Woodland Park Middle School
Back to School Information
Welcome to the 2020-2021 School Year
There are many unknowns about what school will look like this year and it is easy to get lost in all of the "what if" scenarios and "what about" questions. While the "what if" and "what about" questions help us to make wise decisions, I would like us to shift our focus on what we do know. And what I do know about WPMS is that we are a team of caring and dedicated educators that will work hard to provide a safe and healthy learning community where students are challenged, feel connected and know that they matter. We know that we are going to embrace who we are and continue to inspire and empower our students and staff. Teller County is a strong, caring community and WPMS will continue to put relationships first as we maneuver through what school looks like this fall.
You know your children and family needs best. We will respect whatever schooling decision you make for your family and know that it will be the right decision. We miss the kids and are excited to connect with them whether it is in person or remotely.
Please take some time to read this newsletter and check our district web page for the most up to date information. We will get new details out to you as soon as we have them.
Take care and be safe,
Yvonne Goings, Principal
Erin Street, Assistant Principal
WPMS Athletic & Activity Update
WPMS is following the guidance of the Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSSA). CHSSA recently announced its 2020-2021 interscholastic athletics and activities calendar, following months of collaboration with Gov. Jared Polis, the CHSAA Resocialization Task Force, the Sports Medicine Advisory Committee, the state's COVID-19 Response team, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, and the CHSAA Board of Directors and administrative staff.
For WPMS this means that the only sport/activity will be Cross Country.
Cross Country will be limited to 14 participants (7 boys, 7 girls). The season starts on August 17th with individual tryouts. Tryouts will run Monday, August 17th through Wednesday, August 19th. Any student interested in trying out must sign up for a tryout slot. CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP.
Important information regarding tryouts: Athletes will run the mile loop starting and finishing at the middle school. Fastest times will qualify for the team, and students will be notified by Thursday, August 20. Athletes will need to bring all registration forms (including a current physical form) to their individual tryouts. Forms can be found on the WPMS website.
Sadly, all other activities and athletics will be cancelled for the fall semester. This includes mountain bike club, football, and volleyball. Guidelines for the spring semester will be forthcoming.
If you have immediate questions or concerns, please contact Nicole Geniesse (WPMS Athletic Director) email@example.com.
- Lockers will not be used at the middle school during Phase 3 reintegration plans.
- Open House will not be held this year in order to maintain a healthy environment in our building.
- Building Access is very limited during Phase 3 reintegration plans. According to the plan: Visitors are asked to remain in their vehicle or front foyer (following health protocols – such as masks – and based on capacity guidelines) Scheduled school-business appointments with administration, mental health staff, and/or interventionists available following strict health protocols, including designated meeting spaces and escorts.
- Volunteers will not be allowed on campus until further notice.
- WPMS athletics will follow league and CHSSA guidelines. We are awaiting final confirmation on all fall sports.
- Students begin school on August 25th. This allows for four additional staff training days in order to create a healthy environment at school and training for a robust remote learning experience.
WPMS 2020-2021 Fall Semester Hours
- Student Hours: 9am-2pm
- Staff Hours: 7:15am-3:15pm
Mrs. Yvonne Goings, Principal
Mrs. Goings is starting her 28th year in education and her 14th year at WPMS. She is also a graduate of the Woodland Park School District. Mrs. Goings enjoys walking her dog and spending time with her family. This year she is excited to be working primarily with our 6th grade students, families, and teachers.
Mrs. Erin Street, Assistant Principal
Mrs. Street is starting her 19th year a WPMS. She enjoys family snowboarding adventures and mountain biking. This year she will be working with the 7th and 8th grade students, families, and teachers.
Mrs. Nicole Geniesse, Dean of Curriculum & Instruction
Mrs.Geniesse is starting at her 7th year at WPMS. She is enjoying the toddler years with her son. She also likes to fish and watch WPHS basketball games. Mrs. Geniesse works with students on academic plans. She also serves as the WPMS Athletic Director.