PLANO SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
PSHS eNews: Where the Wildcat Nation Gets Its Information
Tuesday, December 8, 2015
* * * * * * * * * * * * * ADMINISTRATIVE UPDATES * * * * * * * * * * * * *
PSHS Who’s Who Award
Since 1976 PSHS teachers have nominated outstanding Seniors for the honor of being considered for the Who’s Who Award that is highlighted in the PSHS Yearbook. Criteria: Senior, GPA of at least 3.5, school involvement, and community service. The list of nominated Seniors is posted as of Monday, Nov. 30, across from the Fishbowl in Bldg. B. If a student’s name is on the list and they are interested in being considered by the Who’s Who Selection Committee, which consists of five or six PSHS staff members, they should stop by the Activities Office as soon as possible and see Mrs. Fry to pick up an application and information letter with further instructions. APPLICATIONS ARE DUE NO LATER THAN WED., DEC. 9, 2015 at 12 NOON to Mrs. Fry. Forms submitted after that date will not be eligible for consideration by the committee.
SEMESTER EXAM ACCOMMODATIONS
An exam signup sheet is now available in A230 for students who need accommodations for semester exams and will test in the library. Students who usually test in Learning Lab and need oral testing, alternate site, or extra time MUST sign up NO LATER THAN THURSDAY, DEC. 10th. At the senior high school, this is a student responsibility! Teachers do not arrange for accommodated semester exams. Students should stop by A230 as soon as possible to sign up or to ask a question about receiving accommodations on semester exams.
Plano ISD Facilities and Technology Study Task Force Seeks Parent and Community Feedback
The Facilities and Technology Study Task Force, assembled by the Plano ISD Board of Trustees in August, is hosting a public hearing to gather community input as they evaluate district needs with regard to a possible bond initiative. I encourage our parent community to attend this public forum, as this will be your opportunity to provide feedback or ask questions related to the committee’s work of reviewing enrollment trends and projections, as well as establishing construction, renovation and technology needs. The hearing will be hosted as follows:
Facilities and Technology Study Task Force Public Hearing
Thursday, December 17, 2015, 6:00 p.m.
Plano Senior High School Doyle Dean Performing Arts Center
2200 Independence Pkwy, Plano, TX 75075
Speaker cards will be required from all who wish to speak at the hearing and will be available beginning at 5:30 p.m. through the end of the meeting.
Additional opportunities for input are available at the regular school board meetings scheduled for January 12 and February 2, 2016, and via district e-mail at email@example.com. For more information on the work of the Facilities and Technology Study Task Force, please visit the Plano ISD website at: http://www.pisd.edu/news/2016bond/index.shtml.
CALLING ALL CATS...Jan. 14, 2016
A special evening is coming up for all 8th and 10th grade students, parents, and current students at Plano Senior High School….CALLING ALL CATS, Thurs., Jan. 14, 2016, 6:30 – 8 pm! Please plan to attend this informational evening and learn all about the wonderful opportunities at Plano Senior High School. You’ll be able to purchase spirit wear and visit with incredible senior high teachers regarding course study, learn about all of our award-winning performance art and visual arts programs, and become familiar with all the fabulous coaches for all Wildcat sports. The entire campus will be open for you to visit.
NHS OFFERS TUTORING
Attendance Reminders – It is vital for students to be in school. Please remember these state guidelines
- Notes must be turned in within three days for makeup work to be allowed. Unexcused absences could result in zeroes on assignments.
- Beyond 10 absences, students must turn in doctor’s notes.
- Three tardies in a class equals an absence.
- Chronic absences will result in an intervention plan that may include loss of open campus lunch, Saturday Schools, and mandatory tutorials.
- Continued absences can result in loss of credit for a course and truancy being filed.
- Students absent more than 10 consecutive days will be withdrawn.
Please work with your sub school principal to avoid these difficult situations. Most importantly, be in school!
FROM THE REGISTRAR
If you have a college deadline that falls between December 18th & January 5th, you must have your transcript requests to us BY Thursday, December 17th. The Registrar’s Office will be CLOSED from December 18th (last day of exams) through January 4th. Please plan accordingly
FROM THE NURSE
Allergy, Cold and Flu season is coming….
Per PISD policy these are the medical reasons for exclusion from school. Please remember the school clinic does not have any medications that we can give students. Medications can only be given to a student if the proper medication form is signed and the medicine is brought to the clinic from home. If the student is sent home from the clinic a note from the parent must be taken to sub-school for the absence to be excused. Below are the symptoms I am allowed to send students home from school with.
A student with any of the following symptoms will be excluded from
school until such time as the student is free of symptoms, has been satisfactorily treated or submits a signed physician’s statement that he/she is not contagious.
- Temperature of 100 degrees or more. Student must be fever free
for 24 hours, without medication, before re-entry.
- Pain and/or swelling at angle of jaw.
- Undetermined rash over any part of the body.
- Undiagnosed scaly patches on the body or scalp.
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. Student must be symptom free for 24 hours without medication before re-entry.
