Fifth Grade PEAK
September 22, 2014
- Class Slogan: Epic Turners are the "Awesomest" Learners. Unfortunately we didn't have any submissions for a class illustration so we won't have an illustrated slogan to display. Today was the last day to turn it in to me.
- Homework: If your child did not fill out the Google Survey on 5th grade brain topic survey- it is homework.
THEME: THE BRAIN
- Today we reviewed online research tools - how to be safe when searching online.
- Students spent time reading books and looking at websites to try to determine a brain topic to research. This was a BIG day to narrow our focus down to one research topic! We narrowed our brain topic using the ISSA tool - Interest, size, simplicity, and access.
- Students filled out a Google survey form about their topic. The survey form can be found under Students Resources on my webpage. If your child did not fill this in during class,he/she needs to complete it at home.
- Topic Study: Essential questions should be written. Your child can click on the Essential Question Powerpoint on my Student Resource page on the PEAK webpage. I will give students feedback to help refine/hone essential questions. Students are doing an amazing job taking notes and planning projects. I love the focus!
- Math: Problem solving --- This math is notably harder than previous years. Persistence is the key! There is great dialogue occurring while students are solving problems. I love to see the student engagement and application of problem solving skills.
- Science: We finished our second science experiment. Our Testable Question: Will a Styrofoam or plastic cup collect more solar energy? Each student wrote a hypothesis, created data tables, conducted the experiment, recorded and averaged results. WOW! I am so proud of the students hard work. All information was recorded using Google Classroom. Next week, when students finish conclusions and graphs, they will submit the entire experiment to me via Google Classroom (electronically).
Note Taking Tips
Note Taking Study Tip - we took a pretest. Here is a video to show you the steps to our note taking procedure. We will take notes this year on Evernote.
- Actively using Google Classroom (we are even writing goals electronically)
- Signed up for a PEAK Powtoons Account
Twitter link: (found on my webpage)
- Students can "tweet" in 140 characters or less - something they learned in PEAK. We are posting tweets weekly on my board "tweets from PEAK"
- Students learned to check out books electronically from my classroom library. I love to read and want to promote the love of reading!
- Online note taking application used during Topic Study