5th Grade Newsletter
May 2, 2016
The next round of STAAR testing is next week.
Monday, May 9th - 5th grade Math Retakes, 3rd and 4th grade Math
Tuesday, May 10th -5th grade Reading Retakes, 3rd and 4th grade Reading
Wednesday, May 11th - 5th grade Science
Please make sure your student gets a good night's rest and has a healthy breakfast the morning of testing. The school will be serving free breakfast for all students who are testing on those days.
The Burleson Character March will be on March 7th at Burleson High School. Bring your family and come out to support Norwood!
We have an agreement with the Parenting Center to offer three workshops at Norwood from 6:30-7:30 pm on the following dates:
- Tuesday, May 3 - Positive Discipline - “How can I effectively discipline my child while showing love and respect?” This class teaches parents how to lead children toward smarter decisions rather than simply punish disobedience. Participants will learn how to implement choices and consequences, ways to prevent misbehavior, and how to consider the child’s unique temperament when planning discipline.
- Tuesday, May 17 - Making Rules and Enforcing Consequences - “Do you really mean it this time?” Learn the steps for establishing clear expectations and for implementing effective consequences. This class is especially helpful for parents of older children.
The talent show will be on May 24th at 1:30 pm.
5th Grade Happenings
We had such a great time with your kiddos at Camp Carter! Thank you to all the parents who helped chaperon.
May 20th - 4th and 5th grade field day at BHS Stadium
May 31st - K-3 Field Day
Please remember that we will continue to monitor student behavior to determine if they are eligible for field day. Students must continue to display appropriate, responsible and respectful behavior in order to participate in this fun event. A contract from Coach Barton was sent home last week. Please send this back signed ASAP!
In the Science Lab
The Reading Corner
Blast from the Past
- Read, Read, Read
- Practice Multiplication Facts
- Math notes and vocabulary words are posted on Miss Finley's website
- Apply concepts to everyday activities
- Spelling words and Reading Comprehension Thinking Stems are located on Ms. Cooper's website
- Khan Academy videos and practice
- Clay Piggy
- Moby Max