropoff (8-9am, 12:30-1pm)
TB Testing for Volunteers
Box Tops Collection Has Begun!
Each year, Vernfield holds a contest between each grade to see who can bring in the most box tops over the course of the year. Each month, volunteers take all of those little clippings home that students and teachers bring in, sort them, trim them, and count them. A running count is kept to see which grade is in the lead for the contest. At the end of the year, the grade that brings in the most box tops wins a party prize of their choice (with some help from their teachers of course!). Past prizes have been a Rita's water ice party out in the playground, a pizza party, wear your pj's to school day.
The collection boxes are in each pod so if you were saving up those box tops from over the summer, it's time to send them in with your child. Take the time to clip that dime!
Kidstuff Book Sale
UPDATED! Printable Events Calendar
- Jumpin' Jacks family event on 11/10
- New date for Science Rocks: 12/1
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms Game on 1/27
Information about these events will be coming home in the following months.
- Race for Education- We are currently looking for a Committee Chair(s) to run our primary fundraiser, Race for Education. We depend on this large fundraiser at the end of the year to fund the following year. We need to get a team together soon so we can have trainers come in to teach us how to run the new online version of Race. If you are interested, please contact Meg Dick firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yearbook- Our current Yearbook committee is looking for help with this year's Yearbook as well as someone to begin learning the website. The students love receiving the Yearbook each year and it is a great way to preserve memories from year to year. If you are interested, please contact Sandra Esposito at email@example.com.
- Holiday Shoppe- Our Holiday Shoppe Committee is looking for some leadership help during the student shopping days, especially in the mornings. Holiday Shoppe will be held from December 4-8th and is a time where students can purchase holiday gifts for family members and learn the joy of giving. If you are interested, please contact Sandra Esposito at firstname.lastname@example.org or Diane Gerhart at email@example.com.
- Sundae Bar- We are looking for someone to shadow our current Sundae Bar Chair, Sheila Hercek. Sundae Bar happens four times a year. The coordinator helps find 6 volunteers for each Sundae Bar as well as 8-10 volunteers to help with Holiday Luncheon. If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity, please contact Sheila Hercek firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder: all volunteers must fill out the Registration and Disclosure Statement and return it to the office. There are also copies available in the Vernfield office.
Information about additional clearances needed can be found here.