Eno River High School Counselor
Quarter #2 2018-19 Elizabeth Tricomi
Career Day 2018
Dr. John Loftin
Author and local attorney
Business PhD student for US Air force contracts & acquisitions
Corporal Ashley Peele
Works with Detectives in Orange County Sheriff's office
Firefighter--Captain of Durham City Fire department
Abigail Jacobsen and 2 lineman from Piedmont Electric
Lineman for Electric company
Social scientist--non-profit, academic, & consulting perspectives
Social Worker helping individuals with disabilities
Musician- Plays banjo, guitar, harmonic, mandolin, ukulele and sings!
Photographer (local) with business degree
Reality Check Classroom lessons
Students used their College Foundation of North Carolina to research this information.
Advisory Lessons during 2nd Quarter
Healthy Relationships: Digital Abuse
Piedmont Electric Opportunities
Piedmont Electric Opportunities
Copies of the lessons are available on my website.
Piedmont Electric Presents Opportunities to Juniors & Seniors
1. College Scholarships
- Each year we give $2,000 scholarships to graduating high school seniors. Last year, we awarded seven scholarships and we’re expecting to do the same again in 2019.
- We also have an opportunity for a student to help us recruit donors for our blood drives with the American Red Cross. If we have 25 donors, then that student is qualified for a scholarship through the American Red Cross!
2. Piedmont Electric Summer Internship Program
- During the summer, we have a paid six week lineman internship for rising high school juniors and seniors. They will work with our crews out in the field and spend time in the home office with engineering, member services, accounting, IT, safety among other departments. We also have a video to share that features some of our past lineman interns.
- This past year, we also had a Member Services and Public Relations intern. While we don’t know if we’ll have internships in addition to the lineman one, it would be great to get students thinking about the possibility.
3. Annual Youth Tour in Washington D.C.
- The annual Youth Tour is an awesome opportunity for rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors! If selected, they spend a full week in Washington D.C. with other high schoolers from both North Carolina and across the country. They tour our nation’s monuments and museums, enjoy a wide variety of experiences like a river boat tour, baseball game and/or musical, and make lifelong friendships. We also have a video to show featuring past youth tourists as well. Last year was our first time of sending two students on this trip and we’re hoping to be able to send two again in 2019!
Freshman Individual Meetings
* Transition to high school and/or transition to new school
* What factors they like or dislike about school
* Clubs or extracurricular activities they are involved in both at school and outside school
* Favorite class and why?
* Connections with any teachers or staff
* Career Goals
* College Interests
10th grade Individual Meetings
* Current year goals and progress
* Additional thoughts and plans about post graduation including colleges
* New career thoughts and/or ideas
* Discussion of Dual enrollment opportunities in Junior & Senior years--GPA and test requirements
* Building their resume activities and experiences