- Red, draining eyes.
- Intense itching with signs and symptoms of secondary infection.
- Open, draining lesions.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * COUNSELING UPDATES * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
SPRING DUAL ENROLLMENT
COLLEGE APPLICATION REMINDERS
Seniors, many of you are in the process of working on your college applications so here are some important reminders:
- use the Common Application if the college accepts it
- you must connect your Common Application to your Naviance account (for the school to send your transcript, the school report and recommendation letters)
- you must sign the FERPA waiver before your teacher and counselor can send your recommendation letter
- all recommendation letters must formally be requested in Naviance
- request all teacher letters of recommendation in Naviance ( Colleges Tab--- Colleges I’m Applying To). Make sure to talk to your teachers as well!
- you must complete and submit a blue packet to your counselor for school reports and recommendations at least three weeks before your deadline
- if you no longer need a recommendation letter from a teacher please have the courtesy to cancel the request in Naviance and to let the teacher know in person.
- all transcript requests must be requested in Naviance.
- if you are no longer going to apply to a school remove it from "Colleges I am Applying To"
- don't wait until the last minute to complete your application
EVOLUTION & PERCUSSION PERFORMANCES
On Thursday, Dec. 10th you do not want to miss the Evolution Performance at 6:30pm in the PSHS Theatre, as well as the Percussion Winter Panyard & Fete Performance at 7:30pm in the Cafeteria. Both performances are FREE and open to the public. Come experience wonderful music from the PSHS Orchestra!
*IMPORTANT* PISD STANDARD RESPONSE PROTOCOL
Parents: PLEASE READ the attachments from PISD safety and security about the Standard Response Protocol in case of an emergency. Thank you!
PLANO ISD INFOCENTER
SchoolMessenger has been updated to now include the InfoCenter mobile app. This allows our parents to login and control how they receive communications from their school or district.
The InfoCenter app provides access to all their messages and information sent by PISD (campus and district). This will be accessible from any internet-enabled device and visually displays and organizes alerts, notifications, and attachments for review and reference. InfoCenter app also allows parents to customize how they receive communications from us. Parents have been asking for this and it will help them get messaging the way they want to receive it.
Parent will sign up for the InfoCenter app using the email address that they have on file with the district. This is the one they provide on the emergency card.
They will download the InfoCenter SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market. They can also access the InfoCenter web portal at https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com/
We have provided a link on the online Emergency Card (Parent/Guardian Information tab) with all the information they will need to sign up if they choose to do this. Here is what they now see.
The contact information you provide below (Email Address and Phone Numbers) is used for school communication to you, either individually or in mass. Our automated notification system has a website and apps for iPhone and Android that will allow you to specify how the notification system contacts you. This link for the SchoolMessenger InfoCenter will open in a new browser window or tab and you’ll use the email address you have provided to us below to log in. Be sure to finish your child’s emergency card first and always be sure to sign on the last tab. Once complete, explore the InfoCenter and let us know if you have any questions.
Let me know if you have any questions....
Below is some verbiage that you may wish to use for your newsletters.
Plano ISD has implemented InfoCenter, allowing you to better control how you receive communications from your school or district. The following is a guide to help you get started.
What is InfoCenter?: InfoCenter provides access to all the messages and information sent by your organization. Accessible from any internet-enabled device, InfoCenter visually displays and organizes alerts, notifications, and attachments for easy review and reference. InfoCenter also allows you to customize how you receive communications from PISD (campus and district).
How do I sign up for InfoCenter?: Signing up for InfoCenter is easy. Using the email address that you have on file for your district (emergency card), follow these three steps:
1. Download the InfoCenter by SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market. You can also access the InfoCenter web portal at https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com/
2. Click the “New User” button, enter your email address, and create a password. An email will be sent to that address with a secure token. Note: If you receive an “already claimed by another user account” error message that means you’ve already created a SchoolMessenger account via another SchoolMessenger product, such as Contact Manager. Simply follow the “Return to login” link and login. Use the “Forgot your password” link if needed.
3. After authenticating via the token sent to your email, return to InfoCenter and sign in using your email and password.
What’s in InfoCenter?:Once you’ve created your account, the records associated with your email address will be linked automatically. You can then:
- View the records associated with your account.
- Review the last 30 days worth of messages for all your associated records.
- View your contact information, and configure how you’d like to receive notifications.
Important Things to Know:
- Regardless of how you choose to receive notifications, all messages associated with your records will be retained in the InfoCenter inbox for 30 days.
- You can opt into receiving Device Notifications (Push) under Notification Preferences. When choosing to receive Device Notifications, a badge or alert will appear when you receive new communications from Plano ISD.
Our provider, SchoolMessenger, makes the security and privacy of your data a top priority. As one of over 100 approved signatories to Student Privacy Pledge, you can feel ensured that your student’s information is safe and will never be sold, rented or shared.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
~ ~ ~ PSHS...TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE ~ ~ ~
Plano Senior High School
Plano Senior High School Website:
PSHS PTSA Website: